• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if Dennis Acted Like Steph...

RedDawg#8

There have been a couple of posters very critical of Dennis' behavior/character because he shows a little bravado on the court. But you never hear anyone criticize Curry for antics like last night, which wasn't  even the first time he has tossed his mouthpiece during a game. 

I think people look at Dennis and his more flashy demeanor and assume a lot of negatives whereas a guy like Curry gets a pass because of his baby face and complexion.

I don't believe it is a talent thing either. Like "Curry is a star player so it's different" because even Lebron can't do half the stuff Curry gets away with without getting blasted by the talking heads.

Anyways, for those that are critical of Dennis, just be happy that he doesn't act like this 

• Like 2

Dennis kinda does act like that and I love it.  That’s the type of mentality that allows you to lead the league in steals or grab more rebounds than Tristan Thompson in the Finals.  

I wish more people knew how gritty Steph is instead of this sharpshooting pretty boy.  I don’t see an issue with any of those clips: dumb fan obviously said something aggregious, came to the aid of his teammates twice, and hand-fighting with the best defending PG in the league and a 260 pound human being.  That’s exactly what you want from your best player.  You rather have Joe Johnson showing no passion at all?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

I was watching that game last night.  The Warriors were crying ALL GAME.  Steph's outburst was unacceptable. Both he and Durant wanted out of the game because they individually played great, but the rest of the team sucked. And they no answer for the rapidly improving Marc Gasol.

Warriors better watch themselves before they become the most hated team in the league, and not the most fun team to watch.

• Like 2

Well even players have already tried pointing out the hypocrisy about Steph and his anointing by both the media and NBA only to just be called haters. 

And North....the Warriors have been hated for awhile now.  From Draymond’s Rockettes auditions, Durant’s fragile masculinity, to Curry’s lightskin ‘Toine impressions and of course... Zaza just being Zaza.      Only Klay gets a pass and that’s because people are bemused by him looking high all the time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I agree with the sentiment of being a leader emotionally and energetically. There's a big gap between Joe Johnson and guys like Tony Allen and Beverly who are great examples of grittyness.

But some of Currys behavior is very immature and lacks leadership. There's competive back and forth like MJ and Kobe and then there's  just silly outbursts which could really hurt your team in the long run. I think it's something to keep an eye on. Draymond Green getting suspended costs them another ring two years ago. Curry needs to have the kind of leadership that shows his teammates how to maintain their composure. Curry is the face of that team, he has to be the example and not get sucked in to petty drama

As far as Dennis I don't see the same similarities. NO, Dennis never backs down, YES Dennis will get in your face. But you've never seems Dennis lose his cool to the point of fighting other players, arguing with fans in the stands, or tossing his mouthpiece without regard for who it hits. 

For instance, Remember when IT slapped Dennis? He got visibly pissed by that but he didn't take the bait and retaliate which would have gotten him T'd or ejected. Dennis knows how to let a guy know that he gots something for you without having to throw a punch.

Thats the kind of composure you need to have while still being competitive, aggressive and never backing down 

Good write up! This is why I think he can be an all star other than his skills. Dennis just has an alpha dog type attitude. Now it’s yet to be known if he can be a franchise player and to me it doesn’t matter he’s going to need other stars around him to really be able to compete for a championship anyways so maybe or if we ever get another highly potential player who could be an all star, maybe he will be the franchise player.

nonetheless Dennis aka lil Goldie is a keeper 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 10/22/2017 at 1:20 PM, Dnice said:

Well maybe Ayesha needs to put her foot in his mouth...:oops:

I think this accentuates the difference between Steph and Dennis.   Steph is nationally known.  His family is nationally known.  He's going to the Hall of fame and will go down as one of the greats.   Dennis tries to do the same thing but he's just a good scorer and mediocre on defense and mediocre at passing.  Dennis has not earned the right to consider himself in Curry's league.   You see the same with Lebron.  Lebron gets away with a whole lot. Even the steroids.  But he's the face of the league.  He has been allowed to question officials and show that kind of Bravado because at the end of the day, people tune in to see him.   When people start tuning in to see Dennis, he won't be criticized for his "bravado". 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Certain players are cast as "heroes", and certain ones are cast as "villains" and everything that happens is viewed through that prism.

This is true, but I don't think it applies to Dennis yet.

On 10/22/2017 at 1:36 PM, MaceCase said:

Only Klay gets a pass and that’s because people are bemused by him looking high all the time.

Klay is the lovable toaster guy who doesn’t dribble and whose shoes are even more off-brand than Steph’s.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he blatantly starting vaping on the bench.  And his hair looks like a helmet.

Any struggles they have I blame on Burner Account.  He isn’t part of their core and doesn’t play like them off the ball.  That and the weak bench with an aging Iggy and Livingston.  West has been trash since ring chasing with the Spurs 2 years ago and don’t talk to me about Nick Young.  I also think Steph has a goal in mind to make All-Defense but is too reckless with fouls.  Just stick to being a great team defender.

