• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Young’s off ball movement will determine avg or star path

JTB

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Not only this, but he has to get better finishing in the lane. He struggled with his floater in summer league and will have to continue to adjust to NBA length and athleticism.

This is more of a concern than off the ball movement.  He need to figure out how to finish better around the rim.  Its not so much of him adjusting to the NBA because he wasn't good in college either.  He just needs to work on that aspect of his game more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This is more of a concern than off the ball movement.  He need to figure out how to finish better around the rim.  Its not so much of him adjusting to the NBA because he wasn't good in college either.  He just needs to work on that aspect of his game more.

I think if he gets one of the oddball or finishing down he'll be good. If both he'll be a star.

It is strange that there is discussion of whether he will be a "star" or "average" (no mention of "superstar." ) we tanked then traded down to get an "average" player?  Usually, people are saying not to put too much optimism on a player based on a good summer league performance, not being disappointed by a poor summer league performance.  This is the fruit of our big tank?? At least Schröder was fast. I was disappointed by Trae's mediocre speed. Someone please tell me we didn't lose all those games for an "average" player. Please. 

• Like 1

It takes a special set of traits to move great off-ball.  Outstanding conditioning, upper body toughness to withstand constant chips, and a willingness to run hard knowing you may not receive a pass.  

Many “superstar” players aren’t built for it and their coaches allow them to stand around looking ridiculous.  On the flip side, these are the same guys who get beat constantly off the ball on defense because they don’t value or understand the importance of off ball play as if they haven’t been watching the Spurs and Warriors (sans KD) pile up championships with off ball play as a staple.  Steph has actually fell off from the top guys overall but he still sets screens like a champ for a small guard up there with Lowry and Beverly. Trae can learn everything he needs to know from watching current film from Butler, Klay, and Redick.  Of course Threezus from his heyday.  Jason Tatum has an uncanny sense of when to space the floor or cut hard.  I was watching a replay of 59 year old Jason Terry from this season and he’s still an exemplary off ball team player on both ends.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hazer said:

One of the few? I think at least half this board loves the Trae pick. Me included.

Was on party wagon too remember I brought the homemade jerky?

Trae could get beat up early on but it’s all a learning process. How intelligent he is will determine his success. Let the game come to you. Game of instinct and skill and he has both.

ATL ? LETS GO!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hazer said:

One of the few? I think at least half this board loves the Trae pick. Me included.

They’ve came around because they are Hawks fans and want to see him do well. However, most people weren’t happy with the pick and didn’t want Trae leading up to the draft.

36 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

They’ve came around because they are Hawks fans and want to see him do well. However, most people weren’t happy with the pick and didn’t want Trae leading up to the draft.

Again, I wouldn’t say “most people.” Some? Yes. Many? Yes. Most? Naaaa.

9 hours ago, Watchman said:

It is strange that there is discussion of whether he will be a "star" or "average" (no mention of "superstar." ) we tanked then traded down to get an "average" player?  Usually, people are saying not to put too much optimism on a player based on a good summer league performance, not being disappointed by a poor summer league performance.  This is the fruit of our big tank?? At least Schröder was fast. I was disappointed by Trae's mediocre speed. Someone please tell me we didn't lose all those games for an "average" player. Please. 

I was reading an article a couple of nights ago that Neil Paine wrote discussion how a team is going to have to draft like the Warriors to be able to build a team that can beat the Warriors.  However, in that article, he cites data that shows NBA teams select the right player less than 30% of the time based on their 5 year VORP vs the expectation of that pick.  So, there is less than a 30% chance that Atlanta will even select the right player, and a much less chance that they are lucky enough to get someone that has a generational talent like Steph Curry. 

• Moderators

Trae was the guy I wanted even at #3.  The fact we got another pick out of it is awesome.   Trae has a lot to learn.  He's barely out of high school.  But his skills are undeniable.   He'll get there and I think he'll get there quicker than people think.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I was reading an article a couple of nights ago that Neil Paine wrote discussion how a team is going to have to draft like the Warriors to be able to build a team that can beat the Warriors.  However, in that article, he cites data that shows NBA teams select the right player less than 30% of the time based on their 5 year VORP vs the expectation of that pick.  So, there is less than a 30% chance that Atlanta will even select the right player, and a much less chance that they are lucky enough to get someone that has a generational talent like Steph Curry. 

