• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Karl Anthony Towns availability rumor actually has legs

NBASupes

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yup.  Somebody's gonna gut their team like the Knicks did for sMelo.  Then we'll all start to realize Kitty's not a winning player.

Now I gotta log out.  I'm pretty sure saphron just hurled one-a his pennyloafers at me.

I mean.....do we really know JC is a "winning" player? And besides, giving up JC, Kev, and Cam plus expiring contracts isn't exactly "gutting" the team when they keep their 2020 top 5 pick and most of their cap space. You'd have Trae, KAT, Hunter, and 2020 pick as the new core plus have the ability to build off that. Sure, it would be better to have Trae, KAT, and JC but that ain't happening. And really, the former probably isn't happening either, but it's fun to dream. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

From Bleacher Report:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869094-trade-packages-and-landing-spots-for-timberwolves-star-karl-anthony-towns

Timberwolves Receive: PF John Collins, SF Cam Reddish, SG Kevin Huerter, SG Allen Crabbe, 2020 first-round pick (lottery-protected via Brooklyn Nets), 2022 1st-round pick (lottery-protected via Oklahoma City Thunder)

Hawks Receive: C Karl-Anthony Towns

When trying to get a player like Towns, only franchise point guard Trae Young should be off the table for Atlanta.

The Hawks have one of the best young cores and draft-pick compilations in the NBA despite owning the league's worst record at 7-27, and they could become a serious playoff threat in the East next season. Pairing Young and Towns would be a dream scenario, especially if they couldkeep 2019 No. 4 overall pick De'Andre Hunter between them. 

Of course, this would mean gutting the rest of the young core, including Collins (18.3 points, 9.9 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, 36.8 percent from three), Reddish (8.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.0 steals) and Huerter (9.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 34.8 percent from three). All are between 20 and 22 years old and would give Minnesota a terrific young core alongside Andrew Wiggins and Jarrett Culver.

Crabbe carries an expiring $18.5 million salary, and two first-round picks (including one from Brooklyn that should convey near the middle of this summer's draft) would help the Timberwolves add even more young talent.

The Hawks would get to keep all their own picks while maintaining max cap space this summer. Atlanta should already be an attractive destination simply for the chance to play with Young, and adding Towns for recruiting efforts should help seal some deals.

The two young stars could play together as some of the NBA's top players for the next decade.

Love it! I know @NBASupes would be fully against this but I’d do it in a heartbeat! As long as we keep either cam or hunter it’s deal for me.

get KAT here and keep flexible cap space !!!! Shiiiiitttt Schlenk could then actually attract some free agents with Trae and KAT

• Like 3

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yup.  Somebody's gonna gut their team like the Knicks did for sMelo.  Then we'll all start to realize Kitty's not a winning player.

Now I gotta log out.  I'm pretty sure saphron just hurled one-a his pennyloafers at me.

You know you are wrong and just trolling. You sound like that old guy that used to be on First Take taking shots at Lebron just because he knew it would get a reacton.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurpilo said:

I am fine giving Collins, Huerter and BKN pick for KaT. I would like to keep Reddish if possible. Anyway a core of Young, Hunter and KaT and a top 5 pick looks like a good starting point. Tons of cap space would help to round the team.

It would be a dream come true!

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You know you are wrong and just trolling. You sound like that old guy that used to be on First Take taking shots at Lebron just because he knew it would get a reacton.

I've never watched First Take but I know enough about it to know my proper response would be stte, "Oh now we sayin' Karl Anthony Towns is as good as Lebron!?"

Anyway, yes I'm messin' with you a little bit.  But I truly don't like Towns as a player.

The quotes from him since Thibs firing (which, I'm not a Thibs fan and I thought they were wrong for not retaining Sam Mitchell so this isn't some weird ax grinding) really really soured Towns on me.

• Like 2

You want to keep Collins & Trae and do whatever it takes outside of that to get KAT. Picks, young players, etc. Having a core of Trae, Collins, and KAT with FAcy around the corner will open a lot of eyes around the league. 

Do they accept an offer not having Collins in it? Probably not but I think it's stil one of the better offers that can be offered to them if he truly wants out. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AHawks89 said:

You want to keep Collins & Trae and do whatever it takes outside of that to get KAT. Picks, young players, etc. Having a core of Trae, Collins, and KAT with FAcy around the corner will open a lot of eyes around the league. 

Do they accept an offer not having Collins in it? Probably not but I think it's stil one of the better offers that can be offered to them if he truly wants out. 

Ehhh...I understand the Collins love! He’s a good player but between him and KAT with both offering little to no defense overall and both only really impacting offense you just got to let JC go. JC ain’t touching KAT on the offensive end.

i think it’s more possible to keep hunter and reddish . But any deal would almost certainly HAVE to include Collins and our two first rd picks and probably a player like huerter.