Edited by benhillboy

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think this accentuates the difference between Steph and Dennis.   Steph is nationally known.  His family is nationally known.  He's going to the Hall of fame and will go down as one of the greats.   Dennis tries to do the same thing but he's just a good scorer and mediocre on defense and mediocre at passing.  Dennis has not earned the right to consider himself in Curry's league.   You see the same with Lebron.  Lebron gets away with a whole lot. Even the steroids.  But he's the face of the league.  He has been allowed to question officials and show that kind of Bravado because at the end of the day, people tune in to see him.   When people start tuning in to see Dennis, he won't be criticized for his "bravado". 

I don't think I can remember a time Lebron even acted like he was about to fight someone. He carries himself above most of the shouting/shoving match behavior because he has his own guys that get scrappy for him. In other words it's truly King like. He knows perception, he is aware when guys bait him. Remember when Dwight was the man and he'd take hard fouls and lose it from time to time, guys still go at Lebrun and he just ignores them. 

Sports allegiance aside there really isn't much to dislike about the guy, he's carried himself about as well as anyone could have asked for a fatherless teenager from the hood having fame and fortune thrown at his feet at the age of 18. He defies all logic when it comes to character. 

• Like 2

I don't like LeBron because he is our arch enemy in the East and thusly has been a brick wall for us in the playoffs and then of course a few irritating facial expressions here and there but you are absolutely right. He stays above the fray and doesn't use social media in a Trumpoid manner either which is way too common now so really he is a straight up quality guy and a strong role model. Same old story of course with me, would love him to pieces if he was a Hawk but he is not.  The East always has to go through that guy.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't think I can remember a time Lebron even acted like he was about to fight someone. He carries himself above most of the shouting/shoving match behavior because he has his own guys that get scrappy for him. In other words it's truly King like. He knows perception, he is aware when guys bait him. Remember when Dwight was the man and he'd take hard fouls and lose it from time to time, guys still go at Lebrun and he just ignores them. 

Sports allegiance aside there really isn't much to dislike about the guy, he's carried himself about as well as anyone could have asked for a fatherless teenager from the hood having fame and fortune thrown at his feet at the age of 18. He defies all logic when it comes to character. 

Lebron runs the refs... he doesn't need to fight. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 8:25 PM, bleachkit said:

Certain players are cast as "heroes", and certain ones are cast as "villains" and everything that happens is viewed through that prism.

Sounds like the WWE.

• Moderators

Can't complain too much on LeBron.  I'll ding him for two things primarily:  (1) the way he left Cleveland the first time which was just cruel to the people of Ohio and a huge ego move and (2) the entitlement he feels in wanting to pair up with a bunch of stars instead of building a team organically.  I don't single him out alone on the second point but it is there nonetheless.  I do think he has matured (as you would expect) over the years and does a lot less of the "make sure the camera is there for me to clap powder over myself pregame" sorts of moves designed to single him out for special attention.  At some point, I think he realized his play was good enough to single him out.

Other than that his major fault is that he isn't a Hawk.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

Can't complain too much on LeBron.  I'll ding him for two things primarily:  (1) the way he left Cleveland the first time which was just cruel to the people of Ohio and a huge ego move and (2) the entitlement he feels in wanting to pair up with a bunch of stars instead of building a team organically.  I don't single him out alone on the second point but it is there nonetheless.  I do think he has matured (as you would expect) over the years and does a lot less of the "make sure the camera is there for me to clap powder over myself pregame" sorts of moves designed to single him out for special attention.  At some point, I think he realized his play was good enough to single him out.

Other than that his major fault is that he isn't a Hawk.

Lebron is definitely passive aggressive.  The reason we know about Kyrie wanting out of Cleveland was Lebron.  Then he acted as if he was hurt by it.   Lebron does the same thing on the court.   At 260, he goes in and barrels over little guys and sometimes, he barrels over them, get up and flexes.  If they would have done it to him, it's an offensive foul, but because he's Lebron, he does it all game and gets the call if he's touched.   At this point in his career, you have guys running to get out of his way so that they won't get trucked and get a personal foul than guys who would stand in there to take the charge.  Ask yourself, who was the last person to successfully stand in and get a charge on Lebron.  My guess.   Probably Curry... that's because it requires star power to get that call. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kurupt said:

You heard it here first: LBJ can't play basketball Thanks Diesel 8)

And Kyrie Irving is a stupid Mofo. Watch him wreck the Celtics this season.

Diesel didn't say anything about LBJ not being able to play basketball.  Michael Jordan got unfair advantages when he played.  Didn't mean he wasn't an All-Time great.  It just means the NBA has a star system where big stars get unfair advantages - i.e., calls that the star gets that a rookie second rounder in the same situation would not get.

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Diesel didn't say anything about LBJ not being able to play basketball.  Michael Jordan got unfair advantages when he played.  Didn't mean he wasn't an All-Time great.  It just means the NBA has a star system where big stars get unfair advantages - i.e., calls that the star gets that a rookie second rounder in the same situation would not get.

And we know this, it's been apart of the game since Jordan as the NBA realized it's best to have the stars not in foul trouble and for them to appear superior in skill compared to everyone else on the floor.