Official Game Thread: Cavaliers at Hawks

lethalweapon3

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

We did close it to one but....Schlenk wants it competitive and with a loss so his desire has been filled again tonight. Still a pretty valiant effort by us just the same.

The fans were entertained tonight.  Despite the loss, this wasn't a bad game to watch at all.  I do want them to get good enough the rest of the way, that we win close to 18 games at home.  Tank year or not, the fans don't deserve to watch a losing effort on the home floor for over 1/2 of the games.

• Like 2

Just now, Thomas said:

We did close it to one but....Schlenk wants it competitive and with a loss so his desire has been filled again tonight. Still a pretty valiant effort by us just the same.

Who was poopooing the Hawks with metrics this pre-season saying we’d only score in the 80s using those analytics? Mmmm hmmmm. Add ONE good player to this squad and we beat the Cavs tonight. And prolly those 75% of games this season we were either tied or led in the 4th. This team isn’t that far off. Back in the playoffs in 2019 I say... 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This Atlanta team executes on offense much better than last year but their limited. Adding a top 5 prospect in an extremely strong draft class is a win for us.  

Just now, hazer said:

Who was poopooing the Hawks with metrics this pre-season saying we’d only score in the 80s using those analytics? Mmmm hmmmm. Add ONE good player to this squad and we beat the Cavs tonight. And prolly those 75% of games this season we were either tied or led in the 4th. This team isn’t that far off. Back in the playoffs in 2019 I say... 

Posted this before I even read your post 

12 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Glad to say we had an Ersan sighting tonight. Welcome back cat, you are much needed.

THIS Ilyasovavichkovchev, yes.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hazer said:

Yep, I wouldn't say that's all we need but we are much closer to decent than we are to horrible. But we are bad right now. The NBA is better than ever. A lot of good guys in this league these days. 

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yep, I wouldn't say that's all we need but we are much closer to decent than we are to horrible. But we are bad right now. The NBA is better than ever. A lot of good guys in this league these days. 

Wasn’t saying it’s all we need to contend, but it’s all we need to be over .500. THEN I said we’re not that far off, was making 2 different points.

• Like 1

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The Limiter

Image result for bazemore

32 minutes

7 pts - 4 rebs - 6 asst - 2 stls  . . . . 5 TOs . . . ( -6 ) for the game.

As long as he starts, he will lead the tank to victory. That said, he's the only starter who can handle more responsibility than just an average bench player on this squad. You start asking guys to do more and their overall impact drops. Baze is steady but his ability to do before thinking is well, bad for our offense. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

. But we are bad right now. The NBA is better than ever. A lot of good guys in this league these days. 

And bad right now is great.

They aren't that close. The offense is fun, but the defense is bottom 3 in the NBA. They aren't dissimilar to the Nets teams over the last two years who can fill it up on offense but give it right back on defense.

Partly because our best scorers are also our worst defenders.

• Like 1

Just now, DBac said:

They aren't that close. The offense is fun, but the defense is bottom 3 in the NBA. They aren't dissimilar to the Nets teams over the last two years who can fill it up on offense but give it right back on defense.

Partly because our best scorers are also our worst defenders.

This is what I wanted. A competitive tank. I personally don't think we will be any good next year as well. 

• Premium Member

We will be better next year if the draft pick pans out and we get someone of consequence in FA. If we only get the draft pick right, which frankly is what I expect, then we'll be marginally better next season but the year after that should be the bounce back to the playoffs.

7 hours ago, hazer said:

Not losing Collins could have been enough to do so...

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure we'll be a lot better on the defensive end next year. 

More often than not effort is the issue. For example forgetting to close out on the weak side after the ball transfers all the way over.

I think Bud won't really call it out in this tanking season. Next year otoh he'll be way harsher with such easy errors