• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sap is gone to Denver

GameTime

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

It's easier to fix a team when you have assets than when you don't.  Period.  We lost Horf, Sap and Dwight and seemingly got nothing of value back.   For you guys that think that being in the lottery of the draft is a fix all.. or having capspace is a fix all... OPEN YOUR EYES!!!  What teams are getting Better and what TEAMS are not??

The Haves are getting Better.  The teams getting Better are Houston, OKC, Etc.  The teams not getting better are those same teams that were in the lottery for the last 8 to 10 years. 

Here's the Bottom line... like it or not.   This restart you speak of is only going to make us a feeder team to other teams that are smart enough to reload.  We are on the Clipper 20 year plan my friend.

Those decisions were made before Schlenk got here...nothing anyone could do to change the past.  It might take a little longer but if he is any good, the cream always rises to the top.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Tell that to a bank when they ask to pull your credit and you have a 510 FICO score. That's what the Hawks have with me when it comes to the draft no matter who's in charge until proven wrong...

To be fair, we have drafted Horford, Josh Smith, Dennis and Prince. I understand being jaded when it comes to the hawks and the lottery but you can't forever refuse to rebuild just because of past history. That's like saying I'm never going the same way to work every day because one time I got a ticket on the way to work.

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

I'm curious to see the response when the Hawks 6 year plan turns into a 10 year plan like the Suns have done this off season.

The Suns... The Hornets... The Magic... The Wizards...

Even if we get  a High Lottery pick... who is to say that it doesn't happen in the year of a bad draft??  Hello Shelden.  Who is to say that we don't pick a Marvin over a CP3...    It's a crapshoot and for people believing that a bar side court is going to bring in FAs... they have not been watching the league make it easier for FAs to stay home... nor do they know our history of attracting FAs.

We are going down the path of Fan Loyalty.  I suspect in 2 years, I won't see some of the names and handles on Hawksquawk that I see today.

In essence, the choices of what happened after 2015 have helped to set the franchise back for years. I am not sure what Ferry does, but the short time frame in which Bud was president of basketball operations was not good at all.

Bud as the operator of a basketball team screwed up. Big time. You can never view things in just a "now" time frame. You have to also look at the long haul. He did not. Thus, he got nothing for two great big men.

The team did recover but in January of last year I had flashes of the Atlanta Braves 2014 dancing in my eyes with the Hawks with how poorly they were playing. That was the time period to realize that it was not going to work and to trade your pending FAs. Bud did not. While he was able to help the team recover, it was then that I knew a second Cleveland series would fail just as horribly as the first and wala, it failed just as horribly.

I do not know what will actually happen but this is almost exactly like the 2014 Atlanta Braves, part 2. Except this time, the team gave it one more ride, with a center that is a poor fit for the system and team. Predictably, it went badly and sorry, but the Hawks were lucky to even make the playoffs. I'm in the discussion area when it comes to analytics vs the eye test, but no, the Hawks failed both tests for me. It's a team that really should have been 39-43 and out of the playoffs.

So the lesson learned kids is to always have a GM that doesn't have homer glasses. Bud has likely set the franchise back for at least 6-7 years (dating back to 2015) thanks to what he did in the FO.

12 minutes ago, terrell said:

Well I only referenced BK because those were his picks...Hell, All GM's miss on picks. We might get it right this time. who knows..Gotta start somewhere..

Not like this franchise has. When the Commissioner has to keep from laughing when he gets your draft card, well...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, DJlaysitup said:

Thanks for the memories Paul !

Wow...what an awesome deal for Denver.  They get a 2nd tier All-star still basically in his prime for what is effectively a 2 year 60mil contract.  No need to draft/develop and they can be sure he will do his job and not mope.  Plus - if Millsap maintains his level of play next year they will have a great player on a manageable expiring contract to trade.  Christmas came early for the Nuggets.

Millsap's numbers declined a lot last year so I'm not sure 32-34 are prime years.  More like 25-30 I would think.  Otherwise poster would be more positive about some of our younger players already performing well before the age of 25.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Those decisions were made before Schlenk got here...nothing anyone could do to change the past.  It might take a little longer but if he is any good, the cream always rises to the top.

In the Dwight trade.. and in his Lies to the media.. Schlenk has already told us who he is.  He doesn't really understand the culture here and if you don't understand the culture, you are less likely to change it. 

Just now, Diesel said:

In the Dwight trade.. and in his Lies to the media.. Schlenk has already told us who he is.  He doesn't really understand the culture here and if you don't understand the culture, you are less likely to change it. 

Schlenk was purely posturing with Dwight and you badly fell for it. He wanted Dwight out of his hair immediately and his first order was ship him off.