I don’t normally roll strong with rumors but this one makes sense shall the T Wolves decide to really trade KAT.

It likely won’t happen until after the draft but if the hawks really wanted to get involved they could easily be a strong trade partner...giving the T wolves Collins to pair with Wiggins and Culver along with our likely top 10 draft pick and their own likely top 10 draft pick plus the Nets pick we own is an insane start to a rebuild.

we can even take back one more additional bad contract from them not named Wiggins as long as it’s only 2 years left on that players contract.

the real question has to be this for Schlenk....is a tandem of Trae and KAT really worth it all? 

19 minutes ago, AHawks89 said:

I totally agree if we had the 3 of them our defense would be absolutely terrible. I'm not BIG on KAT like some others are on here hence why I wouldn't trade Collins AND our future picks, young players, etc for him. 

Makes sense I’m not even mad ...I think that’s why some aren’t all over this.

but it’s so rare Atlanta get two juggernauts on offense that’s why I’d go for it if I’m Schlenk. However  I do agree about the defense it’d be a lot of work just like it is now.

i think what intrigues me about adding KAT over Collins is the fact that KAT wouldn’t have to be dependent on Trae to get buckets like Collins is. Some times JC will “have himself a night” and be playing out if his mind offensively but on most nights Collins need his teammates to find him to get his buckets at the goal and away from it. Nothing is wrong with that by the way....JC is excellent at moving and finishing PERIOD no matter if it’s a dunk or a jump shot JC is just flat out consistent if he gets decent looks.

KAT on the other hand is a superstar offensive player that can do both on and off ball. I don’t think he moves better than JC off ball but he offers way more with the ball in his hands though  and he don’t really need any help getting a bucket similar to most stars including trae in a way...it would be nice for once to have not just one but two go to guys you can give the ball to and just say “hey go get us a basket” during those times the team is struggling to make shots or plays are just constantly breaking down or if we need a little momentum to get it rolling.

thats what KAT offers over JC other than better 3pt shooting as well.

I also believe adding towns would bring the best out of LP who’s more known to be defensive minded. If I’m Schlenk here’s your challenge! Make KAT at least respectable on the defensive end and really start to focus on the defense of the team cause with trae and kat the offense will take care of itself and we may be able to even add a 3rd offensive weapon via free agency 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Makes sense I’m not even mad ...I think that’s why some aren’t all over this.

but it’s so rare Atlanta get two juggernauts on offense that’s why I’d go for it if I’m Schlenk. However  I do agree about the defense it’d be a lot of work just like it is now.

i think what intrigues me about adding KAT over Collins is the fact that KAT wouldn’t have to be dependent on Trae to get buckets like Collins is. Some times JC will “have himself a night” and be playing out if his mind offensively but on most nights Collins need his teammates to find him to get his buckets at the goal and away from it. Nothing is wrong with that by the way....JC is excellent at moving and finishing PERIOD no matter if it’s a dunk or a jump shot JC is just flat out consistent if he gets decent looks.

KAT on the other hand is a superstar offensive player that can do both on and off ball. I don’t think he moves better than JC off ball but he offers way more with the ball in his hands though  and he don’t really need any help getting a bucket similar to most stars including trae in a way...it would be nice for once to have not just one but two go to guys you can give the ball to and just say “hey go get us a basket” during those times the team is struggling to make shots or plays are just constantly breaking down or if we need a little momentum to get it rolling.

thats what KAT offers over JC other than better 3pt shooting as well.

That's the rub, KAT is that offensive weapon that can take pressure off of Trae on any given night. Opposite to JC who still has to rely on his teammates to get him most of his points. I love Collins, but would ship him to Minny along with Cam, Huerter and 2 first round picks for KAT.

• Like 3

Wait a minute.  I say, no deal.  KAT is not THAT good.  If he is, why isn't his team higher in the standings?  Some want to sell the farm to buy a city lot.  I say, no - no - no!  If they want some huge, expiring  contract, some future 1st round picks and a bench player, then OK.  

Hawks have time and effort spent on our young players who make up our future roster.  Don't sell it out right now.  Price is much too high.  

:stirthepot:

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think KAT and collins together is pretty strong.   I'd be willing to give up Hunter and firsts.  Not sure that gets it done but i'm not giving up both huerter, cam AND Collins.  that's crazy.  Hell i'm not giving up 2 of those 3 for KAT plus multiple picks. 

OKC can give MIN of the best packages, if hawks want KAT they would have to give up a ton which I am fine with. Trae and KAT give us 2 strong all star talents that we can build around with.

Huerter is just an OK player, I don't seem being a legit starter for a playoff team so BYE. 

