• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Resign Dedmon

Jdawgflow

On 6/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, Atlantaholic said:

Ded was the only big man that played any defense last year. We need another C until Bruno Fernando is ready to take over. 

I dont know how many time I need to say it, the metrics say we were better last year when Len was on the floor.

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2019 at 5:32 PM, gurpilo said:

I would use half of that money to sign Christian Wood, he is a hounger player capable of playing defense and a very good fit with this team, he would be a terrific addition as was Len last year

I would do this also if we miss out on Dedmon.  Christian showed enough last year to be a back up Center

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No details. Just that we want to add a vet center and Dedmon is at the top of our list in the short term. 

From what I am hearing, Fernando doesn't sound like a short term option at the 5. 

Really! Is this because they see him more as a project or do they suddenly believe he can’t fit?

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Elaborate!

Yes....please!

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Short term no, long term probably. They play heavy zone there where the center plays center field. He's going to take quite a bit of time to get a feel.

Maybe his defensive awareness isn’t as good as I thought but I think Fernando could do the job.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

From what I am hearing, Fernando doesn't sound like a short term option at the 5. 

This is confusing!:doh:

32 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I would do this also if we miss out on Dedmon.  Christian showed enough last year to be a back up Center

Christian Wood is signed to a contract by NOP.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

The projection is that Dedmon will receive $6-8 million. So what's the hesitation by the Hawks?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27076926/projecting-starting-salary-every-nba-free-agent

Centers

Player Team Age FA Type Starting salary
Al Horford BOS 33 All-Star $25-30 million
Nikola Vucevic ORL 28 All-Star $25-30 million
Jonas Valanciunas MEM 27 Starter $14-16 million
DeMarcus Cousins GSW 28 Starter $10-12 million
Brook Lopez MIL 31 Starter $10-12 million
Willie Cauley-Stein (restricted) SAC 25 Starter $10-12 million
Thomas Bryant (restricted) WAS 21 Starter $8-10 million
Enes Kanter POR 27 Starter $8-10 million
Dewayne Dedmon ATL 29 Key reserve $6-8 million
Ivica Zubac (restricted) LAC 22 Key reserve $6-8 million
DeAndre Jordan NYK 30 Key reserve $6-8 million
Khem Birch (restricted) ORL 26 Key reserve $6-8 million
Boban Marjanovic PHI 30 Key reserve $6-8 million
Richaun Holmes PHX 25 Key reserve $6-8 million
Kyle O'Quinn IND 29 Key reserve $4-6 million
JaVale McGee LAL 31 Key reserve $4-6 million
Robin Lopez CHI 31 Key reserve $4-6 million
Daniel Theis (restricted) BOS 27 Key reserve $4-6 million

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The projection is that Dedmon will receive $6-8 million. So what's the hesitation by the Hawks?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27076926/projecting-starting-salary-every-nba-free-agent

Centers

Player Team Age FA Type Starting salary
Al Horford BOS 33 All-Star $25-30 million
Nikola Vucevic ORL 28 All-Star $25-30 million
Jonas Valanciunas MEM 27 Starter $14-16 million
DeMarcus Cousins GSW 28 Starter $10-12 million
Brook Lopez MIL 31 Starter $10-12 million
Willie Cauley-Stein (restricted) SAC 25 Starter $10-12 million
Thomas Bryant (restricted) WAS 21 Starter $8-10 million
Enes Kanter POR 27 Starter $8-10 million
Dewayne Dedmon ATL 29 Key reserve $6-8 million
Ivica Zubac (restricted) LAC 22 Key reserve $6-8 million
DeAndre Jordan NYK 30 Key reserve $6-8 million
Khem Birch (restricted) ORL 26 Key reserve $6-8 million
Boban Marjanovic PHI 30 Key reserve $6-8 million
Richaun Holmes PHX 25 Key reserve $6-8 million
Kyle O'Quinn IND 29 Key reserve $4-6 million
JaVale McGee LAL 31 Key reserve $4-6 million
Robin Lopez CHI 31 Key reserve $4-6 million
Daniel Theis (restricted) BOS 27 Key reserve $4-6 million

According to supes sources there is an offer on the table already from the hawks.

i don’t think there’s any holdup I think Dedmon has plenty of teams looking for his services so he has options. He knows he can come back to Atlanta easily.

the interesting part that supes said is there’s a 3-4 year deal by us. I think that part is hard to believe cause I’ve seen that the hawks are only willing to bring him back for 1 year initially 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JTB said:

the interesting part that supes said is there’s a 3-4 year deal by us. I think that part is hard to believe cause I’ve seen that the hawks are only willing to bring him back for 1 year initially 

Why?  Can't you just trade him while acquiring more assets if you find your center next year?  So why limit the number of years to 1? I don't understand the hesitation

• Moderators

Supes said it would take a 3-4 year deal to get him and that we had made a nice short term offer — not that we had made a long term offer.

Not sure what is confusing about the team reportedly thinking Fernando is going to need time.  While I’m rooting for him to show big, centers who GMs believe are ready to step right in to the rotation generally don’t drop to the second round.  Few second round picks are ready on day 1.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure what is confusing about the team reportedly thinking Fernando is going to need time. 

Just sounded funny since the rest of the sentence was not included like "We still believe in his talent but it would take time for him to develop" rather than say than just say He isn't the short term answer.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Supes said it would take a 3-4 year deal to get him and that we had made a nice short term offer — not that we had made a long term offer.

Why not give him a 3 year $24 million contract? Team option

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Maybe his defensive awareness isn’t as good as I thought but I think Fernando could do the job.

It'll just take time to readjust his instincts. College teams play zones....the more zone they play the longer it takes for 1's and 5's to adjust and the better Iso players look when they get to the pro's.  The zone kills iso which is why all of a sudden Jordan went from 17 a game in college to world beater...Joe Johnson went from 16 per game to world beater and why RJ Barrett is going to be amazing.....way less hands whacking away at dribble drives. Strong guards that bully their way in.  For point guards, the angles are all different and that takes time (see first 20 games for Trae).  For Centers, there is no camping the lane, need a foot outside of it and need to stay with your man...that creates a lane. In college, centers start middle and move one way or the other to cover the drive.  In the pro's, they start outside the lane and need the mobility get across the lane to stop penetration on the other side...leaving their man and then bam, the dish for the slam.  It takes time to get the timing and instincts right. Also takes foot speed.  It is the one, major flaw in Alex Len's game. He can't get from one side of the lane to the other.  See every time someone got a lay up on him last year and its him being late to cover because he's slow.

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure what is confusing about the team reportedly thinking Fernando is going to need time.  While I’m rooting for him to show big, centers who GMs believe are ready to step right in to the rotation generally don’t drop to the second round.  Few second round picks are ready on day 1.

With the caveat that this draft class was particularly notable for how many players that were projected in the #10-#25 range at some point in the month leading up to draft night, ended up in the #25-#45 range... and vice-versa.... just a lot of differences of opinion out there, so it depends on who's doing the talking. Clearly, the Colonel was one who was high on him, but how high is yet to be understood since he can't really comment until 7/6.