• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luol Deng spoke with Bud on Thursday (Ferry is about to make a move)

Diesel

With Sefolosha at 2 and Deng at 3, we would be a tough matchup for Miami I think for Wade/Bron...

Although I am hoping Bron goes west to Phoenix with Bosh and Melo goes to Mavs. Clears out the East of Contenders..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we go:

Teague / Mack / Schröder

Korver / Thabo / Patterson

Deng / DMC

Millsap / Payne / Scott

Horford / Brand or Antić / Muscala

I just feel DMC/Thabo on the bench wastes their talent. They have to guard below average talent and they make our offense more stagnant than a Korver running these subpar bench players around off of screens. Korver would be the perfect 6th man for us. One of DMC/Thabo can be the "starter". It makes more sense to me.

With Sefolosha at 2 and Deng at 3, we would be a tough matchup for Miami I think for Wade/Bron...

Although I am hoping Bron goes west to Phoenix with Bosh and Melo goes to Mavs. Clears out the East of Contenders..

Imagine putting Thabo/DMC/Deng on Bron. Goosebumps. Bron is gonna have to work against us.

I just feel DMC/Thabo on the bench wastes their talent. They have to guard below average talent and they make our offense more stagnant than a Korver running these subpar bench players around off of screens. Korver would be the perfect 6th man for us. One of DMC/Thabo can be the "starter". It makes more sense to me.

Imagine putting Thabo/DMC/Deng on Bron. Goosebumps. Bron is gonna have to work against us.

I understand where you're coming from but I just like Korver starting because I think our starters will get him better looks and he's easily our best shooter so I want him getting as many good looks as possible.

Now if we get the 40% 3pt shooting Thabo then maybe I can see him starting at SG.

Should be a good group no matter what though.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Here we go again...we spent 4million dollars...not 8 million for this guy. This is chess not checkers, it's pretty obvious that this move is to get Deng on board for less than what the market dictates. Deng could easily command 12 to 13mill in Dallas or LA.

We already struck out  last year trying to pitch big name free agents Dwight Howard, Chris Paul etc., so we have to build a competitive team that can compete. Ferry is doing things the right way, and who knows maybe we can surprise people with a 3rd seed in the east..

So you are happy with another pointless playoff team with no hopes of ever getting out of the first or second round. And, I might add, one that would be locked into WLOC for several years with no cap flexibility or the ability to tank to get a high draft pick.

It is like the Joe Johnson era 2.0. Yay?

I'm just stating what most people think.

not really, although we're probably in the same boat about wanting an elite wing, simply because we're programmed to want that.  I went to unc, so I'm not going to like signing deng period.  but there must be something I'm missing.

Being that Kyle has the pull of an assistsnt here, I was just thinking about him giving a ringing endorsement for Deng then read through the posts and remembered both played with Thabo. Bud and Ferry are clearly enamored with Thibideau guys. I'm also a Thibs fan and swear by Kyle. I just can't get excited about Deng and Thabo. Wish I could. If we do sign Deng and he, Thabo, and DMC defend at their highest level and bang home open threes, I'll get on board pretty quick. I can't stress enough I'm riding shotgun with Bud and thrilled with the single-minded approach with Ferry while so many franchises can't get out of each other's way.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators

We were much better with Horford record wise than without so I don't see it as a good comparison.

I'm talking over the course of both pec injuries. People are happy with Horford at $12 mil even knowing he's been dealt two season-ending pec injuries and we've been okay w/o him. Sure, Horf is a big man, but Deng at $9.25 mil is a fair deal considering and it's the Bulls culture that has kept them winning. When most teams lose a franchise player in Rose and an All-NBA defensive team player in Deng, they usually end up tanking the season. To me, Deng improving the Cavs speaks louder than the Bulls surviving without him.

• Premium Member

I think Deng helps the Hawks top out at 46 wins at the max. We will have to see if Indiana regroups, but they clearly had chemistry issues in the second half of the season. This team also had a severe losing streak near the end of the season. The Nets were one of the best teams in the conference in the second half of the season, but they will get Lopez back... And they hired Lionel Hollins as head coach. Washington is an up and coming team even if they were not that great last year.

We would have topped out at 47 wins last year if Horf hadn't got hurt.

So you are happy with another pointless playoff team with no hopes of ever getting out of the first or second round. And, I might add, one that would be locked into WLOC for several years with no cap flexibility or the ability to tank to get a high draft pick.

It is like the Joe Johnson era 2.0. Yay?

Except we have cap flexibility....Ferry knows what he is doing, it's not like we have big name free agents knocking down the Hawks front door. Mainstream media doesnt even respect the Hawks..IF we can play as a TEAM and with the East being weak - who knows what can happen.

btw are you really comparing 4mill a year for Sefalosha to JJ 20mill per year.....come on man...

Edited by wolvetigers

We would have topped out at 47 wins last year if Horf hadn't got hurt.

They were barely over .500 when he went down. I don't believe that they would have (basically) won 10 more games had he stayed healthy. I can see maybe 44 wins if All is healthy. I don't think the east is going to start As bad next year, but I will say that maybe they both 50 with a healthy Horford/Deng. That is about it.

How will we no longer have cap flexibility even if we sign Deng?

Estimated cap room for 2015: $67 million

Capspace for 2015:

Horford: 12 million

Deng: (Estimated: 11 million)

Teague: 8 million

Korver: 6.7 million

Thabo: 4 million

Payne: 1.3 million (or close?)

About 42 million in the books. We will have about 23-24 million to spend next year. We can get a max player next year.

@hawksfanatic tell me if I am wrong here. Don't want to give Squawk false hope lol

• Premium Member

Except we have cap flexibility....Ferry knows what he is doing, it's not like we have big name free agents knocking down the Hawks front door. Mainstream media doesnt even respect the Hawks..IF we can play as a TEAM and with the East being weak - who knows what can happen.

Let me just ask you this: even if we get Deng, do you seriously think that Hawks team has a legit chance of winning a title? Be honest.

• Premium Member

How will we no longer have cap flexibility even if we sign Deng?

Estimated cap room for 2015: $67 million

Capspace for 2015:

Horford: 12 million

Deng: (Estimated: 11 million)

Teague: 8 million

Korver: 6.7 million

Thabo: 4 million

Payne: 1.3 million (or close?)

About 42 million in the books. We will have about 23-24 million to spend next year. We can get a max player next year.

@hawksfanatic tell me if I am wrong here. Don't want to give Squawk false hope lol

You are forgetting Dennis and the QO guys in Scott and Mack, Muscala and Antić.  Also cap holds for our first rounder next season. I also want to say you are forgetting another player on the roster but I can't remember who.

Let me just ask you this: even if we get Deng, do you seriously think that Hawks team has a legit chance of winning a title? Be honest.

Under normal circumstances i would say no...

But, let's say Lebron leaves Miami for Houston , LA , or any west coast team . The east would be wide open.

We know we can beat the Pacers if we're healthy, and i think we stack up well against the Raptors, Wizards ,Bulls, and Nets.

You are forgetting Dennis and the QO guys in Scott and Mack, Muscala and Antić. Also cap holds for our first rounder next season. I also want to say you are forgetting another player on the roster but I can't remember who.

And @GameTime you're kinda forgetting 10 million to Millsap and the cap is projected at 63 million, not 67.

@Sothron there's no cap hold for next years 1st rounder.

Edit - scratch all this sorry didn't see you said 2015