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

To be fair, we have drafted Horford, Josh Smith, Dennis and Prince. I understand being jaded when it comes to the hawks and the lottery but you can't forever refuse to rebuild just because of past history. That's like saying I'm never going the same way to work every day because one time I got a ticket on the way to work.

But if you're getting pulled over at the rate that the Hawks bomb picks in the lottery, I don't know about you but I'm taking out the GPS and finding another route. Color me cynical...

16 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Tell that to a bank when they ask to pull your credit and you have a 510 FICO score. That's what the Hawks have with me when it comes to the draft no matter who's in charge until proven wrong...

THAT is the exact problem with Hawks fans. Instead of thinking forward they prefer to act like arguably the worst idea and still the most broken system in America. Why would you want to be one of the credit bureaus in your relationship with the Hawks? Do you honestly think you'll ever be happy like that? They make a mistake and it takes 7-15 years before you'll get past it? And the compounded mistakes must make you feel absolutely miserable about them and they have no chance of revsersing your opinion despite 10 years of sustained success. See the problem? 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

To be fair, we have drafted Horford, Josh Smith, Dennis and Prince. I understand being jaded when it comes to the hawks and the lottery but you can't forever refuse to rebuild just because of past history. That's like saying I'm never going the same way to work every day because one time I got a ticket one time.

Let's tell the whole truth..

We have drafted those guys... plus... Shelden, Childress, and Acie.

Moreover, Josh, Dennis, and Prince were not lottery picks...

The analogy you need is this...  I have been down that bumpy road before and it requires that I buy new tires. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

The analogy you need is this...  I have been down that bumpy road before and it requires that I buy new tires. 

#12 is a lottery pick

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Or maybe you just needed a better driver and pit crew. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Schlenk was purely posturing with Dwight and you badly fell for it. He wanted Dwight out of his hair immediately and his first order was ship him off.

Schlenk has never stopped posturing and you're still falling for it.  He said that we're not tanking... He said that we would be exciting. 

He moved irrationally with the Dwight trade and had he waited he could have gotten a better deal.   This is what we have in a GM...  A mix of Babcock and Sund.

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The Suns... The Hornets... The Magic... The Wizards...

Even if we get  a High Lottery pick... who is to say that it doesn't happen in the year of a bad draft??  Hello Shelden.  Who is to say that we don't pick a Marvin over a CP3...    It's a crapshoot and for people believing that a bar side court is going to bring in FAs... they have not been watching the league make it easier for FAs to stay home... nor do they know our history of attracting FAs.

We are going down the path of Fan Loyalty.  I suspect in 2 years, I won't see some of the names and handles on Hawksquawk that I see today.

Exactly, and even if the Hawks had drafted Chris Paul, what team has he taken to a championship?

Essentially, what the Hawks are doing is becoming very bad for the next 5-6 years just to get back to the point they were already at.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

Or maybe you just needed a better driver and pit crew. 

Who is to say that Schlenk is that??

What's the guys Philosophy again??  Sounds generic to me. 

Just now, Diesel said:

Schlenk has never stopped posturing and you're still falling for it.  He said that we're not tanking... He said that we would be exciting. 

He moved irrationally with the Dwight trade and had he waited he could have gotten a better deal.   This is what we have in a GM...  A mix of Babcock and Sund.

I knew that this was a rebuild.

I know that you fell for it horribly with Howard and him.

What I also know, is if you keep riding on Dennis being traded, he never will be.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I knew that this was a rebuild.

I know that you fell for it horribly with Howard and him.

What I also know, is if you keep riding on Dennis being traded, he never will be.

“Our goal is still to be competitive,” Schlenk said before the draft. “Being competitive and maintaining our flexibility, that’s still where we are. We are not in a rebuild phase.”

Congratulations Lurker... You know what our Own GM doesn't.

8 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

THAT is the exact problem with Hawks fans. Instead of thinking forward they prefer to act like arguably the worst idea and still the most broken system in America. Why would you want to be one of the credit bureaus in your relationship with the Hawks? Do you honestly think you'll ever be happy like that? They make a mistake and it takes 7-15 years before you'll get past it? And the compounded mistakes must make you feel absolutely miserable about them a SN they have no chance of revsersing your opinion despite 10 years of sustained success. See the problem? 

When they have the list of stiffs as lottery choices, uh, YES. You don't just write off Marvin Williams over Chris Paul or Jon Koncak over three HOFers and say, 'well, they'll get it right this time around'. You remember every single time Marvin fell all over himself with the ball and every time Adam Keefe had his own shot blocked by the refs a foot shorter than he is. 

Don't get me wrong, I know that they don't have a choice at this point. That doesn't mean that I have to like it. And based on the way they have historically done business, I won't until proven differently...

Edited by Dejay

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Don't insult Babcock and Sund like that!  How rude.