• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game 2: Hawks at Cavaliers

lethalweapon3

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I wonder is it by design in this offense that the 2 guard handles the ball as much as I've seen this preseason and is encouraged to initiate the offense.  if so you are right, Baze should not be starting.

Seems that way. I agree that Delaney had more downs than ups in this game but it was pretty obvious that bud threw him in cause baze just wasn’t getting the job done.

i say try out Bembry with the starters and play baze with the bench. Even if we have to go smaller on the bench and play baze at SF.

I was pleasantly surprised by Dorsey's athleticism.  He seems much quicker than in college.  His defense wasn't as abysmal as I thought it would be.

John Collins looks like he has allstar potential.  Our guards need to get him the ball better, but I feel that will start happening the more the team plays together.

Dedmon is definitely a pleasant surprise.  I don't mind him taking the occassional three as it will the proper spacing for Bud ball. He has much more offensive potential that I first thought.  I disagree with some that say he's a back up. If he gives you 13 and 8 as your starting center, those are solid numbers.  I'm a bit concerned with his rebounding numbers thus far, but it's only the second preseason game.

All in all, if this team hits its shots, it will def make the playoffs in the East.

• Like 2

I don't care about politics, contracts, experience, etc...

The starting 5 I want to see and I think will be most effective this year is

PG: Dennis

SG: Bembry 

SF: Prince

PF: Collins

C: Dedmon

Young, Fast, Athletic, Smart, and really active defensively.

Bembry is key here, most don't like him cuz he can't shoot, but dude is probably the best basketball player on the team. He knows the game and sees it like a vet. His IQ alongside the other starters will help elevate our big men to another level by finding them in great position as well as keep TP from falling into the Baze-trap of doing too much, and keep Dennis from having to take over constantly.

Backups 2nd string/3rd String

PG: Cook/Delaney

SG: Bellineli/Dorsey

SF: Baze/ Brussino

PF: Illyasova/ Babbit

C: Moose/ Plum*

*I actually like Plumlee more than Moose but I know our coach and I doubt Plumlee will ever get enough burn to showcase that he is the better player.

• Like 2

I don't judge players after two preseason games, but Baze has to get his sh*t together. Man I really hope that dude manages to live up to his contract or at least to half the amount he gets! And I still don't like the fact he plays SG. I think the Hawks would look that much better with a capable 3-pt shooter beside Dennis.

Now the help defender can always stay close to Dennis because he knows as long as Baze has no clear path to the rim, he is no problem. Not a good thing to have your main scorer potentially doubled every possession, just because your shooting guard can't shoot...

Edited by rd79

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Bembry is key here, most don't like him cuz he can't shoot, but dude is probably the best basketball player on the team. He knows the game and sees it like a vet. His IQ alongside the other starters will help elevate our big men to another level by finding them in great position as well as keep TP from falling into the Baze-trap of doing too much, and keep Dennis from having to take over constantly.

*I actually like Plumlee more than Moose but I know our coach and I doubt Plumlee will ever get enough burn to showcase that he is the better player.

What has Bembry done (except be drafted by us) to make him the "key" to this team.  He's D-League quality.  I honestly think if it came down to Bembry vs. Dorsey, I'm riding with Dorsey based on what I have seen in a pro game. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

What has Bembry done (except be drafted by us) to make him the "key" to this team.  He's D-League quality.  I honestly think if it came down to Bembry vs. Dorsey, I'm riding with Dorsey based on what I have seen in a pro game. 

He has been the lead defender and playmaker in college and has a great summer league.  He hasn't proven much of anything in the league yet but people have seen total failure from Delaney and repeated failure from Baze so they are projecting hopes onto Bembry.  

All those guys should get their chance to prove themselves this year.

• Like 2

Ok here we go..

Dennis: Ups and downs in his game. I really liked him kicking the rock out for some supposedly easy 3's. Played very unselfish. Still think he has to recognize earlier whether the drive is a good option or not. Too often he's running into double teams instead of taking the j. Hopefully this will get better throughout the next games. He has to understand that hitting 1 or 2 js will give him more opportunities on easy layups.

Baze: buried us in the first 5 minutes. That guy. I can't handle him. He wants too much. Turns the ball over at a ridiculous rate. He needs to understand that he's no primary ballhandler. Off ball he's alright.

Prince: I still can't figure out whether he can shoot or not. Had a nice streak in the 2nd half. I like his euro steps towards the basket. He gon get easy fts out of that throughout the season. 

Illy: illy is illy. Hit some nice fade aways and took his occasional charge.

Dedmon: I really like him. His jumper looks very good. Never thought he has that ability. Had some great pick roll plays with dennis.

Collins: showed effort. However he looked a little bit lost to me and wasn't really part of our offense. But that's mostly to blame on delamey. Wanna see him more with Dennis on the court.

Dorsey: Was really happy to see him finally making buckets. He needs confidence to be a reliable option. I see a bit of Thj in him. Really streaky.

Brussino: looks good on the offensive end. Makes his shots and has nice footwork and ball handling skills. On defense he looks lost. Gets pushed around due to his lack of size.

Babbit: showed effort. Did what he's here for. Spreading the floor.

Moose: can't even tell if he played. 

Cook: looks good as a floor general. Keeps the rock moving and hits his shots. Only thing bothering me are his butterfingers. Had some nice finishes around the basket.

Delaney: he doesn't look like a nba player to me. Seems desperate. Made the occasional travel on every third play. Can't hit his js and makes bad decisions. He doesn't trust his own shot. Many times we passed the ball around as it suddenly was in malcolms hands with space to hit the 3. Instead of shooting he ran into the collapsed defense and tried to shuffle it out again. 

Overall I can see a nice group of young hard working guys. We won't win many games but hopefully we have a handful of starting caliber players after the season. Wanna see what Bembry can do as secondary ball handler next to dennis. He showed glimpses of greatness. I'm looking forward to a nice trio of Dennis - Bembry - Collins

Edited by StephenHawking
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Hes done nothing tangible in real NBA games yet. 

That being said, I'm willing to bet he is a real baller given playing time. You can hold me to that. 

He is key in my opinion because he can handle the rock better than anyone on the team not named Dennis.

He also knows how to find teammates in scoring position as opposed to most of our roster.

He is very athletic and a savvy defender at a young age and should only get better.

He isn't a pure shooter which is his only knock, but yet he finds ways to create offense and score. 

He isn't a guy you ask to come in and stay in the corner and wait for the ball. He is someone who needs to be involved in the action. 

I could be wrong about him, but I am confident that I'm not. I have more faith in him now than I ever did in Baze. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Does our starting 5 have enough shooting?

16 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Nice little interview with Dedmon.  I rock with homes.  Not crazy about him shooting threes but I don’t hate it.  His midrange stats and his stroke suggest over the course of the season he could hit one every 3 games on a lone attempt.  It clearly ain’t his style to camp out there like many Bigs who don’t like contact.

I feel like I'm going to grow to really like Dedmon and then be sad when he signs somewhere else next season.

Nah, Ilyasova is better than Collins at the moment. If Bembry shows the ability to be a solid secondary ballhandler in the NBA I would definitely start him over Baze despite the fact that he could be a non-shooter. It would open up many possibilities for Dennis because he is a real off-ball threat (Catchnshoot ~40 3P% off the catch last two seasons , cutting).