• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sap is gone to Denver

GameTime

Im excited to see the younguns. (Dennis/Prince/Bembry/Collins) etc...Along with whoever else we bring in...Its not like we were Championship material with Sap/Howard., etc....................... Btw, I think we'll win more games than people think..The Hawks always surprise. us. lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, High5 said:

The attitude of some fans in this thread has a lot to do with the mismanagement of our assets (in that Ressler probably felt the same way). The mindset of needing to stay "competitive" at all costs. How can you trade Horford when we just won 60 games? OK, we'll try to re-sign him and pair him with the center he has always wanted to play next to. Nope. How can you trade Millsap when we desperately need him to win and we just signed Dwight to finally fix our rebounding woes? OK, we'll ride out the playoffs and see what happens. 1st round exit.

Now Schlenk is here and (with Ressler's blessing) he's making the tough decisions to get us off that eternal treadmill. It's going to hurt at first, but it's a necessary evil to finally get us to where we want to be. 

That's exactly it. The fickle Atlanta fans don't make it easy for them either. They won't show up unless you're the best team in the league or another star is in town they can cheer for. 

Everyone needs to realize that teams usually make mistakes in going one direction and it's difficult to stop, drop dead weight, and head a new direction. This group may screw up too but at least they're starting over instead of riding out that 38-42 win treadmill team we were headed towards. 

We have a ton of cap space, 5+ talented young guys who could all end up being good or better players and someone regarded as one of the better coaches who appears to be willing to go through this process with them. 

Keep in mind what Miami did last year. Did they get a lot back for losing LeBron, Bosh, and DWade? Nope and that group is far better than the group we lost. So they signed bargain players, hit the jackpot with Whiteside and let their young veteran PG lead that group from a terrible start to the best team in the 2nd half of last season and a very bright future ahead of them. 

Please try and see the forest people and stop staring at the trees right in front of you. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, High5 said:

The attitude of some fans in this thread has a lot to do with the mismanagement of our assets (in that Ressler probably felt the same way). The mindset of needing to stay "competitive" at all costs. How can you trade Horford when we just won 60 games? OK, we'll try to re-sign him and pair him with the center he has always wanted to play next to. Nope. How can you trade Millsap when we desperately need him to win and we just signed Dwight to finally fix our rebounding woes? OK, we'll ride out the playoffs and see what happens. 1st round exit.

Now Schlenk is here and (with Ressler's blessing) he's making the tough decisions to get us off that eternal treadmill. It's going to hurt at first, but it's a necessary evil to finally get us to where we want to be. 

^^Pretty much this. +100

For like a decade I've been quietly making this same point about getting returns on players.  When it comes to trades, you have to strike when the iron is hot. It's a gamble, but team has not been willing to gamble in the 12 years since BK rebuilt us in 2004.  We don't gamble on coaches, players, GMs - nothing.  This is how we've remained stable and in the playoffs all these years.  It's also why we haven't accomplished anything.

If you want value for your players, you can't wait until the 11th our and wait for teams to toss you scraps (or lose your guys for nothing at  all).  It works sometimes when you have a franchise player, but even then you're not getting max value.  Nobody is going to give us their post precious assets for a 1 year or 1/2 year rental of our C-List All-Star. 

Problem is, we've been so dialed in on "sustained playoff success" that we actually embraced WLOC 2.0.  Dude, unless we have a contender, everything is negotiable.

10 hours ago, yungsta said:

Keeping that team together wasn't financially possible and that team wasn't all that good to begin with. All of our players end up getting overpaid because our system made them look better than they actually were.

Teague is now making nearly 20 Mil per year.

Carroll is making 15 mil to sit on the bench and limp around in Toronto.

Horford is making nearly 30 mil per to put up role player production.

Millsap is now making 30 mil per at 32 year old with knee issues.

Korver at 36 years old is still demanding multi year deals.

Keeping that team together would easily put us at the highest payroll in the league and we would still get swept by Cleveland every year.

The people that are mad are basically dialed in on that 60 win season and Danny Ferry.  There is no case anyone can make to change how they feel.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

yes, of course. 'like the next Marvin, Shelden or Acie Law. You can dream all you want.

Billy Knight is loooooong gone my friend....Stop being debbie downer. lol. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, KB21 said:

No, more like the majority of the players that are drafted in the lottery.  But go ahead, tried to make you case based on exceptions and not the majority.  It's also why you support tanking.  You believe the Hawks will be the exception and not the rule.

And yet you can't even come up with an exception to support your preferred path to contender status.  Why do you talk about this like any team has done the equivalent of resigning Paul and winning 40 games and won a ring?

You make it sound like the majority of champions follow this path and that the majority of champs don't spend time in the lottery before their ascendance.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Maybe a SNT after all if we could get something decent such as a pick to agree to take on salary.

I still can't believe we are looking at  losing two of the best big men in the NBA in back to back offseasons for NOTHING. BudCox should not just have lost their GM/president jobs, they should be fired for this. You can't lose All Star players for nothing especially in a market like Atlanta that can't attract any real free agents.

Totally agree that losing Horford and Sap for nothing is really hard to stomach.  Budcox was playing for the now without an eye towards were we were heading.  The Horford situation I don't mind as much because they planned on resigning him and would have had a pretty good squad last season and Horford on a palatable deal but after missing on him it is tough to justify letting Sap's contract expire without the intent to resign him when the offseason actually arrived.

Ferry would never have let this happen.  He wasn't a perfect GM but he had a plan and moved proactively.  Budcox did not have a true plan and were reactive and we are paying the price for that.  

Whether Schlenk is the right guy or not, I'm happy we have someone firmly in charge again.  I'm not a fan of his Dwight trade but if I were the owner I would give my GM a couple years before considering a change.  It is the owner's job to hire the right GM and then give him time to develop the team.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, terrell said:

Billy Knight is loooooong gone my friend....Stop being debbie downer. lol. 

I said the same thing when they replaced Kasten. Then Babs. Then Knight. Then Sund. Then...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dejay said:

I said the same thing when they replaced Kasten. Then Babs. Then Knight. Then Sund. Then...

Well I only referenced BK because those were his picks...Hell, All GM's miss on picks. We might get it right this time. who knows..Gotta start somewhere..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Dejay said:

To be fair, just because it didn't work in the past with people no longer here does mean we are doomed to fail for all time.

• Like 1

Just now, Sothron said:

To be fair, just because it didn't work in the past with people no longer here does mean we are doomed to fail for all time.

Tell that to a bank when they ask to pull your credit and you have a 510 FICO score. That's what the Hawks have with me when it comes to the draft no matter who's in charge until proven wrong...

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

That's exactly it. The fickle Atlanta fans don't make it easy for them either. They won't show up unless you're the best team in the league or another star is in town they can cheer for. 

Everyone needs to realize that teams usually make mistakes in going one direction and it's difficult to stop, drop dead weight, and head a new direction. This group may screw up too but at least they're starting over instead of riding out that 38-42 win treadmill team we were headed towards. 

We have a ton of cap space, 5+ talented young guys who could all end up being good or better players and someone regarded as one of the better coaches who appears to be willing to go through this process with them. 

Keep in mind what Miami did last year. Did they get a lot back for losing LeBron, Bosh, and DWade? Nope and that group is far better than the group we lost. So they signed bargain players, hit the jackpot with Whiteside and let their young veteran PG lead that group from a terrible start to the best team in the 2nd half of last season and a very bright future ahead of them. 

Please try and see the forest people and stop staring at the trees right in front of you. 

I been a fan for 40 years and I'm not paying superstar For lower level tickets $$$ for a bunch of no names that will never win.  Win and I will pay to come and see the games, go rock bottom and I will find something more entertaining.  I guess I will start attending Nashville Predators (NHL) games.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Look at you seeing the brighter side! You must be living in a fairytale world where the Wolves are legit legit and the Hawks are... well not. 

The only thing that could make me happier right now would be if we were able to trade Baze and his contract. Other than that I'm very excited about seeing Collins, Dorsey and Bembry get extended minutes next year on top of seeing Dennis and Prince get to the next level for each and probably have two 1st round picks and a crap ton of money next offseason. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

It's easier to fix a team when you have assets than when you don't.  Period.  We lost Horf, Sap and Dwight and seemingly got nothing of value back.   For you guys that think that being in the lottery of the draft is a fix all.. or having capspace is a fix all... OPEN YOUR EYES!!!  What teams are getting Better and what TEAMS are not??

The Haves are getting Better.  The teams getting Better are Houston, OKC, Etc.  The teams not getting better are those same teams that were in the lottery for the last 8 to 10 years. 

Here's the Bottom line... like it or not.   This restart you speak of is only going to make us a feeder team to other teams that are smart enough to reload.  We are on the Clipper 20 year plan my friend.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Look at you seeing the brighter side! You must be living in a fairytale world where the Wolves are legit legit and the Hawks are... well not. 

The only thing that could make me happier right now would be if we were able to trade Baze and his contract. Other than that I'm very excited about seeing Collins, Dorsey and Bembry get extended minutes next year on top of seeing Dennis and Prince get to the next level for each and probably have two 1st round picks and a crap ton of money next offseason. 

Definitely looking forward to summer League! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

It's easier to fix a team when you have assets than when you don't.  Period.  We lost Horf, Sap and Dwight and seemingly got nothing of value back.   For you guys that think that being in the lottery of the draft is a fix all.. or having capspace is a fix all... OPEN YOUR EYES!!!  What teams are getting Better and what TEAMS are not??

The Haves are getting Better.  The teams getting Better are Houston, OKC, Etc.  The teams not getting better are those same teams that were in the lottery for the last 8 to 10 years. 

Here's the Bottom line... like it or not.   This restart you speak of is only going to make us a feeder team to other teams that are smart enough to reload.  We are on the Clipper 20 year plan my friend.

I'm curious to see the response when the Hawks 6 year plan turns into a 10 year plan like the Suns have done this off season.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

One thing that hasn't been lost is Hawks University.  That 60 win season never happens without it.  The guys on that team probably don't end up getting those lucrative contracts with out it.  Hawks University is a big deal.  It's produced good players before and likely will again.

Thanks for the memories Paul !

Wow...what an awesome deal for Denver.  They get a 2nd tier All-star still basically in his prime for what is effectively a 2 year 60mil contract.  No need to draft/develop and they can be sure he will do his job and not mope.  Plus - if Millsap maintains his level of play next year they will have a great player on a manageable expiring contract to trade.  Christmas came early for the Nuggets.

• Like 1