• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I was wrong.......

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I'm glad that we will get to see what Bud can do with the rest of this season.

I am excited at the prospect of having New owners sometime in the future.

I am not so quick to excuse DFerry of his self imposed punishment just because we are winning.  It's a shame that people are willing to give him a pass based on our record?  IF we had a losing record, would you still give him a pass?

In fact, let's not allow him to be the distraction for this franchise.  Don't rock the boat.  Let's let Bud do his great work.  Hopefully, Bud makes himself into an asset for the next owners.

• Like 3

@Diesel, I believe Budz has already made himself an asset for the next owners.  In fact, that's who should be getting the bulk of the praise here.  Well, him and the players of course.

That sounds like a great idea until you wake up and realize that outside of Horford and possibly Teague, neither Bud nor the players would be here without Ferry.

• Like 3

I'm glad that we will get to see what Bud can do with the rest of this season.

I am excited at the prospect of having New owners sometime in the future.

I am not so quick to excuse DFerry of his self imposed punishment just because we are winning.  It's a shame that people are willing to give him a pass based on our record?  IF we had a losing record, would you still give him a pass?

In fact, let's not allow him to be the distraction for this franchise.  Don't rock the boat.  Let's let Bud do his great work.  Hopefully, Bud makes himself into an asset for the next owners.

I gave him a pass before - I always thought it was knee jerk bs especially after we learned the source of what he read in a closed meeting. Words will always be words, but I tend to judge by a lifetime of hard work and actions and what the people that know him and work with him think - not some idiots that are always looking for reasons to be offended - like these idiots that dont like him because hes from Duke - personally I always hated Duke And North Carolina because the deck was always stacked in their favor - BUT hes our GM now and only an idiot would want him out after his turnover of this roster has been so successful.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I think Ferry should come back.   I think what he did is not a mistake worthy of being fired and that's what the independent investigation determined too.

It's also my feeling that there are very few posters here who want him gone because of this that didn't already not like him beforehand.   There may be some but most of the vocal ones were calling him a terrible GM before this happened.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think Ferry should come back.   I think what he did is not a mistake worthy of being fired and that's what the independent investigation determined too.

It's also my feeling that there are very few posters here who want him gone because of this that didn't already not like him beforehand.   There may be some but most of the vocal ones were calling him a terrible GM before this happened.   

My feelings is that it's not really at the point where it's the fans choice...  We may like a guy who drops the N word every now and then.  My point since the beginning has been will he  (NOW) still be effective at doing his job.  Like it or not, he has alienated Black players in a league that's mostly Black.  I think he was right to take the break from the team and now that we're winning, this is not time for him to resurface and cause any conflict. 

Kendrick Lamar says:  Don't kill my vibe.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My feelings is that it's not really at the point where it's the fans choice...  We may like a guy who drops the N word every now and then.  My point since the beginning has been will he  (NOW) still be effective at doing his job.  Like it or not, he has alienated Black players in a league that's mostly Black.  I think he was right to take the break from the team and now that we're winning, this is not time for him to resurface and cause any conflict. 

There's only one player in the league (and one out of the league) who has said anything negative about Ferry among a host that have come out in support of him.   I think the ability to do his job argument is gone now.   That was my concern at first but his lifetime of building a stellar reputation has thankfully won out over this one mistake.  As it should.   

• Like 4

• Premium Member

^This. It's nothing personal against Ferry as much as him contributing to the negative perception of this franchise. The Hawks might as well start fresh. BTW, I 'forgive' all of those who posted personal insults against me. I accept your apologies in advance.sun_bespectacled.gif

• Premium Member

There is no need for a fresh start. Noone is perfect and Ferry made the mistake, apologized for it, even underwent sensitivity training and a trip to Africa. Noone who has worked with Ferry or knew him has agreed that Ferry is racist.

Let Ferry continue to build this franchise the last thing we need is a reset when we are finally on the right trajectory.

• Like 3

There is no need for a fresh start. Noone is perfect and Ferry made the mistake, apologized for it, even underwent sensitivity training and a trip to Africa. Noone who has worked with Ferry or knew him has agreed that Ferry is racist.

Let Ferry continue to build this franchise the last thing we need is a reset when we are finally on the right trajectory.

I really want you guys to know a racist isn't someone who says a name. That's being prejudice. A racist is an action which is either overt or covert. Like I don't want no Africans and I will act on it is racist. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I really want you guys to know a racist isn't someone who says a name. That's being prejudice. A racist is an action which is either overt or covert. Like I don't want no Africans and I will act on it is racist.

Right, Noone has come out and said Ferry was prejudice either. Gearon, like Ferry haters most of whom here who dont want Ferry to return, just is using this issue to get his way. He views Ferry as a Levonson hire against his wishes.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've seen you call people to the mat on that definition a number of times so I just had to butt in and point out that your definition is not consistent with that in most dictionaries.  The dictionary definitions of racism and racist basically say that someone who is prejudiced is racist.  They focus on belief not action.

Legal discrimination claims require the type of act you are talking about but the elements of a legal claim are not the same as the dictionary definition.  

Here are a few definitions from

Dictionary.com

racism

noun

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the varioushuman racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement,usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has theright to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior tothe others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such adoctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Merriam-Webster

racism

:  a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Dictionary.reference.com

rac·ism

(rā′sĭz′əm)

n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superiorto others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Oxford Dictionary

racism NOUN

[MASS NOUN]

1The belief that all members of each race possesscharacteristicsabilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior orsuperior to another race or races
Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

I've seen you call people to the mat on that definition a number of times so I just had to butt in and point out that your definition is not consistent with that in most dictionaries.  The dictionary definitions of racism and racist basically say that someone who is prejudiced is racist.  They focus on belief not action.

Legal discrimination claims require the type of act you are talking about but the elements of a legal claim are not the same as the dictionary definition.  

Here are a few definitions from

Dictionary.com

Merriam-Webster

Dictionary.reference.com

rac·ism

(rā′sĭz′əm)

n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superiorto others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Oxford Dictionary

@AHF, when I get to the library, I will find a 1960 definition of the word before they recently changed it. In fact, do you have any of dictionaries in your possession? 

• Premium Member

Exactly.