• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Young’s off ball movement will determine avg or star path

JTB

• Moderators

There has been a fair amount of Trae backlash for a year now.   Everyone wants to be the first to say "I told you he sucked" and hope people forget they said it if he's a star.   

Alabama acted like they won the tourny because Young only had  17/8 against them.   This is a college freshman.   

The bandwagon is going to get bigger because there are just so many people who never watched him play and don't realize that he's more than just a guy launching deep 3s.   He has NBA level PG skills at 19.   

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, AHF said:

Lots of people quickly flipped after the draft.  No one pick had the majority support.  Support quickly ramped up for the pick after the draft was over.

I agree with all of this. What I’m saying is that there were more people vocally against picking Trae than there were for picking Trae. However, what the dust settled most people (except a very loud minority) realized he’s what we got and gave him support because they’re Hawks fans. It took a week or so for most of those who didn’t like the pick to come around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Trae was the guy I wanted even at #3.  The fact we got another pick out of it is awesome.   Trae has a lot to learn.  He's barely out of high school.  But his skills are undeniable.   He'll get there and I think he'll get there quicker than people think.   

Trae was the guy I wanted too. 1b because I was high on Bagleys potential. It’s just like you say. There are maybe 1 or 2 guys every 10 years that have his playmaking ability and group that with his deep range, decent efficiency w/ high volume at deep range, and knack for getting to the foul line without sacrificing his body, you have a very very solid foundation for a 19 year old prospect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Trae was the guy I wanted even at #3.  The fact we got another pick out of it is awesome.   Trae has a lot to learn.  He's barely out of high school.  But his skills are undeniable.   He'll get there and I think he'll get there quicker than people think.   

It’s true we called Trae “Macdaddy’s guy” in the land where time stands still now that Brad is mia. Ps Brad was Wendell, I was Luka and @kg01 was Porter. Speaking of which..beef.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2790403-dino-radoncic-defends-luka-doncic-calls-michael-porter-jr-overrated

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Lots of people quickly flipped after the draft.  No one pick had the majority support.  Support quickly ramped up for the pick after the draft was over.

I agree and think the one pick that would have divided this board would have been JJJ. I view Bagley, Doncic, Trae, and Bamba as NBA can't miss starters with upside.

20 MPG JJJ just looked way to much like a Marvin Williams pick.

• Like 3

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree and think the one pick that would have divided this board would have been JJJ. I view Bagley, Doncic, Trae, and Bamba as NBA can't miss starters with upside.

20 MPG JJJ just looked way to much like a Marvin Williams pick.

Did you leave out Ayton on purpose?   

6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I think one thing to keep in mind and consider is that Steph was/is a SG. That was his position at Davidson, he was a dead eye shooter Korver-esque and lacked the b-ball skill to create his own shot. When he started to get NBA hype is when he dedicated himself to learning how to play PG becasue that would likely be his position in the pros.

Fast forward to the NBA, it was Mark Jackson who further developed his PG skills and finished rounding out his game. But Kerr comes in and switches Steph back to more of an off guard. Green has averaged more assists than Steph the past few seasons. Green is essentially the point forward which allows Steph to function as his natural SG position, move without the ball and find open looks versus being the primary ball handler and get double teamed.

What I’m getting at is that Steph really is a different case than Trae. Steph is so great off the ball becasue it’s his default position, he is a shooter first that learned how to be a PG. Shooting is his deadliest skill.

Trae can shoot yeah, but his deadliest skill is his play making. Schlenk wants Trae to learn off ball to help round out his game, but he is a PG by nature who happens to be able to score. Unless we have another player that can lead the offense on the floor with Trae it makes less since to take the ball out of his hands than it did with Steph who had a teammate that excelled in running the offense.

