• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who the hell are we supposedly tanking for?

Wurider05

I really don't follow college b-ball until March madness. So who in the hell are we supposed to be tanking for some 6'10 point forward who weighs 120 pounds and can't play a lick of D?  Bud will surely like that.  Golden State owe their success to Curry's bad ankles-those ankles kept them in the lottery and those ankles allowed Golden Stated to give him a below value contract. Its more luck than anything. Again I ask who the hell are we supposedly tanking for?

• Like 1

Well since you’re not following I can tell you that most around here likely will want Michael Porter Jr. ....the kid out of Mizzou being compared to Durant. He’s  6’10 with an actual nba frame that possesses great size and skill to be elite offensively at the nba level.

however Bagley from duke is actually number 1 on a lot of draft boards but I tend to think it’s only because of his age. He will be 18 when he’s drafted, somehow got to go to duke early (I didn’t read too much into why nor do I care).

....personally I want Michael Porter Jr just based on an offensive perspective. It’s been too many years the hawks haven’t had an true elite scorer and we need one bad to lead this team. We can’t be true contenders until we get an elite bonafide scorer in my opinion. And from what I’ve seen and read so far Porter Jr is hands down the top scorer in this draft. I don’t get wrapped up in college basketball too much but I can see Porter and Bagley having a smooth transition to the nba depending on what team drafts them. don't get me wrong if we draft Bagley that would be great too. We’d have two Bigs that can absolutely leap out of the gym but Bagley is still more of a traditional big man much like our rookie Collins, while the crazy athleticism around the goal would be nice to have I just don’t see how they can work together until they can spread the floor which is also intriguing.

last thing I will say is that Porter Jr. being a legitimate 6’10 at 19 years old blows me away...he very well could grow in the nba and become a 7 foot monster like a kd/Greek freak/ dirk type shit

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

Here ya go this is a great article...all in all we want either Porter or Bagley I would think (hopefully we get the number one overall pick):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2729575-2018-nba-draft-who-ya-got-marvin-bagley-or-michael-porter-jr-as-no-1-pick.amp.html

This is one of the best comparison articles I’ve read for these two.

8 minutes ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

The way the basketball world changes... My bet is there will be another person who jumps in as the #1 guy buy the end of March Madness lol

Possibly but I doubt it . Bagley is surrounded around very good talent at Duke. He’s likely going to have a beast season  in college and keep his number 1 spot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

I really don't follow college b-ball until March madness. So who in the hell are we supposed to be tanking for some 6'10 point forward who weighs 120 pounds and can't play a lick of D?  Bud will surely like that.  Golden State owe their success to Curry's bad ankles-those ankles kept them in the lottery and those ankles allowed Golden Stated to give him a below value contract. Its more luck than anything. Again I ask who the hell are we supposedly tanking for?

Insert the next overhyped, underdeveloped 18-19 year old prospect name, and that's who you are tanking to get.

Michael Porter is a 6'10" jump shooter who can't beat anyone off the dribble and doesn't defend, but he's the guy that everyone seems to foam at the mouth to get.  Think about spending the #1 pick on a guy who might be Rashard Lewis at his peak.  He's not another Kevin Durant.  

Marvin Bagley is the next hyped up guy, but he's a big that isn't that long and has no jump shot to speak of at this point.  

The true legit prospect in this draft is Luka Doncic, who has an elite all around skill level and has competed against grown up basketball players and hasn't been pampered by the AAU racket.

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

There is also a lot of buzz about Doncic, where he is playing extremely well in Europe. Professional European Basketball is a better than American College Basketball as a scouting metric. Better competition. Most D1 guys don't make it overseas.

It might have to be Doncic, as even better recent Hawks teams have been a special kind of stupid passing. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I would personally want Doncic, he's competing in the toughest Euro league and looked amazing in Euroleague tournament. He's got a great skill set for today's game with his shooting and passing.

Not that I wouldn't also be happy with Porter and Bagley...

• Like 1

Doncic don’t strike me as a potential superstar player like Porter and Bagley. I see a good player but his ceiling is no where near that of Porter or Bagley in my opinion even though he has faced tougher competition.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Insert the next overhyped, underdeveloped 18-19 year old prospect name, and that's who you are tanking to get.

Michael Porter is a 6'10" jump shooter who can't beat anyone off the dribble and doesn't defend, but he's the guy that everyone seems to foam at the mouth to get.  Think about spending the #1 pick on a guy who might be Rashard Lewis at his peak.  He's not another Kevin Durant.  

Marvin Bagley is the next hyped up guy, but he's a big that isn't that long and has no jump shot to speak of at this point.  

The true legit prospect in this draft is Luka Doncic, who has an elite all around skill level and has competed against grown up basketball players and hasn't been pampered by the AAU racket.

Hmmm maybe you’re right but I’d still roll with Porters height, length, shooting & scoring abilities and Bagley’s superior athleticism over Luka. Luka is good and I wouldn’t mind having him but I don’t see the elite all around skills you’re seeing.

13 minutes ago, Kimsey said:

I mean, can we let these dudes get a proper March Madness/full season showing before labeling them busts or stars.

The cream always rises.

Sure we can but regardless if their teams win or lose we aren’t going to base their draft position off of it. I’m sure all those top candidates are going to have impressive stat stuffing college seasons.

Unfortunately whether they win or not at the college level likely won’t change the top 5 too much unless a major injury occurs.

we have seen top draft picks have poor tournament games like Wiggins and Parker. Hell we’ve even seen players who were injured throughout the whole college season still get picked in the top 3 like kyrie and Embiid.

not harping on you but based on how things are in today’s nba drafts, it’s completely ok to me to talk and have your opinions about any player 

18 minutes ago, JTB said:

Hmmm maybe you’re right but I’d still roll with Porters height, length, shooting & scoring abilities and Bagley’s superior athleticism over Luka. Luka is good and I wouldn’t mind having him but I don’t see the elite all around skills you’re seeing.

I have no doubt Luka is going to be a good NBA player despite his questionable athleticism. I'm just not seeing a star player which is what this franchise desperately needs. 

If by the end of the college season, we end up with a class with no potential superstars, I'd be fine with Doncic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guard said:

I have no doubt Luka is going to be a good NBA player despite his questionable athleticism. I'm just not seeing a star player which is what this franchise desperately needs. 

If by the end of the college season, we end up with a class with no potential superstars, I'd be fine with Doncic. 

The same questions Luka has Curry had.  If Luka turns into an elite shooter he has enough skill to get to where he wants on the floor.  Also, he's 6-8 he's either a two guard or a three size wise with point guard ability.  He's plenty enough athletic for his size and as he works with NBA coaches his ability to get to where wants will improve. You can't teach the skill the guy has though. 

Edited by marco102

34 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The same questions Luka has Curry had.  If Luka turns into an elite shooter he has enough skill to get to where he wants on the floor.  Also, he's 6-8 he's either a two guard or a three size wise with point guard ability.  He's plenty enough athletic for his size and as he works with NBA coaches his ability to get to where wants will improve. You can't teach the skill the guy has though. 

IF he becomes an elite shooter he's the franchise cornerstone we've been begging for. That's a big if though. Even if he doesn't become "the guy" here, he's a pretty fair bet to be a big piece of the puzzle. I heard this said about Lonzo last year and I think it applies to Luka: he might not be the best bet to be the best player on a contender, but he's the best bet to be a piece of a contender. For now, he's still my favorite draft prospect, but it's super early and improvements from the American prospects in college could easily change that.

• Like 1