• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which team will be the toughest matchup for the Hawks in eastern playoffs?

Spursfanpeacemaker

Which team do you think will be the toughest matchup for hawks in the playoffs and why? (Talking about east teams only not the west).

For me, I think Toronto Raptors or Cleveland Cavaliers will be toughest matchup for Hawks. Why? Raptors are very physical and grimy team, that's their team identity and I think Hawks will have a hard time matching Raptors physicality. Cleveland Cavaliers have a lot of Talent, and superstars on their roster, I fear that their talents will outlast and beat Hawks in 7 game series.

I really do hope that Hawks will reach and win the NBA finals because all of their hardwork they showed to us this season will be meaningless if they don't win or reach the finals.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

During the season we pretty much handed both CLE and TOR asses to them, so Im not worried about them. Only thing Im worried about is staying focused and healthy.

Whatever happens, happens. But no worries. Basketball is a game of confidence. Hawks should have plenty of it.

I will say the refs since no team can beat us in an evenly called series.  I think Toronto's success against us has been more about them catching us at the right time than them being the better team.  We just comfortable won vs Cleveland while missing Thabo, shooting poorly from 3 and fighting ref favoritism.  They won't beat us in a series unless they get ridiculously hot from 3.  Rose has been mediocre this year and the PG's behind him are trash.  Chicago is already fighting injuries and will likely continue to do so.  They won't best us when we are dominating the PG position. 

• Like 1

Toronto. Somehow, they found the secret sauce by taking three out of four. But I'd rather be us than the Warriors; OKC in the first round is not a fun time for a top seed...

I thought we rather won 3 out of 4. Well, we will still kick their ass. But yeah, I'd rather avoid Toronto.

It should be pretty obvious that Cleveland will be our toughest matchup simply because of the talent on that team. I think we can win, and I think we will win, but they present us with the most challenging series. Other than that, Toronto seems to have our number. But as someone else mentioned, they have caught us at the right times and may have just gotten lucky with that. They are a tough matchup for us though; however, I think with being able to focus on one team for multiple games would give Coach Bud an opportunity to find some good scheme tweaks and matchup manipulations to take care of them.

Other than those 2, I am not even remotely worried about anyone. Obviously, anything can happen and you can't control that. But other than Chicago being fully healthy (which is highly unlikely) nobody else really scares me.

according to Jalen "insert lebron wenis joke" Rose, the Cavaliers have an easy path to the finals, unless the Bulls are healthy...

seems Toronto has been the only team that has really pushed us around (and the 76ers, feels like every game against them is rough) I only feel like the cavs are a problem because of the lebron rulebook- we are a much, much better team

As long as the training staff is idle we good I think. Toronto has shown they're our worst matchup, but I'm not worried. The injury bug has been known to hit all of their best players, so there still may be some stinging to be done, not wishing it on the chaps. Bud's 48-minute schematics are simply the best in the East.

He usually has the best plan to open the first quarter, and usually makes the last successful adjustment in the fourth to seal. We're just too solid in clock management, free throw shooting, getting stops, and protecting the ball late. And magically the home crowd is insane.

Frank Vogel has supplanted Thibs as my favorite after Bud. Tom is too stubborn to even consider his minutes distribution when it's clearly and widely questionable for the long stretch. Paul George just won't be himself if and when we meet. They'd probably bottle Kyle up all series but I can't see them scoring over 90 in any game.

Cleveland can't change their stripes: they do what they do. They tried to change up in the last game but it doesn't work. You get up in LeBron and make his passes tough his team wilts, especially without a traditional PG to help facilitate. The best he's ever had was Eric Snow and Norris Cole, not exactly Jeff or Dennis. I saw somewhere an analytics firm deemed his assisting the deciding difference in both Miami's Finals wins. There will be none of that here if he has to individually break down each of his numerous turnovers to reporters.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Realistically, I would say the worst team to match up against right now is Indiana if you look at their situation. Paul George coming back for Playoffs and how hot they are, can really push it. I hope that the standings remain as they are with the last 17 or so games remaining in the season, which would put us against Charlotte and Cavs against Paul George and the Pacers.

