• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sixers are finalizing a trade to Ersan Ilyasova to Atlanta for Tiago Splitter and two second-round picks, league sources tell @TheVertical.

GameTime

Yeah, so there is some evidence that he is actually 3 yrs older than his "official" age...?

i know this is Wikipedia, but see for yourself (this was news to me):

Since the 2003 Turkish Junior Basketball Championship held in Konya, there has been some controversy to İlyasova's age and national origin.[28] The controversy is fueled by the claim that a man named Arsen Ilyasov, born in 1984 in BukharaUzbekistan, entered Turkey as an 18-year-old in August 7, 2002 and was never heard from again, while on September 19, 2002, a man claimed to have forgotten to register the birth of his now 15-year-old son, and did so as Ersan İlyasova, a Turkish citizen.[29] This claim, that İlyasova is actually Ilyasov and should be an Uzbek player, was officially put forth by the Uzbekistan Basketball Federation in a grievance, but FIBA ruled in the Turkish Basketball Federation's favor.[27] While this controversy was brewing, some media outlets, such as ESPN's Chad Ford, openly referred to Ilyasova as "The 17-year-old forward from Uzbekistan is widely considered the best prospect to ever come out of Turkey."[30] Other biographies, while not claiming an Uzbek birth, still maintain a 1984 birth year.[31]

not like it matters much now I guess, but 3 yrs in basketball makes some difference. But he's a rental, I know. Just sharing with the group. Carry on.

Edited by LamarHampton

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

For Splitter this is ok. We actualluy get someone on the court to play. Glad we still have the Brooklyn pick.

I want more.

The big thing is that he's not a weakling around the rim, like Moose is.  Hawks may play Ersan at the 5, while leaving Moose at the 4.  Playing Ersan with either Millsap or Howard with the 2nd unit, should be beneficial as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The big thing is that he's not a weakling around the rim, like Moose is.  Hawks may play Ersan at the 5, while leaving Moose at the 4.  Playing Ersan with either Millsap or Howard with the 2nd unit, should be beneficial as well.

Ersan is also a better defensive rebounder

Moose: 13.6 DRB%

Illy: 18.8 DRB%

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Looking at 82.games data over the last 3 years since his last run with MIL, he's played the 5 sparingly, but it says to me anyway that he's an emergency 5... he's not your primary back-up if you can help it.

After one or two games think that the horrid fear of when Sap comes off the floor will be relieved quite a bit now. Ersan plays hard and it shows compared to Moose playing hard and it doesn't really matter. Scott really is MIA these days as well. May even help with Sap's heavy minutes some. Afraid Bud will still have Moose on the floor at backup C instead of Kris most minutes but this move does definitely help us at PF and just maybe at C. Be nice to see another helpful move of course.

I realize Ily will more than likely come off the bench, but I'd love to see the Hawks experiment with him at 4 and Sap at 3.

I'm beating the "Sap at SF" horse pretty hard. Is it dead yet?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Watchman said:

Well we basically got a decent player for a couple of meh 2nd rounders, and one of those is apparently just swapping 2nd rounders.  I really didn't realize he was producing like he is this year.  He is better than I thought he was.  He would be the third leading scorer and third leading rebounder on our team.

He isn't close to our third best player (putting up stats on a terrible team) but he is a solid rotation player.  He will add value.  Just hoping this isn't a signal that this is the level of move we are making - going for a solid single and not a home run.  Splitter was a big piece in any hypothetical big deal so I'm not encouraged by that.  

In isolation the deal is just fine but it means we will not be contending this season if that is the level of deal we are doing.

It isn't shuffling chairs on the Titanic but more like upgrading from an uncomfortable wooden chair to a lazy boy.  Demonstrably more comfortable but that boat still isn't reaching its intended destination.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AHF said:

He isn't close to our third best player (putting up stats on a terrible team) but he is a solid rotation player.  He will add value.  Just hoping this isn't a signal that this is the level of move we are making - going for a solid single and not a home run.  Splitter was a big piece in any hypothetical big deal so I'm not encouraged by that.  

In isolation the deal is just fine but it means we will not be contending this season if that is the level of deal we are doing.

It isn't shuffling chairs on the Titanic but more like upgrading from an uncomfortable wooden chair to a lazy boy.  Demonstrably more comfortable but that boat still isn't reaching its intended destination.

Well crap.   I actually really like the move.  I've always liked the guy and it's the kind of move that you need to make for the playoffs.  

But you're exactly right.  With Splitter moved we don't have enough salary to send out for an actual difference maker. 

Humphries was considered a rental and he has stuck around and added great depth. The fact we got ANYTHING for Splitter is pretty amazing and a guy that instantly becomes our best outside shooter is a bonus.

I will not support this team if they pull a Braves and tank when they are contenders.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1