As someone brought up before, he has 4 years remaining on contract which makes it even more expensive to trade for,  way more so than Anthony Davis was with only 1 year left on his contract.

Edited by BudBall

This is actually the only case I'd consider giving up Collins for, in me saying that I'd keep him in theoretical trades, I didn't assume that KAT would want out and is signed to a deal for the next 4 years. It'd be a tough choice, but if it was the pushover, I would go with trading Collins.

If you can get KAT for Collins, maybe Huerter, and a pick or two I think you have to do it. 

I don't think you can run a KAT, Collins, AND Young lineup realistically on defense, which is part of this. Think you'd realistically need to go for a guy that's a better defender at PF, and you'd need wings that can defend well (which are on the team, but we need to see how they go developmental wise).

Edited by Lurker

During the ATL vs. Minn. home game this year the hawks television guy, not Dominique mentioned how  he talked to KAT. He said KAT mentioned liking this area and he remembered coming here during some summers with his grandfather and family who lived in this area. Go back and check it out, no lie. I love John Collins but if he has to go to get KAT it's a no brainer. Collins, Brooklyn's 1st, OKC's 1st, and 2 future 1sts, and Minnesota's preferred choice of an expiring contract of Crabbe, Turner, or Parsons. I'm not giving up Huerter and Hunter. Probably not Cam neither. I really love what Travis is doing. ATL forever. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRW said:

During the ATL vs. Minn. home game this year the hawks television guy, not Dominique mentioned how  he talked to KAT. He said KAT mentioned liking this area and he remembered coming here during some summers with his grandfather and family who lived in this area. Go back and check it out, no lie. I love John Collins but if he has to go to get KAT it's a no brainer. Collins, Brooklyn's 1st, OKC's 1st, and 2 future 1sts, and Minnesota's preferred choice of an expiring contract of Crabbe, Turner, or Parsons. I'm not giving up Huerter and Hunter. Probably not Cam neither. I really love what Travis is doing. ATL forever. 

You give up whatever it takes, within reason, to get a top 10 talent like KAT.  If 2 of the 3 ( Hunter, Huerter, Cam ) has to go to get KAT, so be it.

I'd give them

• Collins
  • Huerter
  • Reddish
  • 1st rd pick ( 2020 )
  • 1st rd pick ( 2023 )

If they wanted a 2025 pick, I'd probably give them that too.

When you're going after the "pretty girl", you shoot your best shot possible.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I mean.....do we really know JC is a "winning" player? And besides, giving up JC, Kev, and Cam plus expiring contracts isn't exactly "gutting" the team when they keep their 2020 top 5 pick and most of their cap space. You'd have Trae, KAT, Hunter, and 2020 pick as the new core plus have the ability to build off that. Sure, it would be better to have Trae, KAT, and JC but that ain't happening. And really, the former probably isn't happening either, but it's fun to dream. 

True, we don't know for sure that JC is a "winning" player.  However, KAT has certainly never proven to be a "winning" player either.  We'd be giving up more than we'd get back for sure.  KAT, like Collins has never been able to carry a team anywhere.  Production-wise, KAT is not that far above JC.  Besides, I doubt KAT would want to go from a semi-decent team in MIN for a team with one other star and and a bunch of scrubs in ATL, that mortgaged their future to get him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

True, we don't know for sure that JC is a "winning" player.  However, KAT has certainly never proven to be a "winning" player either.  We'd be giving up more than we'd get back for sure.  KAT, like Collins has never been able to carry a team anywhereProduction-wise, KAT is not that far above JC.  Besides, I doubt KAT would want to go from a semi-decent team in MIN for a team with one other star and and a bunch of scrubs in ATL, that mortgaged their future to get him.

Several issues with this take.

1.  Would we really be giving up more than we get back? The hypothetical deal is JC, Kev, and Cam plus 2 lotto protected picks. Of that haul, only JC is anywhere close to a proven player in the NBA. And he's not nearly as dynamic or elite at KAT. 
  2. KAT also hasn't ever had a PG like Trae to play with. In year 2, Trae is already a top 3 PG in the NBA. He's only getting better. 
  3. I respectfully disagree that KAT isn't that far above JC.  KAT is a career 22 / 12 guy. Outside of his rookie year, he's basically been a 25 / 12 with 1.5 blocks. This year, he's shooting 51%+ from FG and 41%+ from 3PT and he's a 83% FT shooter. He's avg 26.5 pts / 11.7 reb / 4.4 ast.  JC has NEVER approached any of those numbers in the NBA. 
  4. That's kinda the point of the hypothetical deal. ATL wouldn't be mortgaging the future at all. They'd still have Trae, KAT, Hunter, and their likely Top 5 (maybe Top 2) 2020 pick (think Anthony Edwards). Not to mention trading for KAT would not hurt the cap in any major way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1