• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Sign Dedmon

Jody23

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, AHF said:

Pretty sure he has been compared to both Deke and Tree Rollins on this thread.  And in both cases described as his upside being a lite version of those guys.

And having said that, Deke > Tree by some margin.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, sturt said:

And having said that, Deke > Tree by some margin.

Seriously. Dedmon is more like Dalembert. he is what he is. there's no one running around here thinking we just signed a HOF center...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Seriously. Dedmon is more like Dalembert. he is what he is. there's no one running around here thinking we just signed a HOF center...

That's probably a much better comparison all the way around, but for obvious reasons, we tend to first think of former Hawks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I feel fairly confident in saying that not one person has compared Dedmon to Deke. For 7m on two seasons this is a value signing for a rebuilding team. I don't understand how you can be negative about it.

I'm not negative about the signing.  I said it's a decent signing.  I just think that many of you have ideas that this guy will be great... even a starter.   I don't think so.  I think he's a 2nd string Center and we signed a 2nd string C. 

• Premium Member

Like I said... hard to get upset with those detached from reality enough to consider DeWayne the second coming of Deke if you yourself are trying to sell the idea that someone else on the roster will start ahead of him... as-if we have anyone else on the roster currently who started about 30 games at center last season, right???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Seems like a decent signing to me. So what if he fouls too much? I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks don't have a center that averages more than 25 MPG this year. It's probably going to be a by committee  situation.

Tree usually picked up two fouls before the opening tip!

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Like I said... hard to get upset with those detached from reality enough to consider DeWayne the second coming of Deke if you yourself are trying to sell the idea that someone else on the roster will start ahead of him... as-if we have anyone else on the roster currently who started about 30 games at center last season, right???

Moose or Plumlee will be your starter...  or someone else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I honestly do not know who Bud will start between the three of them. Depends on the mesh and whether we get another four like Mirotic or JaMychal Green. Then things really get crazy as I could see our rookie starting at the five. The positional-less NBA, bigger players at the four and smaller players at the five. All dependent on their game, inside or outside.

This signing is not for our long term future for sure; otherwise we would have invested a lot more years in Dedmon. This is a good band-aid as Schlenk continues the rebuild.

• Like 1

Good signing. I think he's was the best available center. We desperately needed rim protection, so I'm happy we got it. He also seems to play well in the pick and roll defense. Does anyone know how well he does against stretch bigs and pick and pops?

I think we also need a secondary ball handler at the SF or SG position. Dennis/Baze/Prince/Collins/ Dedmon lineup really lacks ball handling. You could start Bembry, but then your shooting is lacking. We need someone we can throw in there to add ball handling. I guess that could come from a second PG, but I'm not fond of two PG lineups. Tyreke Evans probably would of been a good pickup that could have played SG/SF; he got 3.3m for 1 year from the Grizzlies.

I think the three biggest weaknesses of this team right now are outside shooting, ball handling, and lack of shot creators. We really don't have a single player that can just ISO and get their shot. This is one of the reasons I wanted us to trade up for Donovan Mitchell because he checked all 3 of these boxes plus added defense. Before people bring up Dennis let me say he really is a straight line driver, that's really fast. He has very little wiggle or deception(change of speed) to his game. I don't consider him to be an above average shot creator.

32 minutes ago, Diesel said:

LOL!!!

i bet plumlee ass sits on the bench yet again with his 3rd or 4th team in a matter of a two year span and continue to collect his check.

FYI one of the reasons plumlee continues to not receive minutes is because it's said he doesn't really care about basketball. Plumlee is a rag doll at this point.

dedmon will almost absolutely be the starter...beating out plumlee is no challenge.

• Premium Member

Games started the last two seasons

Moose: 3 in ball-movement system

Plumlee: 12 not in a ball-movement system

Dedmon: 57 in a ball-movement system

I don't get the debate. Just as much as I don't get anyone who would assert Dewayne is in Deke's universe.

• Like 2

Just now, Diesel said:

Doubtful. 

But you keep on hoping.  

Probable. 

But you keep on doubting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hazer said:

Probable. 

But you keep on doubting.

Remember that game of slaps when we were all kids, ok maybe some Squawkers were not actually born then, but anyway banter on this site sometimes reminds me a whole lot of that game. Oh the flashbacks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't remotely put it past Bud to start Moose.  There is some crazy love there.

So much that he started him 3 games in 2 years.

Now c'mon. Don't get silly. If there was that  much love, there'd be some evidence.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, sturt said:

So much that he started him 3 games in 2 years.

Now c'mon. Don't get silly. If there was that  much love, there'd be some evidence.

There is plenty of evidence of the love but we previously had Al Horford and Dwight Howard.  We won't have anyone close to that status or contract ahead of him now.  It is an open question for me who will start.  I think Dedmon will get plenty of minutes but not anywhere close to mid-30s regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench.  It is not a silly notion that Bud could start Moose, IMO.