• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sap is gone to Denver

GameTime

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

First of all, I THINK everybody in here should saw the writing on the wall.  That we don't have the talent to deal with the Cavs, C's, or the Raptors plus we don't have the youth of the Bucks and 76ers or veteran moxie like the Hornets and Heat.  Right now, this team needs a reboot and I think this is way over due.

If you can make a roster that is going to get deeper in the playoffs than the roster we had last year or any year, then I got some land to sell to you in Alaska.  It sucks and it might take a while but all of this happen because of the owner and Front Office short sightless and they need to know when its time to start over. 

OK... You say we're a treadmill team.  You say that we're not competitive with the top teams.  OK.  Here's the question.  How is what we have done going to make us better than that situation??

Don't get me wrong.. I like taking chances.  However, the chances have to be calculated with an endgame in mind.   We have none of that.  This is just a firesale.  Period.  We are making ourselves into one of the worst teams in the league... Obviously to tank.

However, if MY GM can't be trusted to get some useful assets along the way.. How can we trust him to make good decisions when it comes time to build the team.  Don't get hyped about being in the lottery... there are 14 other teams that will be in the lottery and some of them have been in the lottery for years.  Don't get Hyped about having FInancial Freedom.  Financial Freedom in this market is nothing if you don't have players that other players want to play with.  

Look at the desperation of a team like OKC.  They have a star... One after they visited the lottery serveral times and built a team with Westbrook, KD, IBaka, and Harden.  Funny... after all that lottery time, they only had 1 of the big four.  And in desperation they traded for a guy who told everybody that he's a 1 year rental. 

That's the kind of desperation we're dealing with. 

So... It's still a crap shoot and we're in a much less easier environment to rebuild than we were with Sap, Dwight, etc.

• Like 2

“Here, we have to get that situation. Even though they’ve been to the playoffs, they haven’t had a ton of success. Other than the one trip to the Eastern Conference finals, they’ve been first round and out, a couple second round and out. How do we get the next step? It’s a big summer with free agency out there. It’s a team that could have a lot of cap space depending on how we put it together. It’s certainly not going to be easy to do but the goal is to find another Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green. You are a really fortunate in Golden State to build through the draft. In doing that we are able to get free agents to want to come play with those guys. We’ve got to be diligent with our picks. We’ve got to be diligent with the guys we sign in free agency. One of the things we did in Golden State is we avoided signing bad contracts. All the guys we signed in free agency were on deals that were moveable. If you sign a bad free agent contract and it’s a deal that can’t be moved, that can hold your franchise down.”

A few predicted that this rebuild was coming after this quote and were shouted down for it. It was there if you just read between the lines. A 32 y/o making 30M is not easily movable. Hell even I have to admit I was wrong about Millsap's potential market, because the only other possible playoff team  to show interest was Minnesota. 

17 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

I'm just saying if you want to be the credit bureau then you have to forgive and forget at some point. We are a different team than we were in the 80's / 90's / 00's than we are now and not a single person in the organization from an ownership, management, coaching or player standpoint were around then. 

I'm sure that Cleveland Browns fan sleeps well at night with that same mindset...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, swanlee said:

"I'm not saying it's solely the fans faults"

It's not the fans fault AT ALL,  just remove that argument from the conversation. The fault lies in the never ending barrage of Crappy owners/Corporate owners making horrible decisions and treating ATL teams like a tax write off instead of something worth investing in.

Even though the Falcons have not won a SB they have been the most consistently well run ATL team and it is not surprise it is because that Franchise has an owner who cares and the games are sold out.

LOL okay. Not the fans faults. The Hawks have been to the EC finals and playoffs 10 straight years. The Braves were one of the best teams in baseball for a decade. The Falcons have been to 2 Super Bowls and are almost always among the better NFL teams. But it's not the fans fault that they don't get support? 

4 minutes ago, Dejay said:

I'm sure that Cleveland Browns fan sleeps well at night with that same mindset...

The Browns are clown shoes. They've never been relevant. That situation isn't even remotely similar to the Hawks. 

52 minutes ago, tonegully said:

Tony Ressler takes some of this blame too. He needs to NOT make any basketball decisions. thanks for Dwight howard..that was a waste

The Dolphins have a guy who started as an owner who made awful decisions and looked like a baby deer trying to walk when it came to running the organization and we've gone through hell to get to the point where we're at now where we have one of the best young coaches in football and a team with a lot of talent on all sides. We aren't "there" yet but Steve Ross is proof that owners can learn and I'm sure Ressler will as well. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Watchman said:

There are quotes out there from Millsap, stating that the Hawks never even made him an offer.  Wow.  Way to show your appreciation Hawks organization.  What a classy team.

They didn't want him...Schlenk is clearly going in a different direction.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

There are quotes out there from Millsap, stating that the Hawks never even made him an offer.  Wow.  Way to show your appreciation Hawks organization.  What a classy team.

How's it a lack of class from the Hawks? Schlenk said a week ago that we probably wouldn't be able to afford him. Do you honestly believe that we didn't know what he was going to get?

