• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sap is gone to Denver

GameTime

4 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I'm just saying that Millsap earned the respect that he did not receive from this ownership.  If they had low balled him, we would know that it was not intended to be an insult, just an indication we were going in "a different direction."

Are you referring to the same organization that made him the face of Hawks basketball in Atlanta the past 5 years? They were doing things for him that they didn't do for any other player. Sure ownership has changed but just because they weren't going to pay 30 million for him or "insult" him with an offer for 20 million, which would have gotten out to the public, doesn't mean that they were treating him without class. 

I don't believe for a second that a public lowball offer wouldn't be considered insulting to you guys. 

Bottom line we knew what Paul wanted. They knew what Paul wanted. We knew what we were comfortable paying him and they knew what we were comfortable paying him. If that was far enough apart then why would there need to be an offer made when we weren't going to overpay to keep him? 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Making a decision not offer Paul a contract because the organization is going in a different direction in no way is equivalent to disrespecting Paul.  Whether you agree with the direction or not, Schlenk's job is to start building the Hawks and not to make symbolic gestures of loyalty to certain players.  Making an offer to Millsap with no intention of signing him would have been disrespectful and a waste of everybody's time.

• Like 3

It was pretty clear to me this would be a rebuild after  reading some of Schlenk's comments. A new GM talking about putting an emphasis on drafting and flexibility usually means rebuilding is in the future.

This team was always going to rebuild at some point. Some of y'all don't want to hear that but it's true. Can't avoid the inevitable forever.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guard said:

It was pretty clear to me this would be a rebuild after  reading some of Schlenk's comments. A new GM talking about putting an emphasis on drafting and flexibility usually means rebuilding is in the future.

This team was always going to rebuild at some point. Some of y'all don't want to hear that but it's true. Can't avoid the inevitable forever.

The emphasis needs to be on "rebuild" or whatever word we used to describe it... vs "tanking" which is what too many people seem to be equating with what we're doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guard said:

It seems to be semantics to me.  What is the difference between "rebuilding" and "tanking"?  You lose all your starters off of an ECF team for little in return.  Kind of like politics.

Save us Dennis/Baze !!  (and maybe a pinch of Plumlee)

Edited by DJlaysitup
add to content

2 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

Note:  Does anybody think that Baze could be a serviceable "4"?  I know he isn't that tall but he is athletic.

Heck why not put him at the 5....

Are you serious DJ? He is too weak for Sfs how can he guard PFs?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

What is the difference between "rebuilding" and "tanking"? 

This.

This current roster has very little in the way of talent or assets and projects to lose early and often next season.

Meanwhile, we're supposed to hope that Dennis turns into a special player and that Prince is more than just a 5th starter on quality team.

Seriously, where else is the hope?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, ATLBob said:

This.

This current roster has very little in the way of talent or assets and projects to lose early and often next season.

Meanwhile, we're supposed to hope that Dennis turns into a special player and that Prince is more than just a 5th starter on quality team.

Tanking would be trading Dennis just to get rid of him like we did with Dwight.

We are clearly rebuilding. I realize to some degree rebuilding and tanking are semantics but people now think anyone rebuilding is using the Philly model. I sincerely hope that is not what we are doing. You can have a ton of young talent but with no stable veteran leadership it won't help.

• Like 2

Tanking=Doing things to help your team lose games and thus earn a high drat pick.

Rebuilding=Doing things that could help your team win or lose games.  

What Schlenk is doing is a stealthy tank job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATLBob said:

This.

Well, apparently we are supposed to hope that a bunch of guys who haven't even played college ball yet are going to be superstar players in the NBA.

We have some fans on here that believe Andrew Wiggins is a stud, even though he clearly isn't.  However, the excuse for his poor play to this point is the fact that he is 22 and "will get better."  Well, Dennis is 23, so apparently, players who are 22 can get better, but players who are 23 can't.

17 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

It seems to be semantics to me.  What is the difference between "rebuilding" and "tanking"?  You lose all your starters off of an ECF team for little in return.  Kind of like politics.

Save us Dennis/Baze !!  (and maybe a pinch of Plumlee)

I think there is a difference albeit small. The goal for both paths  ultimately is to start over.

This team isn't blowing it up and trading everyone for picks and young players. The roster has naturally regressed over time to the point where they are pretty young without trying to be. There is no building block on the team and Sap is only going to get older. The roster is not in good shape so rebuilding becomes a logical option. 

Edited by Guard

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

...,You can have a ton of young talent but with no stable veteran leadership it won't help.

Yeah Soth...I wish we could get a veteran leader...kind of a tough guy who would command respect. 

If we could get a guy like that for say...3/90 with a team option...that would be what this team needs :ohmy:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

Yeah Soth...I wish we could get a veteran leader...kind of a tough guy who would command respect. 

If we could get a guy like that for say...3/90 with a team option...that would be what this team needs :ohmy:

I am still shocked they wouldn't keep him on that same deal. If nothing else we could have traded him at the deadline at some point.

5 minutes ago, Guard said:

This team isn't blowing it up and trading everyone for picks and young players.

Lol the only reason this team isn't getting blown up is that there's nothing to blow up and practically no one to take who isn't already young.

I ain't mad about Trill. We all knew that was how this would go down (the SNT hope was just that: a grasping for some kind of hope of some kind).

Whatever played out between Budcox+Ressler 17 months ago set us on this path. 

Either you continue to build around Horford or you flip him. 

The decision should have been made then one way or another.

Instead we got the "indecision" and now we're going to get the "unwatchable" for several years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DBac said:

What do yall think it would take for them to trade Dennis? How untouchable is he?

This is not to say that I would trade Dennis or even be looking to right now... just curious.

How could we know? I mean, even if Shillenk told us, could we believe him?

• Like 1