• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets

lethalweapon3

2 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

Not having Thabo hurt us big tonight.  He could have come in and disrupted Batum in the first.  The size differential between Batum and Baze was very apparent.

Why did Korver play 29 minutes when he was completely ineffective?

Hawks need to get a real 3. 

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud doesn't like Hump!  Hump plays 4 minutes scores 3 points, 2 rebounds and has 1 assist

Another players scored 5 points 2 assist and no rebounds in 29 minutes.  Guess who?

He must have did something off the court bad.

Korver is already playing the fewest minutes of his Hawks career and that number should continue to decrease if he's not able to turn it around. Anyone around here ever heard of "it's a marathon not a sprint?" Some of you guys would have already had everyone on our roster benched, traded, or cut by now. It's not just about Korver either. THJ and Thabo are playing the best basketball of their careers in their current roles. There's no rush to upset the balance we have going between the starters and the bench. Especially considering there's a good chance we're 10-2 right now if Dwight doesn't put an elbow in Zeller's throat. 

Our main concern right now needs to be figuring out how to score more consistently in these tough late game situations. We're not always going to have a big enough lead to survive as we saw tonight. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, High5 said:

Korver is already playing the fewest minutes of his Hawks career and that number should continue to decrease if he's not able to turn it around. Anyone around here ever heard of "it's a marathon not a sprint?" Some of you guys would have already had everyone on our roster benched, traded, or cut by now. It's not just about Korver either. THJ and Thabo are playing the best basketball of their careers in their current roles. There's no rush to upset the balance we have going between the starters and the bench. Especially considering there's a good chance we're 10-2 right now if Dwight doesn't put an elbow in Zeller's throat. 

Our main concern right now needs to be figuring out how to score more consistently in these tough late game situations. We're not always going to have a big enough lead to survive as we saw tonight. 

Somehow you have convinced yourself that the scoring problem is unrelated to personnel. :blink:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Somehow you have convinced yourself that the scoring problem is unrelated to personnel. :blink:

Not at all, but Korver's 3 was the only field goal we made in the last 6+ minutes of the game. He also hit 2 clutch 3's when we were struggling against Milwaukee. He's always the shooter who receives the most respect from the defense too. But I guess he should shoulder the blame for all of our problems. 

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, High5 said:

Not at all, but Korver's 3 was the only field goal we made in the last 6+ minutes of the game. He also hit 2 clutch 3's when we were struggling against Milwaukee. He's always the shooter who receives the most respect from the defense too. But I guess he should shoulder the blame for all of our problems. 

So +/- means nothing to you.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I watched the game last night and when we were in the 4th Qtr and Dwight bowed out, our guys look like they had no idea of how to move the ball and no idea of how to move without the ball.    We moved the ball a little and settled for Long shots when we didn't need to.   One thing we have to do is not become a team that stands around and gets used to relying on the three point shot.  D8's last points was an alley opp from Schröder.  I think we can have a lot more play if we run real plays.  

Defensively.. those last 4 minutes were terrible.  Without D8, it was open season on the rim.  That's our charge.  I think personnel wise, we have to go out and seek a BU rim protector. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So +/- means nothing to you.

If we're going to play that game, Kyle has the best +/- on the team so that can't be used.

But again, I'm telling you, Kyle is a part of the issue even if he has a positive +/-. He can not create and Bazemore is average at best at it, so you're putting tons of pressure on the PG and PF to create for themselves and for their teammates.

We are seeing the exact same pattern as last year, the team gets better when Kyle and Kent leave the game because there's less pressure on two players to create, the team looks to run more, and pretty much everyone is at the same level, there's no pressure to "help Kyle gain confidence", or the same with Kent.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Lurker said:

If we're going to play that game, Kyle has the best +/- on the team so that can't be used.

But again, I'm telling you, Kyle is a part of the issue even if he has a positive +/-. He can not create and Bazemore is average at best at it, so you're putting tons of pressure on the PG and PF to create for themselves and for their teammates.

We are seeing the exact same pattern as last year, the team gets better when Kyle and Kent leave the game because there's less pressure on two players to create, the team looks to run more, and pretty much everyone is at the same level, there's no pressure to "help Kyle gain confidence", or the same with Kent.

I diagnose it differently.

I think the second squad is better mainly because of THJr and Moose.   I think those two guys move.  THJr can shoot.. like Kyle, but it's his propensity to drive which makes him a weapon.  Even if it's a simple Exchange of Kyle for THJr, the effect is that Baze has a better game because Baze is now on the floor with a mover.  While Baze may have a better handle than all the others, THJr is just more direct.  Unfortunately, he doesn't get a lot of touches.   The guy has the ability to be a star but without the touches, he's a little better than Ahight.  Moose on the other hand, gives us an offensive dimension that teams that plan for Dwight get killed by.  Moose can shoot.  Moose can drive.  The problem is that there's a defensive dropoff.

Last night... Walker was emboldened when Dwight went out and it payed off for CHA.  I don't expect Schröder to be able to stay in front of him the whole game. 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Where in Hell did you get you stats from because they are dead wrong!

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/individual-player-plus-minus-statistics/2016/

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, High5 said:

I'm not sure why I bother when you never address/understand my point or attempt to make a thoughtful argument. 

The bottom line is that Korver is the lest impactful player on the Hawks right now based on advanced metrics.  You can try to convince yourself otherwise but the numbers disagree with you

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The bottom line is that Korver is the lest impactful player on the Hawks right now based on advanced metrics.  You can try to convince yourself otherwise but the numbers disagree with you

Just because I bring more to the table than "Korver bad. Bud dumb." doesn't mean I think Korver is playing well. If you actually read my posts you would understand that. I just don't blame him for all of our problems and I see value in keeping our strong bench unit intact for the time being. I also think it's beyond foolish not to give someone who has been so valuable for us the chance to play his way back into form. 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I watched the game last night and when we were in the 4th Qtr and Dwight bowed out, our guys look like they had no idea of how to move the ball and no idea of how to move without the ball.    We moved the ball a little and settled for Long shots when we didn't need to.   One thing we have to do is not become a team that stands around and gets used to relying on the three point shot.  D8's last points was an alley opp from Schröder.  I think we can have a lot more play if we run real plays.  

Defensively.. those last 4 minutes were terrible.  Without D8, it was open season on the rim.  That's our charge.  I think personnel wise, we have to go out and seek a BU rim protector. 

We have a good backup rim protector in Humphries if our coach didn't have an infatuational love crush on Muscala.

I just watched the game.

Millap's game seemed so effortless.

Watch your elbows Dwight - you can't help the team in the locker room.

We missed Thabo's defense.

Prince gave us decent minutes.

The refs - smh.

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I just watched the game.

Millap game's seemed so effortless.

Watch your elbows Dwight - you can't help the team in the locker room.

We missed Thabo's defense.

Prince gave us decent minutes.

The refs - smh.

Pretty much...we had an 8 point lead and after that it kinda crumbled away.