Yes.  Everyone should, but many don't, believe this.  Less than 30% sounds right.  With all the first round picks every year, and more especially the lottery, why doesn't these teams jump to the front?  Duh! 

There is an old, wise, saying:  "Make your plan.  Work your plan."

In today's modern thinking, everyone expects "Instant" everything from instant grits to instant success in whatever they do.  We all want to eliminate the work.

Hawks, at least, seem to have a plan.  Now, they must work the plan.  We all hope that, in time, this plan will bear fruit.  Time may be our friend or our enemy because, as we do our work, in time, we will discover how everything works out.

GO ATL HAWKS !

PS:  Dream win again!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, benhillboy said:

It takes a special set of traits to move great off-ball.  Outstanding conditioning, upper body toughness to withstand constant chips, and a willingness to run hard knowing you may not receive a pass.  

Many “superstar” players aren’t built for it and their coaches allow them to stand around looking ridiculous.  On the flip side, these are the same guys who get beat constantly off the ball on defense because they don’t value or understand the importance of off ball play as if they haven’t been watching the Spurs and Warriors (sans KD) pile up championships with off ball play as a staple.  Steph has actually fell off from the top guys overall but he still sets screens like a champ for a small guard up there with Lowry and Beverly. Trae can learn everything he needs to know from watching current film from Butler, Klay, and Redick.  Of course Threezus from his heyday.  Jason Tatum has an uncanny sense of when to space the floor or cut hard.  I was watching a replay of 59 year old Jason Terry from this season and he’s still an exemplary off ball team player on both ends.

All of this. Trae conditioning has to tremendously improve 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Yes.  Everyone should, but many don't, believe this.  Less than 30% sounds right.  With all the first round picks every year, and more especially the lottery, why doesn't these teams jump to the front?  Duh! 

There is an old, wise, saying:  "Make your plan.  Work your plan."

In today's modern thinking, everyone expects "Instant" everything from instant grits to instant success in whatever they do.  We all want to eliminate the work.

Hawks, at least, seem to have a plan.  Now, they must work the plan.  We all hope that, in time, this plan will bear fruit.  Time may be our friend or our enemy because, as we do our work, in time, we will discover how everything works out.

GO ATL HAWKS !

PS:  Dream win again!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/to-beat-the-warriors-you-gotta-draft-like-the-warriors-good-luck-with-that/

Here is the article.  

But let’s say our theoretical team gets its hands on a collection of valuable draft picks. What are the odds that it will take the right player at each slot? According to my research, there’s about a 70 percent chance that a team won’t take the best player available with any given pick at or near the top of the draft. Of course, the haul is still usually decent even if a team doesn’t nail its pick perfectly — but at the same time, “decent” doesn’t really help build a Warriors-killer.

Despite those odds, plenty of teams manage to look smart in the draft every year. The Warriors themselves had a terrific series of drafts between 2009 and 2012, when they picked up Green, Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson in rapid succession. That group generated about 25 more points of VORP than they should have based on where they were picked, giving Golden State one of the shrewdest four-year stretches of drafts in the lottery era:

And before anyone actually thinks that because Travis comes from Golden State that the ability to draft that well will come with him:

But just as studies have found in other sports (most notably the NFL), there isn’t much consistent skill to making better-than-average picks in the NBA draft. The correlation between a team’s per-pick return on investment2 in one three-year period and the next is only 0.014 — a practically nonexistent relationship.3 Even the Warriors picked big-man bust Ekpe Udoh sixth overall in between the first rounds in which they snapped up Curry and Thompson.

There is no secret sauce.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Lots of people quickly flipped after the draft.  No one pick had the majority support.  Support quickly ramped up for the pick after the draft was over.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Watchman said:

We didn't. He isn't average. He'll be out of the NBA at the end of his rookie contract.