I think we will eventually get to the point that we start running him off screens hoping his gravity pulls 2 defenders his way, but for now he is the best playmaker on the team who will have to help give guys like Collins easier looks

Yeah I agree but at the same time and perhaps I’m reaching a bit (or a lot...lol) but seems to me that schlenk purposely drafted players that can all put the ball on the floor and make passes. Trae by far was our best passer we selected and honestly probably is already the best on the team but I’ve read that Huerter and Spellman too can both respectfully put the ball on the floor and make passes as well.

defenitely not trying to say Trae need to be able to move off ball like curry right away as it isn’t natural to him like it was for curry as you stated but it has to be learned if he’s going to be elite in my opinion vs just being an all star reserve.

no offense to those who fall in love with point guards that can pass well but they don’t win championships. Nash and cp3 are hall of fame talents and the best true point guard playmakers we’ve seen since the 2000 era and they can pass with the best of the best but TEAM assist will always triumph individual assist. 

I like that Traes favorite player is Nash and all but I hope he becomes Nash with major scoring ability on all phases of offense. He got to add some curry, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton off ball movement in his offense and still be the great playmaker he can be but I don’t believe he should start and run every play. He got to let others start plays and hard ass it off screens.

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The guy hasn't played 1 minute in the NBA and Y'all already know what he can't do. LOL!

You've got a mix of posts on this thread all falling in the two buckets of "he will become excellent off the ball" or "he has a lot of work to do and/or development to do in this area."  There is literally one post on this thread saying what he can't learn to do and that is Sothron who thinks he is a washout.  What "Y'all" are you talking about?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Yeah I agree but at the same time and perhaps I’m reaching a bit (or a lot...lol) but seems to me that schlenk purposely drafted players that can all put the ball on the floor and make passes. Trae by far was our best passer we selected and honestly probably is already the best on the team but I’ve read that Huerter and Spellman too can both respectfully put the ball on the floor and make passes as well.

defenitely not trying to say Trae need to be able to move off ball like curry right away as it isn’t natural to him like it was for curry as you stated but it has to be learned if he’s going to be elite in my opinion vs just being an all star reserve.

no offense to those who fall in love with point guards that can pass well but they don’t win championships. Nash and cp3 are hall of fame talents and the best true point guard playmakers we’ve seen since the 2000 era and they can pass with the best of the best but TEAM assist will always triumph individual assist. 

I like that Traes favorite player is Nash and all but I hope he becomes Nash with major scoring ability on all phases of offense. He got to add some curry, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton off ball movement in his offense and still be the great playmaker he can be but I don’t believe he should start and run every play. He got to let others start plays and hard ass it off screens.

True and for that reason I see why it’s important for him to take advantage of his shooting and run him off screens to get him open looks.

22 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The guy hasn't played 1 minute in the NBA and Y'all already know what he can't do. LOL!

Hey I mean true that’s why I said we truly don’t know if Trae is awesome off ball or not. He didn’t run off ball much at Oklahoma so I hope we are in for great surprise and perhaps he’s absolutely amazing at it! I’d love that personally....but on a side note I remember reading scouting reports saying Tatum couldn’t dribble or put the ball on the floor well and now no one would say that after his rookie campaign . Not that he’s iverson but he can control the ball a lot better than what the scouts were saying he could.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JTB said:

Hey I mean true that’s why I said we truly don’t know if Trae is awesome off ball or not. He didn’t run off ball much at Oklahoma so I hope we are in for great surprise and perhaps he’s absolutely amazing at it! I’d love that personally....but on a side note I remember reading scouting reports saying Tatum couldn’t dribble or put the ball on the floor well and now no one would say that after his rookie campaign . Not that he’s iverson but he can control the ball a lot better than what the scouts were saying he could.

Trae is a smart basketball person who comes from a basketball family So his BBIQ should not be an issue.  The 19 year old kid was doing what he was told to do in College by his coach but now things are different.  The Hawks system involves everyone playing off the ball even Dennis played off the ball at times even though he struggled with his 3 point shot.  Trae will be great as a spot up shooter

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 8/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, Peoriabird said:

The same point can be said the other way. He hasn't played one minute in the NBA and yall already know what he CAN do? LOL!

Young has a long way to go in his development. At this stage, I'd rather see him work on his NBA primary PG skills.  The off-ball stuff can come over the next few seasons. For now, let's just see if he can get to an above average NBA starter. I'm not saying he can't, but today we can comfortably say he has a lot of on the job learning to do. 

• Like 3