• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luol Deng spoke with Bud on Thursday (Ferry is about to make a move)

Diesel

I can see us offering Deng 4 yrs at 50 Million with a 3rd year TO.  This would give him an average close to 12..

Moreover, that team of:

Teague, Korver, Deng, Sap, Horf... would be monsters...

I would be seriously PISSED if we gave Deng anywhere near 12 million. 

Personally, I think Thabo will be part of the MLE once we are over the cap. We did that last year holding off making Carroll's signing official to offer further flexibility.

@hawksfanatic corrected us on that last night, we won't have the full MLE. We'll have the 2.5 million (or whatever it is) for non-tax paying teams. So Thabo can't fit under that. 

• Premium Member

That's not hard to accomplish when you played a 38 win team and the Washington Wizards.

Both teams were probably better than their record showed, I'm sure you can admit that. Not saying they advanced past great teams but the record doesn't really give us or Washington justice. Indy did have a much easier path than any Western team but we also play in the east.

Assuming LeBron stays and we add Horf and Deng (potentially swap Monroe for Millsap) who is better than us in the East besides Miami?

That's not hard to accomplish when you played a 38 win team and the Washington Wizards.

We're really getting into the weeds at this point, but the Wizards were definitely better than their record showed last year. They spent huge chunks of the season without the services of Gortat and Nene. As soon as they got them both back and both healthy, they became a monster. Well, at least a monster by Eastern Conference standards. :laugh:

• Like 2

Both teams were probably better than their record showed, I'm sure you can admit that. Not saying they advanced past great teams but the record doesn't really give us or Washington justice. Indy did have a much easier path than any Western team but we also play in the east.

Assuming LeBron stays and we add Horf and Deng (potentially swap Monroe for Millsap) who is better than us in the East besides Miami?

I think Deng helps the Hawks top out at 46 wins at the max. We will have to see if Indiana regroups, but they clearly had chemistry issues in the second half of the season. This team also had a severe losing streak near the end of the season. The Nets were one of the best teams in the conference in the second half of the season, but they will get Lopez back... And they hired Lionel Hollins as head coach. Washington is an up and coming team even if they were not that great last year.

We would def have one of the top starting fives in the east but it's hard to say who's better than us or who we are better than until we see what are bench looks like.

However If we add deng and hill to come off the bench we will probably have a top 4 east team. Pacers are on their way down so I should say top 3.

We're really getting into the weeds at this point, but the Wizards were definitely better than their record showed last year. They spent huge chunks of the season without the services of Gortat and Nene. As soon as they got them both back and both healthy, they became a monster. Well, at least a monster by Eastern Conference standards. :laugh:

Indy sucked after the all-star break. The Indy team the Hawks played in the first round is not the same one from the first half of the season. It's really not for debate I don't think.

Washington didn't look like a monster in the 2nd round of the playoffs. When push came to shove they just didn't pack enough of a punch even for and Indy team that was in shambles. If Washington was a monster they would have beaten that Indy team.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

If Deng signs, then I'm thinking

Teague - Dennis - (Mack)

Korver - Sefolosha - Jenk

Deng - Carroll

Millsap - (Scott) - Payne

Horford - (Antić or Brand) - Muscala  

That lineup is built to play top five D on the perimeter. We would oust Indy or Washington with out a doubt; and would give the aging Heat, Wade in particular, fits in the conference finals.

Edited by Buzzard

We would def have one of the top starting fives in the east but it's hard to say who's better than us or who we are better than until we see what are bench looks like.

However If we add deng and hill to come off the bench we will probably have a top 4 east team. Pacers are on their way down so I should say top 3.

If our team can manage to stay healthy a full season then I would look for us to compete for the 3rd spot in East provided that we are able to sign Luol Deng. I would imagine that coach BUD philosophy is to moderate Horford, Milsaps, korver, minutes by adding more depth to the team. Hence, Payne, Patterson, Selfolosa additions. We still need another SG that can actually dribble and shoot. 

• Like 1

If we end up with the below it gives is a top bench as well provided our rookie, Payne, is as good on both ends of the floor as advertised. The pundits say Payne is NBA ready, I hope the Pundits have it right this time.

Teague - Dennis - (Mack)

Korver - Sefolosha - Jenk

Deng - Carroll

Millsap - (Scott) - Payne

Horford - (Antić or Brand) - Muscala

Edited by Buzzard

Didn't you know that Thabo is the superstar player we've been missing and he will win us multiple titles? YOU ARE SO NOT A REAL FAN.

Here we go again...we spent 4million dollars...not 8 million for this guy. This is chess not checkers, it's pretty obvious that this move is to get Deng on board for less than what the market dictates. Deng could easily command 12 to 13mill in Dallas or LA.

We already struck out  last year trying to pitch big name free agents Dwight Howard, Chris Paul etc., so we have to build a competitive team that can compete. Ferry is doing things the right way, and who knows maybe we can surprise people with a 3rd seed in the east..

• Like 2

I have to be honest, after the Thabo signing, I figured Ferry was working on a SNT with Salmons; Deng was going elsewhere due to the money he is wanting. If we still get him, that will be a hell of a off season in my opinion.

Mags offered Mello 4 yr and 75 million. I don't think they will overpay for Deng.

Deng is going to be a Hawk.

Melo makes his decision real soon. Its obvious Melo was not taking a cut to help the Knicks out; so Phil offered him the five year max. Lets see what happens with that. I do think the Mavericks have a shot; if Melo and Chandler are good team mates, the Knicks shot themselves in the foot by sending Chandler to Dallas....

Edited by Buzzard

Melo makes his decision real soon. Its obvious Melo was not taking a cut to help the Knicks out; so Phil offered him the five year max. Lets see what happens with that. I do think the Mavericks have a shot; if Melo and Chandler are good team mates, the Knicks shot themselves in the foot by sending Chandler to Dallas....

4 yr for 75 million is not even close to being the max is it?

Logic would suggest that they would not overpay for Deng if they will not even offer the max to CM.