• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Conference Call, Scouting Report Released on AJC.com

ryandauwalker

F*ck this I'm calling for Adam Silver's head. He is racial insensitive. I have a replacement in mind, he doesn't have a great NBA background but he's a great people person. Some of you may recognize his name, Don Rickles. I believe Mr. Rickles is very sensetive to all racial topics and will have a zero tolerance regarding this matter from here on out. We are going to take a voice vote, those in favor say aye.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dOfHr7H4SGU

Edited by Spud2Nique

• Premium Member

We are past the 'racist or nah' part of this. I'm more concerned over the fact that Ferry is supposed to represent a positive change in culture and public perception of this franchise but somehow managed to make that perception worse than what it was before he got here. Can anyone honestly say that this team is being looked at in a better light than it was before??? If we struggled to build through free agency before when we had ample $$$ to spend, how much harder is that going to be now? How are we going to keep our own free agents? I liked Ferry for what he represented for this franchise moreso for his decisions or actual results on the court. If he no longer represents a positive change in culture or public perception, why is he still here??? Get new ownership AND a new GM in here. It's time for a reboot.

Not only that, the league and the Hawks are backing him.  They heard the tape and said, "Meh, nuthin' wrong with that."

They acknowledged that he did something wrong (he was supposedly punished), but they didn't think he should be fired over it. That will remain true until there's enough of an outrage to force their hand. People who never give a thought to the Hawks will suddenly be up in arms over this, no doubt. We'll see what happens...

• Moderators

I'm thinking that was Gearon Jr. laughing and Gearon Sr. talking to his son (the statement: "That comment was throwing.  We can't take that, Jerry.  That's going be on TMZ.") or vice versa.  Michael is actually their middle name... Their first name is Jerry.

Bio on Gearon Jr. from BusinessWeek:

Mr. J. Michael Gearon, Jr. served as President of American Tower International, a subsidiary of American Tower Corporation from January 22, 1998 to February 2007. From January 1998 to January 2002, Mr. Gearon served as an Executive Vice President of American Tower Corporation. Prior to joining American Tower corporation, Mr. Gearon founded Gearon Communications and served as Chief Executive Officer since September 1991. Mr. Gearon served as Vice Chairman of American Tower Corporation from January 2002 to February 2007. He has been a Director of American Tower International Corporation from January 22, 1998. He served as a Director of American Tower Corporation from January 1998 to May 2003. He served as a Director of TV Azteca S.A. de C.V. since February 2000. Mr. Gearon received a Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Georgia State University.

A degree in Interdisciplinary Studies?  dafuq...

• Like 3

They acknowledged that he did something wrong (he was supposedly punished), but they didn't think he should be fired over it. That will remain true until there's enough of an outrage to force their hand. People who never give a thought to the Hawks will suddenly be up in arms over this, no doubt. We'll see what happens...

I hear you.  I guess I'm saying I don't think acknowledgement of wrongdoing and reporting he's been "punished" is enough.  I'm not saying they should open the flood gates of information, but the "meh, we've handled it now move along flunkie" attitude raises more questions and draws more ire than is necessary.

I agree nothing will happen unless the public turns the heat up.  No sponsors are doing anything either so unless this lasts longer than the Ray Rice deal (and the news services continue to talk about it) we'll likely be stuck with Ferry ... and the Gearon-led A$G.

And the worm turns. Seems that maybe Ferry was telling the truth about reading those comments from a scouting report.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and WSB Channel 2 have jointly obtained the background report on Luol Deng read by general manager Danny Ferry that has become the center of controversy.

Part of the five-page report, with portions redacted, contains separate sections of different personnel. The one in question reads: “He is a good guy on the cover but he is an African. He has a little two-step in him = says what you want to hear but behind closed doors he could be killing you.

Uh oh, now he's saying that Deng likes to do the most popular country dance in America? When will this end!! 

Thought about that too.  No proof that it's the actual document.  Ferry could've just pulled something outta his ass.  Feeling like it's a situation of "too little, too late" as well.

Report would've been out sooner, but Gearon found Ferry in an internet cafe ..

fbsmsh.gif

• Premium Member

I am so confused now, somebody please explain what is going on?

Ferry is paraphrasing a report...if it's authentic.  Either way, all the evidence points to Danny Ferry taking ownership of these comments.  If you hear a racist joke and repeat it, it doesn't matter if you heard it from someone else.  Ferry should have chosen better wording, bottom line.  It's really not that difficult to do.  

Thought about that too. No proof that it's the actual document. Ferry could've just pulled something outta his ass. Feeling like it's a situation of "too little, too late" as well.

Commish has had the report for a while now.

Ferry is paraphrasing a report...if it's authentic.  Either way, all the evidence points to Danny Ferry taking ownership of these comments.  If you hear a racist joke and repeat it, it doesn't matter if you heard it from someone else.  Ferry should have chosen better wording, bottom line.  It's really not that difficult to do.  

So in other words, even know that those words were on the scouting report but was paraphrasing, so he is still in the wrong about it.

• Moderators

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

So in other words, even know that those words were on the scouting report but was paraphrasing, so he is still in the wrong about it.

Really? Has everyone become this emotionally soft? FCK it just fire him because everyone in the country has really damned thinned skin.

Just as a note heard Barkley on the radio and pretty much said it is a joke everyone is up in arms about this