• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OT to Gray Mule

Thomas

After our abrupt dismissal from the playoffs I've been thinking of the forty plus Hawk  seasons I've seen. Comparing the game changes and all. John Drew and his close range bank shot versus Kyle Korver shooting from over twenty five feet and more at least eighty percent of the time as an example. Crazy difference. My question to you is did you see Bob Petit play in person? What I have read states the Hawks won their one championship mainly because of him. An era of Hawks I never saw. We have not won it all in Atlanta but I still love watching us try.

• Like 1

No, I didn't see Petit in person, nor Pistol Pete or Dominique.  Just because I'm a huge

Hawk fan doesn't mean I have personally saw or met any of the,

I am an old man, live up in the mountains.  I have never been to a Hawk's game and

certainly have no intention of going to one now.  I am too old and crippled up to even

attempt it if I wanted to now, which I don't.

I will sit here, at home, in front of the TV, sip my green tea and enjoy every minute of the game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

So green tea is your secret...:-) noice!

I guess we'll be havin' ribs 'n green tea when i invite myself to Mule's compound.

He still hasn't accepted my self-invitation yet but I'm sure it's in the mail?  Yeah, that's gotta be it.

kg01 - - Naw.  It didn't get lost in the mail.  After spending 33 years with the postal service,

I would find that hard to believe.

Actually, I posted your invitation on Hawksquawk and you ignored it.  In fact, we're having

a spaghetti supper at church this Sunday night at 6 P.M.  Can I tell everyone to expect you?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I saw Pistol and Nique play.   I was really young when I saw him.   I loved to watch Sweet Lou Hudson.  He was silky smooth.   I saw John Drew, Tree Rollins, Danny Rounds and others.      Anybody remember Wes Matthews, Mike Sojourner, Tom McMillan, Tom Henderson, Freeman Williams, Antoine Carr, Armond Hill..................and a few more????   

• Like 1

I was down at the LSU Basketball Auditorium a couple years back (for my son's graduation) and I saw the names on the banners - Bob Petit, Pistol Pete, and Shaq...heckuva lot of great players went through there.   I also saw a documentary on Shaq.  He was on the LSU team with Stanley and Chris - two players who also had long pro careers - how did they not win a Championship?

Anyway - I was talking to an older gentleman while watching the endless progression of graduates - probably there to see his grand daughter graduate and he said he actually watched Bob Petit during his college years.  He said Petit was  tall but not a bruiser, and really had moves inside - he said the guy was REALLY good and kind of ahead of his time - he said Petit kind of invented the "head fake drop step".  He said the guy basically scored nearly every time he touched the ball on offense.

Of course if he played for us now he would be a 10/10 guy since our guards would seldom get him the ball :^)

Edited by DJlaysitup

When I was able to first watch the Hawks consistently it was the early seventies. We were fun to watch with our two 2000 point in one year scorers (Pete and Lou). I think it only happened once, not sure. Unfortunately we ran into the Celtics or Knicks in the playoffs seems like every year and they were winning championships. Still it was a blast.

9 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I saw Pistol and Nique play.   I was really young when I saw him.   I loved to watch Sweet Lou Hudson.  He was silky smooth.   I saw John Drew, Tree Rollins, Danny Rounds and others.      Anybody remember Wes Matthews, Mike Sojourner, Tom McMillan, Tom Henderson, Freeman Williams, Antoine Carr, Armond Hill..................and a few more????   

I don't seem to remember Sojourner or Tom Henderson but definitely remember the others. Remember Carr yelling at Fratello on the bench "play me or trade me". So he got traded I believe the next year.  When I watched Pippin use the glass so much I thought maybe he had studied John Drew a good bit. The on the court Drew, not the off the court one.

8 hours ago, DJlaysitup said:

I was down at the LSU Basketball Auditorium a couple years back (for my son's graduation) and I saw the names on the banners - Bob Petit, Pistol Pete, and Shaq...heckuva lot of great players went through there.   I also saw a documentary on Shaq.  He was on the LSU team with Stanley and Chris - two players who also had long pro careers - how did they not win a Championship?

Anyway - I was talking to an older gentleman while watching the endless progression of graduates - probably there to see his grand daughter graduate and he said he actually watched Bob Petit during his college years.  He said Petit was  tall but not a bruiser, and really had moves inside - he said the guy was REALLY good and kind of ahead of his time - he said Petit kind of invented the "head fake drop step".  He said the guy basically scored nearly every time he touched the ball on offense.

Of course if he played for us now he would be a 10/10 guy since our guards would seldom get him the ball :^)

One year Atlanta's own GT Yellowjackets beat Shaq, Chris Jackson, and Stanley Roberts in the tournament.  That was the Leathal Weapon 3 team with Dennis Scott and Kenny Anderson thhat went to the Final Four.  

This was the UNLV era where they were nearly unstoppable and had 3 future pros as well.  

10 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

kg01 - - Naw.  It didn't get lost in the mail.  After spending 33 years with the postal service,

I would find that hard to believe.

Actually, I posted your invitation on Hawksquawk and you ignored it.  In fact, we're having

a spaghetti supper at church this Sunday night at 6 P.M.  Can I tell everyone to expect you?

Well, unfortunately I won't be around until Monday night.  Guess I'll just have to settle for BBQ at the @hawksfanatic compound.  HF I know I'll have to don a pair of worn overalls with no shirt underneath to fit in, but are shoes optional?

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Well, unfortunately I won't be around until Monday night.  Guess I'll just have to settle for BBQ at the @hawksfanatic compound.  HF I know I'll have to don a pair of worn overalls with no shirt underneath to fit in, but are shoes optional?

NO they are not optional you city slicker with your new york values.   You show up in shoes you got another thing coming.

10 hours ago, DJlaysitup said:

They were a bad defensive team.  And when push came to shove, it was Chris Jackson taking the shots.

11 hours ago, DJlaysitup said:

I'm not going to address this thread unless you call him by his real name...Mahmoud Abdul Rauf...lol...jk...I loved that guy so much and was hoping the Hawks got into the top 3 in that draft and got either GP or Makkieas I called him. Ya, hard to believe with his outside game and Shaq's inside dominance that they didn't win it all.

12 hours ago, DJlaysitup said:

Lethal. Weapon. III.  Boom.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, DJlaysitup said:

They never won the SEC.  LSU has to have the highest ratio of HOFers to underwhelming seasons of any team I can recall.