• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Magic

lethalweapon3

Leave it to @Spud2Nique to make this winning streek awkward.

Also, was this one of the most poorly-officiated games in a long while?  Man, if I'm a Magix fan, I am royally pizzed at Lauren Holtcamp(sp?).  Some really questionable calls and pretty much all went our way.  After each questionable call, she was soooo confrontational.  As an official, it seems you should be looking to diffuse conflicts not cause them.  At the very least she should've understood the pulse of the game and that she was directly contributing to the Magix being upset.  Instead she just escalated things and ended up having to toss a mofo.  Just smelled like a bad job by an official.

None of that had anything to do with her gender, btw.  Sweetheart can ref games all she want but muh dinner better be hot 'n ready when I gets home. {smack on tha butt}

Lastly, kudos to @f_town for a repeat performance as DIC (drunk-in-chat) award winner.

35 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Also, was this one of the most poorly-officiated games in a long while?  Man, if I'm a Magix fan, I am royally pizzed at Lauren Holtcamp(sp?).  Some really questionable calls and pretty much all went our way.  After each questionable call, she was soooo confrontational.  As an official, it seems you should be looking to diffuse conflicts not cause them.  At the very least she should've understood the pulse of the game and that she was directly contributing to the Magix being upset.  Instead she just escalated things and ended up having to toss a mofo.  Just smelled like a bad job by an official.

I've felt like the officiating this year has been strikingly worse than in prior years. I usually would spot a couple or three calls where I said "what the..." but now it's about twice that.

As for Holtcamp, I think she's actually been pretty good, but like you, my first reaction was like "well, that wasn't called for."  But then they went back and showed the slow motion of her telling Ibaka "that's enough" but he kept running his mouth. On top of that he'd been pretty vocal and critical of their calls, so in light of all that, I can understand the ejection. It didn't affect the outcome of the game, and he sort of had it coming. If an official says "that's enough" and you keep running your mouth (and I think he muttered a couple of obscenities in her direction), a tech is justified. (In his case it happened to be a second because of his stupid ball slamming - a big no no nowadays.)

But there were some calls that were bad that went in the Hawks favor. There was one where Moose went over the back of somebody and knocked the ball out of bounds but they said it was the Hawks ball. That scramble where Afromop Payton went out of bounds was questionable but went in the Hawks favor (and resulted in an Ibaka tech from the aforementioned ball slamming). All in all, I think there were some questionable, if not poor calls, but it's been that way all season more than any other season I can recall. And this one a lot of the calls went in the Hawks favor, which is a welcome change, since we normally get the crap end of that crap stick.

I hear you @LamarHampton w.r.t. overall bad/weird officiating this year.  Perhaps we're feeling the effects of the recent retirements of some really good although controversial refs?  Steve Javy and the like.

On Holtcamp, I saw her tell Ibaka 'that's enough' but what i'm saying is that the die was cast well before that through her odd calls.  IOW, she riled them up to the point where her last-second warning was moot.  That's my issue.

Totally agree there were bad calls that went our way.  In fact, they all went our way.  That was the problem (moreso from a 30,000 ft viewpoint since I don't care about the Magic).

Anyways, if you think NBA refs are bad, try watching a college game.  Yikes.

Either it's the Dwight effect (although they'll go to a review or two on him to throw people off the scent) or Ressler has been greasing some palms at the league office to get some favorable officiating.  I feel dirty at times at some of the officiating the Hawks have gotten this season, I mean sure the team has been screwed PLENTY in the past but does two wrongs make a right?  Can I eat my morality and just feel entitled like all the darling franchises' fans?

Yes...

Yes I can.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ya he truly lives up to his nickname the freak. Not sure I've seen anything like this before. Lol. He's kinda like a new creature. Like half man half mythological creature.

IMG_7780.JPG

Where is the Spalding there?

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

After each questionable call, she was soooo confrontational.

School of Marc Davis there with the attitude. She must have forgotten that Bud was in the arena and that he definitely would have been Marc's target. We have talked about it before, the refs aren't supposed to be noticed much during the game but unfortunately they are noticed and do alter the outcome of quite a few games each season. 

• Moderators

Love seeing Dwight hit his free throws.  Don't know why we don't go to him in the post more.   He's more than capable.  I mean we went to Horford in the post more than Dwight.   I feel like Baze is the only one really looking for Dwight down low but we're winning so....

As someone (maybe benhill?) brought up.  It's time to retire the baze gaze.  Or at least use it more sparingly.  Now it's every game.   I like how Dwight said 'is that ugly face back there again?' 

Remember when this was Scott's job?  His were a little more creative.   

• Like 3

Admitting that officiating was definitely in our favor last night, is a mark of a mature NBA fan.  I was listening to the Magic radio announcers during the 3rd quarter, and they were about to literally die about the officiating.

Then again, Steve Holman is ALWAYS talking about Tony Brothers, and how he screws the Hawks.  That dude is definitely like an extra player for the other team, when he refs a Hawks game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Where is the Spalding there?

Hahaha it's just 30 ft. Ahead of him so IT should be there in 1.3 seconds lol. Ya this thing is a freak and so it....well Giannis the freak..:-|

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Admitting that officiating was definitely in our favor last night, is a mark of a mature NBA fan.  I was listening to the Magic radio announcers during the 3rd quarter, and they were about to literally die about the officiating.

Then again, Steve Holman is ALWAYS talking about Tony Brothers, and how he screws the Hawks.  That dude is definitely like an extra player for the other team, when he refs a Hawks game.

Flattery will get you everywhere, Broses Malone.

Also, my wife was hatin' on Nique's grammar last night.  Shall I give her your contact info so you two can battle it out?:biggrin:

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Flattery will get you everywhere, Broses Malone.

Also, my wife was hatin' on Nique's grammar last night.  Shall I give her your contact info so you two can battle it out?:biggrin:

Nique was ok last night except he kept saying...ALANDO needs to do this and ALANDO needs to do that...F*ck ALANDO and their fans Nique.

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Nique was ok last night except he kept saying...ALANDO needs to do this and ALANDO needs to do that...F*ck ALANDO and their fans Nique.

And also, who's Ever Fooniah and Alfit Paytin.  I figured out who Vusachick was after about 2 quarters.

Just kidding, Cyde.  Don't tase me, bro.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

And also, who's Ever Fooniah and Alfit Paytin.  I figured out who Vusachick was after about 2 quarters.

Just kidding, Cyde.  Don't tase me, bro.

IMG_7774.GIF

4 hours ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

Did anybody notice Kyle playing limited minutes last night?  Only 16.  Could this be Bud testing out the rotations with not as much KK as they look to the trade deadline???  

I think (or I'm hoping) Bud is going 'hot hand.'

Korver played 39 minutes vs the Spurs  primarily because he was playing well while Bazemore played 19 minutes and was horrible. 

This game against Orlando, Bazemore started out hot so Bud played him more while Korver struggled shooting early (1-7) so saw limited minutes.

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We've had our share of bad officiating over the years so I feel their pain but we've been on the otherside of that for too long.

PinkQualifiedAntipodesgreenparakeet-size

Speaking of Marc  Davis, He's one of the refs for tonight's game