So if we had made Millsap an offer at 20ish million how would you all be reacting right now? Oh man how insulting of the Hawks. No class, yada yada yada. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dolfan23 said:

How's it a lack of class from the Hawks? Schlenk said a week ago that we probably wouldn't be able to afford him. Do you honestly believe that we didn't know what he was going to get?

So if we had made Millsap an offer at 20ish million how would you all be reacting right now? Oh man how insulting of the Hawks. No class, yada yada yada. 

If only the fans could have offered Sap a contract things would all be better, Dang fans fault again

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dejay said:

I said the same thing when they replaced Kasten. Then Babs. Then Knight. Then Sund. Then...

You were right when they replaced Sund.  If Gearon hadn't pulled a power play, we would be managed in a forward looking and proactive fashion.  I don't think the 60 win season was sustainable but there has been a lot of reactive mismanagement since.  

Of course, if Gearon doesn't try his hostile takeover of the team maybe we still have the ASG in charge.  Can't believe that terrible, terrible ownership group produced not one but two hostile takeover attempts from minority owners.  Pathetic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Either way it would still be true.

Just now, AHF said:

You were right when they replaced Sund.  If Gearon hadn't pulled a power play, we would be managed in a forward looking and proactive fashion.  I don't think the 60 win season was sustainable but there has been a lot of reactive mismanagement since.  

Of course, if Gearon doesn't try his hostile takeover of the team maybe we still have the ASG in charge.  Can't believe that terrible, terrible ownership group produced not one but two hostile takeover attempts from minority owners.  Pathetic.

ASG is looking no worse than Ressler now.

10 minutes ago, swanlee said:

"I'm not saying it's solely the fans faults"

It's not the fans fault AT ALL,  just remove that argument from the conversation. The fault lies in the never ending barrage of Crappy owners/Corporate owners making horrible decisions and treating ATL teams like a tax write off instead of something worth investing in.

Even though the Falcons have not won a SB they have been the most consistently well run ATL team and it is not surprise it is because that Franchise has an owner who cares and the games are sold out.

I just don't know sometimes (actually most times).  There are a lot of teams in the league that aren't winning championships but they still do their best to put out a quality product for their fan-base, year-in, year-out.  Teams like Phoenix, Utah, Denver, Indy, Milw...aren't hanging a bunch of banners in the rafters but they keep doing the best they can and I think their fans appreciate that.  It's almost kind of a "civic pride" thing.

When I hear people say things like "sure we won 60 games and got to the ECFs - who cares - we got swept", I think "at least we got there and it was a fun year".  Falcons fans are bummed that they messed up the SB...but they are also optimistic for this next season.  It's tough to be optimistic for the Hawks this coming season.

...and yes...I know, I have made many pro-tank posts in the past.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

ASG is looking no worse than Ressler now.

Ressler doesn't have any of the poisonous backstabbing among the ownership group that was the hallmark of the ASG.  The management of basketball operations hasn't been good under him.  

My biggest priority for this offseason was getting a new GM in place with actual authority to run the personnel side of the team.  That seems to be the case so that is a step in the right direction.  If Ressler keeps meddling, he still won't resemble the ASG but may resemble other owners who routinely get in the way of their team's success.  If he steps back, then he will be doing the right thing even if Schlenk screws up.  You have to hire your guy, give him rope and see if he succeeds or hangs himself with it.

8 minutes ago, swanlee said:

If only the fans could have offered Sap a contract things would all be better, Dang fans fault again

This is a ridiculous example but okay I'll play... thank God the fans aren't running things. Millsap was not worth 25-30 million for THIS team and I'm glad that we aren't paying him that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Ressler doesn't have any of the poisonous backstabbing among the ownership group that was the hallmark of the ASG.  The management of basketball operations hasn't been good under him.  

My biggest priority for this offseason was getting a new GM in place with actual authority to run the personnel side of the team.  That seems to be the case so that is a step in the right direction.  If Ressler keeps meddling, he still won't resemble the ASG but may resemble other owners who routinely get in the way of their team's success.  If he steps back, then he will be doing the right thing even if Schlenk screws up.  You have to hire your guy, give him rope and see if he succeeds or hangs himself with it.

Not the same faults, but equally bad faults just the same.  He should have just started over the minute he took over, and hired his own coach and GM.  Maybe then he would have at least kept his nose out of it.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Not the same faults, but equally bad faults just the same.  He should have just started over the minute he took over, and hired his own coach and GM.  Maybe then he would have at least kept his nose out of it.

I definitely wish we had hired a real GM from day 1.  The coach is not a no-brainer like the GM role is.  We've got a good coach and I'm fine keeping him even if it doesn't work out.

1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

So no matter what the Hawks had done it would still be classless? And you wonder why people have a negative opinion of Atlanta fans. 

I'm just saying that Millsap earned the respect that he did not receive from this ownership.  If they had low balled him, we would know that it was not intended to be an insult, just an indication we were going in "a different direction."