• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Uni's coming in 2020??

RedDawg#8

https://www.forbes.com/sites/demetriusbell/2019/06/19/atlanta-hawks-plan-on-having-new-uniforms-for-2020-21-nba-season/#7022cb4f2cbd

Atlanta Hawks Plan On Having New Uniforms For 2020-21 NBA Season

Brooklyn Nets v Atlanta Hawks

A uniform change appears to be on the way for the Atlanta Hawks. (Photo by Scott Cunningham/NBAE via Getty Images)

NBAE/GETTY IMAGES

When the Atlanta Hawks unveiled their new identity ahead of the 2015-16 season, the reaction to the uniforms was polarizing. While the team was universally praised for updating the classic "Pac-Man" hawk logo for the current era, the uniforms and the choice of using "Georgia Granite Gray" and "Volt Green" were a bit controversial. Those were definitely unique and trendy color choices, but they were also close enough to the team's traditional color scheme of red, black and gold that it had fans of their old school identity longing for them to just switch back to the old colors.

While there's no guarantee that a color change could happen in the near future, we now know that there will be a uniform change. Atlanta Hawks owner Tony Ressler recently made an appearance on a local radio station, which is where he informed 92.9 The Game that the Hawks are indeed going to have new uniforms for the 2020-21 season.

Hawks owner Tony Ressler on 92.9 FM said that he wasn't fully in tune with uniform situation but added, "The year after. I think it was not this season but next season that we get new uniforms."

If and when the Hawks get new uniforms, it'll mark the end of what's been a bit of an experiment for the Hawks when it came to their uniforms. Indeed, their unveiling back in 2015 was an example of what happens when you decide to fully eschew a traditional uniform look in favor of a look that was emphatically modern. The only thing that you could call "traditional" about Atlanta's visual identity was their primary logo. Otherwise, the uniforms were unique in that they each had sublimated triangle patterns on the jerseys, an asymmetrical design on the shorts and a color scheme that was unlike anything that had been seen in the NBA so far.

Atlanta Hawks v Charlotte Hornets

It was a polarizing look and it was one that was going to either blaze a trail when it came to NBA uniforms and stand the test of time, or it would end up going under mothballs relatively quickly. The best example of a modern uniform that has somehow withstood the test of time is what the Dallas Mavericks have been wearing since the 2001-02 season. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Clippers got rid of the uniforms that they initially wore after their ill-fated redesign ahead of the 2015-16 season. It was so bad that the uniforms only lasted two seasons before they went back to the drawing board under the Nike umbrella.

Los Angeles Clippers v Golden State Warriors

Remember these uniforms that the Clippers wore? It's understandable if you chose to forget. (Photo by Garrett Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)

NBAE/GETTY IMAGES

Meanwhile, it will have taken the Atlanta Hawks five seasons of wearing their current uniforms before deciding to go in a different direction. Additionally, we might have an idea of what's to come when it comes to the colors. If you have been keeping an eye on what the Hawks' G-League affiliate and NBA 2K League teams have looked like from a visual standpoint, you'll see a theme. Both the College Park Skyhawks and Hawks Talon GC have gold in their color schemes, and the Skyhawks have black in theirs as well. Will the Hawks take this opportunity to unite all of their color schemes by bringing the NBA team back to their red-black-and-gold roots?

Hawks shorts

This Hawks logo may be a thing of the past, but will they return to the traditional color scheme? (Photo by Rocky Widner/NBAE via Getty Images) 

NBAE/GETTY IMAGES

Either way, fans of the Hawks should get ready for another uniform change, even if the current look is relatively new and some of the fans with more traditional tastes are finally starting to get used to it. The current look will have its place in Hawks uniform history but at the same time, it'll be known as a brief period of change instead of an identity that hung around for a long time.

Personally, I love the style of our Uniforms, the font, the asymmetry, etc..

I just don't love the colors. I also hate that we continue to think we have to have 3 colors. Red is our calling card, I wish we just stuck with Red and White while using the exact same style template from the current uni's. Gold, Silver or Black could then be used as accents for different versions.

The PAC is everything and should never leave again. 

The triangles look great in the white and red based jerseys.ive always hated the granite grey, it looked ashy and dead. Jet black would look way better 

The Hawks would basically had to have put in a bid to change the new pac logo the day it was unveiled and it still wouldn't have been changed by 2020.  The NBA are sticklers for maintaining the licensing or intellectual rights whatever of their logos, jerseys you can change almost at whim though.

22 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Personally, I love the style of our Uniforms, the font, the asymmetry, etc..

I just don't love the colors. I also hate that we continue to think we have to have 3 colors. Red is our calling card, I wish we just stuck with Red and White while using the exact same style template from the current uni's. Gold, Silver or Black could then be used as accents for different versions.

The kids definitely love the new jerseys.  I've bought 3 of the new style over the years, and they've received good comments every time I wear them.   I like what they did with the white unis, by going to all red lettering and numbering.  The volt numbering on the white uniforms just threw it off, and was hard to read.

I'd love to see a concept with the current color scheme, with the retro 80s design.  And if we're going to keep the volt color, we need a predominately volt jersey, much like what Minnesota wore at times last season.

Image result for minnesota timberwolves jersey green

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The kids definitely love the new jerseys.  I've bought 3 of the new style over the years, and they've received good comments every time I wear them.   I like what they did with the white unis, by going to all red lettering and numbering.  The volt numbering on the white uniforms just threw it off, and was hard to read.

I'd love to see a concept with the current color scheme, with the retro 80s design.  And if we're going to keep the volt color, we need a predominately volt jersey, much like what Minnesota wore at times last season.

Image result for minnesota timberwolves jersey green

That's green, not volt.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's green, not volt.

That's a lime green "volt" . . lol.

Baylor's uniforms were polarizing.  Either you liked them or hated them.  

Image result for baylor basketball uniforms

Give me an 80s Hawks style jersey in the Volt and Granite Gray color scheme, with red striping around the neck and arms, and I could go for that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You know whose uniform this is without even seeing anything but a pattern...

2019-06-21_2226.png

I like that.

And so, I like it here, too. I think it's one of the best things our uni has going for it.

2019-06-21_2221.png

I don't mind an update of some kind, but I really think the color combination, the font, and the background are absolutely requisite permanent ingredients in creating our own admired brand that, over many years and decades, becomes as iconic as the NY Yankees.