• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Phenomenal Draft

EazyRoc

• Moderators
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

The next step being finding good fits, future assets for Dennis and Baze. There is some truth though that holding on to both until the trade deadline could up their value.

Not sure how Dennis can look good playing with Young.  That exposes both on D and there aren’t enough balls to go around.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure how Dennis can look good playing with Young.  That exposes both on D and there aren’t enough balls to go around.

The first thing on Youth's docket IMO is learning to play off the ball. He's got the shot, if he can work himself open off screens he's a weapon. Long term I don't like them together, but I wouldn't just dump Dennis unless he's a malcontent.

At this point we should be stockpiling as many future assets as we can get our hands on

54 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Schlenk once again shines were he’s strong (and blew it again where he sucks ie trades). We have added 3 very good 3 point shooters. One of which is the best passer in the draft, the other looks like an excellent offensive player at the 2, and a guy who will likely be a 5 in the NBA who is an NCAA champion and solid rebounder. 3 guys that can space the floor, put it on the floor, and 2 of which are good passers. These are the kind of guys offensively that help win games. They also fit well with what we already have and bolster our bench. I think Trae and Collins will be a killer combo on the PnR. Trae Young will make everyone around him better. This is the first step of us not being complete garbage anymore. Our rebuild just got shortened from 5 years to 3 IMO. What a draft. Go Hawks!

What are you talking about? Schlenk sucked dog d*ck for quarters. A franchise changer fell in his lap and he traded him away for a defensive liability with a lisp. He also had several opportunities for trades that he didn't take advantage of. What's the point of being 'flexible' if you're not going to 'flex'?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, warcore said:

What are you talking about? Schlenk sucked dog d*ck for quarters. A franchise changer fell in his lap and he traded him away for a defensive liability with a lisp. He also had several opportunities for trades that he didn't take advantage of. What's the point of being 'flexible' if you're not going to 'flex'?

I obviously disagree.

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

So JT, just to get this straight, you like Trae Young, huh?

Yup I wanted the hawks to go with a scorer in this draft and personally for me other than Ayton....Porter Jr and Trae Young were the best scorers to get.

I don’t believe you can truly build a contender without the alpha dog scorer and in my opinion we haven’t had a true alpha dog scorer since nique so here’s to hoping Trae changes that ASAP.

All the worry about defense is garbage to me. First off we’ve had some good defenses in those 10 years straight going to the playoffs under woody and Bud but never did we have the true Alpha dog scorer to really put us over the top and that’s no knock on Johnson or Sap as they’ve both had their good scoring games especially Millsap not so much Johnson in the playoffs but at the end of the day your star players have to be able to go get a damn bucket when you need it and those two were more so Robins than Batman’s.

It’s much much much tougher to get the star offensive player than it is to find good defenders.

Many may not agree with my logic that offense trumps defense in the nba but it’s true...one example is the Cavs ! Now I know LBJ is the best in the world but Lebrons defense numbers have steadily fallen greatly  the last 4 years and during the years he had Kyrie in Cleveland (speaking of Cleveland as whole their team defense has been awful since lebron returned...like 20 ranked defense or worse going into the playoffs bad) they knew no team in the east could ever out score them so they just dropped the points and didn’t worry about defense until they got to the warriors in the finals .

Point is if defense led teams to championships in the nba we’d be talking about zbo, tony Allen grizzlies and now the powerhouse defending Utah Jazz but the reality is if you can’t score at with the best of the best you aren’t going far in the playoffs.

Not saying you don’t need defense to win cause you do but I like the approach of building a good defense around the elite scorers. Traes defense is not going to be good ever probably  but Schlenk drafted him for his elite offensive skill set and we can put a good team defense around him like the warriors did with curry and like Larry Brown did with Iverson.

• Like 1

If we started with the 5th pick I'd be pumped about the draft. If Pierce can work his magic (defense) I like the idea of a young/huerter back court. And pairing Spellman with Collins seems like a nice fit.

However. Schlenk is a bitch for that trade. So eff him. Doncic / Huerter / Spellman and I'm pumped. Now I'm pissed about getting my #3 guy behind Doncic and Ayton. 

58 minutes ago, JTB said:

Yup I wanted the hawks to go with a scorer in this draft and personally for me other than Ayton....Porter Jr and Trae Young were the best scorers to get.

I don’t believe you can truly build a contender without the alpha dog scorer and in my opinion we haven’t had a true alpha dog scorer since nique so here’s to hoping Trae changes that ASAP.

All the worry about defense is garbage to me. First off we’ve had some good defenses in those 10 years straight going to the playoffs under woody and Bud but never did we have the true Alpha dog scorer to really put us over the top and that’s no knock on Johnson or Sap as they’ve both had their good scoring games especially Millsap not so much Johnson in the playoffs but at the end of the day your star players have to be able to go get a damn bucket when you need it and those two were more so Robins than Batman’s.

It’s much much much tougher to get the star offensive player than it is to find good defenders.

Many may not agree with my logic that offense trumps defense in the nba but it’s true...one example is the Cavs ! Now I know LBJ is the best in the world but Lebrons defense numbers have steadily fallen greatly  the last 4 years and during the years he had Kyrie in Cleveland (speaking of Cleveland as whole their team defense has been awful since lebron returned...like 20 ranked defense or worse going into the playoffs bad) they knew no team in the east could ever out score them so they just dropped the points and didn’t worry about defense until they got to the warriors in the finals .

Point is if defense led teams to championships in the nba we’d be talking about zbo, tony Allen grizzlies and now the powerhouse defending Utah Jazz but the reality is if you can’t score at with the best of the best you aren’t going far in the playoffs.

Not saying you don’t need defense to win cause you do but I like the approach of building a good defense around the elite scorers. Traes defense is not going to be good ever probably  but Schlenk drafted him for his elite offensive skill set and we can put a good team defense around him like the warriors did with curry and like Larry Brown did with Iverson.

Excellent post.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

JTB while we are in 100% agreement about having a number 1 alpha and it being the hardest piece to find for a championship team, the Warriors aren't being beat without defense. Unfortunately,  for us they are tops in offense and D. The Celtics and Sixers will be high in both too. 

I think if you keep the players we have there are a lot of good mix and match opportunities with the draft picks Baze, Bembry and Schröder. I like the ideas of rookie having to earn time,  and it's one of the things loved most about Bud. I like the idea of being able to pull Schröder when he's not playing D and put in Trae and vise versa. Trae cannot give defensive effort like he gave in college,  or he shouldn't see the floor. The competition for playing time just got real,  and the cream will rise to the top. Nothing should be given, and I hope these guy's came ready to compete. If I know Dennis like I know him, then I expect his best year as a pro because he's competitive as hell. 

I just like the fact that we may be looking at 2 lotto picks and possibly 3 draft picks next season. 

Im already excited to see how Trae expands JC and Prince’s games. Summer League itself is gonna be fun to watch.

• Like 1

I've heard it said, many times over the years, and perhaps it's true:

THE BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE

We musn't forget that all is over and we're ready to start the season.  Free agency and many trades still must take place in the NBA before the tip off.  One thing that will determine things in the east: Where will King James end up.  Will he remain or go west?

Hawks had Luka Doncic in their hands, then let him go.  If things go right, no big deal.  If things don't, this will fit right in with passing on that PG and the trade of Nique. 

Splash brothers east?  Maybe.  For now, we must wait and see.  As Hawk fans, we hope for the best and expect the worst.  At least, we now think, if we lose, it will be 120-116 and not 79-74...……

:laugh: