• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Buyout Candidates

hazer

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Why?? They'll continue to try to improve their team instead of just saying "We like our team"

Haven't you been following. I hate them like poison since 1986....I was happy to see them get kicked in the face tonight. I was all smiles. 

By Chris Vivlamore - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Posted: 11:38 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016

The Hawks have an open roster spot – and they are working to fill it. It just might not be in a way most expect.

The Hawks’ current management has shown that it operates with an eye toward the future. That will play a significant role in how the team fills the availability, which became necessary with reserve center Tiago Splitter about to undergo season-ending surgery on his ailing right hip.

In other words, the Hawks won’t necessarily be looking for a quick fix to the issue at backup center. Team needs this year, next year and beyond will be a serious consideration. The team’s financial flexibility will also be a factor. The Hawks could add a veteran to the current roster in such a way as to not compromise the future (via the buyout market) or add a young player (via the international or D-League markets) with potential.

In the end, the Hawks may not add to their front line to replace Splitter. It’s a possibility because there is a specific need. However they are more likely to prioritize the addition of the best player available over a specific position. It’s a distinction worth noting.

The Hawks will look first to the waiver wire. There is currently a group that includes J.J. Hickson, Steve Novak, David Lee, JaKarr Sampson, Anderson Varejao, Tim Frazier and Jarnell Stokes. There are other players who could reportedly be waived or bought out in the near future such as Andrea Bargnani, Joe Johnson, Caron Butler and Kevin Martin. 

If a longer-term solution is not available on the waiver wire, the Hawks will next look to the international market. The organization does extensive scouting overseas and signing a foreign player could be an option.

Lastly, the Hawks would turn to the NBA Development League. This option would be more of a short-term solution starting with signing a player to a 10-day contract.

If we don't get a back up Center, then Bud is throwing in the towel on the season, cause Moose can't be that backup. Just play Edy to get him ready for next season.

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Hawks have an open roster spot – and they are working to fill it. It just might not be in a way most expect.

The Hawks’ current management has shown that it operates with an eye toward the future. That will play a significant role in how the team fills the availability, which became necessary with reserve center Tiago Splitter about to undergo season-ending surgery on his ailing right hip.

In other words, the Hawks won’t necessarily be looking for a quick fix to the issue at backup center. Team needs this year, next year and beyond will be a serious consideration. The team’s financial flexibility will also be a factor. The Hawks could add a veteran to the current roster in such a way as to not compromise the future (via the buyout market) or add a young player (via the international or D-League markets) with potential.

In the end, the Hawks may not add to their front line to replace Splitter. It’s a possibility because there is a specific need. However they are more likely to prioritize the addition of the best player available over a specific position. It’s a distinction worth noting.

The Hawks will look first to the waiver wire. There is currently a group that includes J.J. Hickson, Steve Novak, David Lee, JaKarr Sampson, Anderson Varejao, Tim Frazier and Jarnell Stokes. There are other players who could reportedly be waived or bought out in the near future such as Andrea Bargnani, Joe Johnson, Caron Butler and Kevin Martin. 

If a longer-term solution is not available on the waiver wire, the Hawks will next look to the international market. The organization does extensive scouting overseas and signing a foreign player could be an option.

Lastly, the Hawks would turn to the NBA Development League. This option would be more of a short-term solution starting with signing a player to a 10-day contract.

If we don't get a back up Center, then Bud is throwing in the towel on the season, cause Moose can't be that backup. Just play Edy to get him ready for next season.

If Wilcox/Bud don't get a big man off waivers then we are just not trying. I'm loyal but honestly getting tired of this cheap bullshit and missing out on people. I don't want some D leaguer or international stiff. Give me Andy or someone whose played in the NBA.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

If Wilcox/Bud don't get a big man off waivers then we are just not trying. I'm loyal but honestly getting tired of this cheap bullshit and missing out on people.

Looks like you are finally coming over to the darkside! Join us!     !raw

Edited by pimp
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, pimp said:

Looks like you are finally coming over to the darkside! Join us!     !raw

I'm fighting it lol...but this lack of effort from the entire team is just straight pissing me off....coach Bud included...stop playing checkers when the opposition is straight chessing you up! Damn!!!!

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Biggest bunch of BS I have ever read.  Smh

• Premium Member

Is there any reported bad blood over his trade? That might explain why he would pick up with a team that actually can't add anything to his income (... ie, the distinct possibility that he could get to defeat his former team in the championship).

Actually, depending on who GSW would cut to open up a roster slot, we could yet benefit. The natural suspicion would be McAdoo... and McAdoo wouldn't be chopped liver in the least.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2015/7/1/8875725/nba-and-d-league-champion-james-michael-mcadoo-discusses-keys-to-success

2016-02-21_1207.png

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we aren't looking for a big man we have no championship aspirations this year.  If we sign yet another barely rosterable sg I will flip my lid.

I think we are looking but actually being attractive is a completely different thing to free agents. Last year, we had it all.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Is there any reported bad blood over his trade? That might explain why he would pick up with a team that actually can't add anything to his income (... ie, the distinct possibility that he could get to defeat his former team in the championship).

Actually, depending on who GSW would cut to open up a roster slot, we could yet benefit. The natural suspicion would be McAdoo... and McAdoo wouldn't be chopped liver in the least.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2015/7/1/8875725/nba-and-d-league-champion-james-michael-mcadoo-discusses-keys-to-success

2016-02-21_1207.png

I thought for sure he'd log more than 150 minutes so far this year.  

Draymond making a huge improvement naturally would cut his minutes, but you gotta think that he isn't progressing as expected by the staff if he can't take some of Spieghts' time.  

Spieghts is much more experienced and can also play 5, but I thought they'd find major use of McAdoo's energy and ruggedness.  Maybe he's just playoff insurance.  

It's crazy when you realize he's the most traditional PF they have in terms of size and style.  Unfortunately the way they play it's almost like they have no use for traditional PF play.  

He'll likely play a lot on Monday., though.  I'm sure he wouldn't be an interest of Budcox.  They'd probably view him as too erratic and too poor a FT shooter.  If he were a rotational player he'd pull 7 or 8 boards off the bench against us easily.

• Premium Member

McAdoo is nursing a toe injury, so he might not be on the bench tomorrow.

The reason I suggest him to be the most likely choice is mainly his salary situation--he's the least paid frontcourt player on the roster.