• Premium Member

As long as the training staff is idle we good I think. Toronto has shown they're our worst matchup, but I'm not worried. The injury bug has been known to hit all of their best players, so there still may be some stinging to be done, not wishing it on the chaps. Bud's 48-minute schematics are simply the best in the East.

He usually has the best plan to open the first quarter, and usually makes the last successful adjustment in the fourth to seal. We're just too solid in clock management, free throw shooting, getting stops, and protecting the ball late. And magically the home crowd is insane.

Frank Vogel has supplanted Thibs as my favorite after Bud. Tom is too stubborn to even consider his minutes distribution when it's clearly and widely questionable for the long stretch. Paul George just won't be himself if and when we meet. They'd probably bottle Kyle up all series but I can't see them scoring over 90 in any game.

Cleveland can't change their stripes: they do what they do. They tried to change up in the last game but it doesn't work. You get up in LeBron and make his passes tough his team wilts, especially without a traditional PG to help facilitate. The best he's ever had was Eric Snow and Norris Cole, not exactly Jeff or Dennis. I saw somewhere an analytics firm deemed his assisting the deciding difference in both Miami's Finals wins. There will be none of that here if he has to individually break down each of his numerous turnovers to reporters.

I can't remember who said it, but prior to his rookie season someone made the comment that LeBron's game was more similar to Magic than MJ.  His greatest assets are his court vision, passing, and penetration...but he will always put that scorer's mentality first.  When he teamed up in Miami, I kept telling people that they needed to use LeBron more to facilitate the offense.  As opposed to he and wade taking turns attacking the basket.

I'm not really concerned about anybody in the East.  I'm concerned about the Hawks.  They have to stick to what got them here, avoid turnovers, and make shots.  If they do that, there's no one that can stop them.  

1st Round - I like our chances against anyone floating around the 7/8 right now.  I'd rather not see us face Milwaukee there should they slip.

2nd Round or ECF's - I'm not especially excited to see Toronto here.  As long as the Cavs play me-ball, I like our chances a lot.

Finals - Of all the teams out West, Memphis is the team I don't want to see.  GS is a tough team, but I think Memphis is a tougher matchup.  Both teams make me nervous, but I think I would enjoy a GS/ATL Finals more.

I think Toronto is our toughest match-up. They move the ball pretty well leaving a lot of guys open for the 3 pointer, which is, by design, our biggest weakness defensively. Their bigs can run and match our bigs'hustle and versatility which is usually a huge advantage for us. And during this season, James Johnson has done as good of a job as anyone staying in front of Korver and getting through those screens.

I'm not that nervous about the Cavs, to be honest. They play a lot of one-on-one with either LeBron, or Irving, and that usually plays favorably with our defensive scheme.

But at the end of the day, I truly think we will coast relatively easy through the east, I really can't see any one team in this conference keeping up with our hawks in a 7 game series.

Now on the west, Golden state, Memphis, and San Antonio are the teams that I'm most worried about.

• Like 1

I think CAVs are toughest matchup for us. They started slowly but are getting their sh!t together right now.

Last match we met them the first time with their post-trade lineup. We had a very good game, used a new tactic, had home court advantage, a very early big lead and still only won by 9...

Can we beat them in the ECF? YES! Will it be easy? NO!

I wouldn't bet on us if the CAVs could win one in ATL

Indiana would be though in 1st round and Toronto also could be a problem in CSF, they already won three games against us this season...

• Moderators

I think CAVs are toughest matchup for us. They started slowly but are getting their sh!t together right now.

Last match we met them the first time with their post-trade lineup. We had a very good game, used a new tactic, had home court advantage, a very early big lead and still only won by 9...

Can we beat them in the ECF? YES! Will it be easy? NO!

I wouldn't bet on us if the CAVs could win one in ATL

Indiana would be though in 1st round and Toronto also could be a problem in CSF, they already won three games against us this season...

We've become really spoiled when 'only won by 9' against the supposed top contender in the east is a negative.   And we're still playing without our second best wing defender.   

• Like 1