• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Dennis Want Out?

marco102

I kinda wanna see what Pierce can get out of him defensively.

His natural attributes (speed, athleticism, length) aren't being utilized on the defensive end. He could either work out or we could trade him for better value later. We can always trade him later if all we're hoping for is a late 1st at this point. The value is too low with the tank year clouding over him.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, warcore said:

I kinda wanna see what Pierce can get out of him defensively.

His natural attributes (speed, athleticism, length) aren't being utilized on the defensive end. He could either work out or we could trade him for better value later. We can always trade him later if all we're hoping for is a late 1st at this point. The value is too low with the tank year clouding over him.

I'd like to see that as well.  Defense and shooting are the two big things for Dennis this year.  If Schlenk and Pierce both want nothing to do with Dennis then no need to prolong the inevitable but if they see a path forward with him it would be nice to see if his defensive malaise could improve under Pierce.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

If Schlenk and Pierce both want nothing to do with Dennis

Why do posters continue to casually put this narrative out there...there has been no mention by Schlenk and certainly not by Pierce that Dennis isn't a part of the Hawks future. So can we cool it with this mistruth until there is evidence to support such a claim?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Afro said:

I just don't see how Dennis has much of a future with this team. Maybe if he continued to grow, but I'm not sure I really see that. 

Might look bad to the rest of his teammates if the front office gets rid him in the 2nd year of his deal after having a career year at the age of 24..just saying.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Might look bad to the rest of his teammates if the front office gets rid him in the 2nd year of his deal after having a career year at the age of 24..just saying.

If your career year is shooting 29% from range and playing terrible defense then maybe it isn't so inexplicable.  

I actually fully expect him to go to work with the new coaching staff and look to improve his play this year.  Just saying you can see why the off the court stuff combined with the weaknesses in his play today don't leave him untouchable.  (And why his trade value might be limited as well).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

If your career year is shooting 29% from range and playing terrible defense then maybe it isn't so inexplicable.  

I actually fully expect him to go to work with the new coaching staff and look to improve his play this year.  Just saying you can see why the off the court stuff combined with the weaknesses in his play today don't leave him untouchable.  (And why his trade value might be limited as well).

Draymond Green shoots 30% from 3 and he's a shining example of a floor spreader. Dennis has an off year shooting 3's because a tank year and he gets nothing but criticism...y'all are depressing to talk to to be honest

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Draymond Green shoots 30% from 3 and he's a shining example of a floor spreader. Dennis has an off year shooting 3's because a tank year and he gets nothing but criticism...y'all are depressing to talk to to be honest

Discounting Dennis's rookie year which was his worst shooting year (.410 eFG%), these are Dennis's yearly eFG% numbers:

14-15: 0.466 eFG%

15-16: 0.471 eFG%

16-17: 0.493 eFG%

17-18: 0.469 eFG%

So, he has essentially stayed in the 0.466 to 0.471 range relative to his eFG% throughout his career.  

The bottom line is, Dennis has NEVER been an efficient shooter.  Mike Budenholzer and Hawks University have milked every drop you will ever be able to get out of him.

• Like 1

Perhaps some of you discount what Pierce said he wants to do with Dennis.  He has no issue with how he gets to the rim.  He can do that with ease.  He said he wants to help him improve at shooting the 3. I think it can be done. To what degree...who knows.  If they don't believe in him, he will be traded.

Spend on all their key current guys, and the Bucks could be short of both cap space and trade assets. They already traded one future first-round pick for Bledsoe. (The Bucks and Hawks discussed a similar deal for Dennis Schröder before Bledsoe became available, according to several league sources.)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22272947/zach-lowe-milwaukee-bucks

Though Schröder is only 24, he’s not part of the Hawks’ long-term equation with his inconsistent, inefficient performance. However, any move involving Schröder is more likely to happen in the summer. As it stands, teams in need of a point guard may prefer to hold onto cap space for someone like Isaiah Thomas or Elfrid Payton or hope they can land Collin Sexton or Trae Young in the draft. But if they strike out, there will be more suitors in July than there are now. The Hawks are trying to reload for the next decade, and general manager Travis Schlenk will continue to reshape the roster to add fuel to their tank. The big question is whether coach Mike Budenholzer will want to stick around for a rebuild, especially after losing his front-office powers.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/29/16944074/nba-trade-deadline-primer

This isn't new or made up.

But I do think this is being read into a little much. Dennis doesn't really sugarcoat his goals for the NBA. Remeber when he laid down the ultimatum:

“My goal is to start as point guard” Schröder said. “If this doesn’t happen, I will look for other opportunities”

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/21/hawks-pg-dennis-schrder-says-he-wants-to-start-will-look-for-other-opportunities-if-he-doesnt/

He wants to be a star,champion etc. unfortunately doesn't seem like he channels that energy into defense or 3 point shooting.

Edited by DBac
  • Like 1

The ideal role for Dennis is the Jamal Crawford role... However, I don't see him accepting that role going forward, and I see him causing trouble over the next two years if he isn't dealt. He is already showing signs of being a headcase, and mostly likely he thinks he is better than he actually is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marco102 said:

What does this even mean?  KB21 does not speak with Dennis.  Did you read the article?  Yeah, he wants to know the future, but he also said he doesn't want to be second to last in the east anymore.  Like I will support Dennis as long as he's a Hawk, but he's no Kyrie and he has no leverage when it comes to requesting trades. 

It means some of us have been watching the NBA for over 30 years and have seen this show before.  The tank train is very hard to depart.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do posters continue to casually put this narrative out there...there has been no mention by Schlenk and certainly not by Pierce that Dennis isn't a part of the Hawks future. So can we cool it with this mistruth until there is evidence to support such a claim?

Just speculation...I don’t believe anyone is putting it Out there to be a fact. 

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I was already expecting Dennis to get traded during the draft or offseason. Now I fully expect him to be traded.

Yup i believe he will be traded too and I actually like Dennis.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Here we go....I think the convo went like this...

Lloyd: Welcome...sit down. Look you don’t play D I gotta get rid of you.

Dennis: Coo, but send me to Indy or Milwauk...

Lloyd: (Slams door)...

1 minute ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Lloyd does not strike me as a person who minces words. He will be correct with Dennis; and that includes items such as:

If you want to be elite, you need to be all in with us. You are great at getting into the paint; next step is becoming great at finishing and kicking. You need to work on your jump shot and turn overs.

Dennis whole problem is he thinks he is elite already. In Germany he is, in the NBA not close. He has some work to do to get there. Lloyd could be a great fit for him. If not, moving him will become a priority real soon.