• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

[Winter 2020] Woj Rumor: Drummmmmnd to ATL talks happening

kg01

I can’t see Travis making a move for a player that can potentially move the needle for the team this year.  Now, I’m not certain that Drummond would have been that guy, but he would have been a definite improvement over what the Hawks have at that position currently.  It’s very clear though that Travis is not very willing to give up what he considers to be his young core, and he isn’t going to give up their 2020 first round pick.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I can’t see Travis making a move for a player that can potentially move the needle for the team this year.  Now, I’m not certain that Drummond would have been that guy, but he would have been a definite improvement over what the Hawks have at that position currently.  It’s very clear though that Travis is not very willing to give up what he considers to be his young core, and he isn’t going to give up their 2020 first round pick.  

Yeah I don’t think it’s just that he won’t give up any young core but I also just don’t believe he feels like Drummond is a fit with how they want to run the offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Welcome back KB21.

No one from the core needs to be moved for anyone less than KAT or similar.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll be talking to Drummond this summer if we think the fit is there but that if we think he is too expensive that not many people on this site will be crying when they see his next contract.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll be talking to Drummond this summer if we think the fit is there but that if we think he is too expensive that not many people on this site will be crying when they see his next contract.

I think part of it will depend on our draft, but if we end up having to fill the C spot with a free agent, I wouldn't mind Drummond or Whiteside if we can get them for a reasonable sum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

It’s ova!!! (Cut throat gesture) 🥳 

Wait, what's ovah?

26 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I think part of it will depend on our draft, but if we end up having to fill the C spot with a free agent, I wouldn't mind Drummond or Whiteside if we can get them for a reasonable sum. 

Wondering if I'd rather take a shot on *gag* Cousins.

Gah, did I say that out loud?  I should be banned.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JTB said:

Yeah I don’t think it’s just that he won’t give up any young core but I also just don’t believe he feels like Drummond is a fit with how they want to run the offense.

He had some pretty good talks with them, so he thought something.  I don't think he wanted to give up a 1st for the short term.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Even if we draft a young promising C, I think we have to add a free agent or trade acquisition that is ready to play for next year.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Even if we draft a young promising C, I think we have to add a free agent or trade acquisition that is ready to play for next year.

If we draft a Center with our first pick I would assume it's Wiseman. If that's the case do we really want to play a free agent center 20 million + to be a backup? Because Wiseman is starting day 1 no matter what; right?

8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

If we draft a Center with our first pick I would assume it's Wiseman. If that's the case do we really want to play a free agent center 20 million + to be a backup? Because Wiseman is starting day 1 no matter what; right?

Typically 1-5 picks start yes but have you seen just how raw wiseman is right now? ...if he does start it’s not going to be pretty starting off that’s all I will say.

The potential he has is through the roof! The kid very well could be star someday but I think he needs real hard in depth development time for 3-4 years before he starts making real impact 

Edwards on the other hand I believe can make some kind of impact day 1 purely off of scoring ability 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I'm not sure how ready Wiseman is and he'll be coming off a ton of dead time.  I can see a scenario where he plays a role similar to JC's rookie season and learns from a vet.

I'm also not sure you have to pay $20M for a FA - especially if you are looking for a reliable backup.  Ivica Zubac was signed for 4 years, $28M.  You could go well over that and get a guy like him for say 4 years, $48M and still see that as nice value, IMO.  Kanter went for $5M as did Robin Lopez.  Noel, WCS, Dwight, etc. all went super cheap.

There are deals to be had among FA centers.

All that said, if we draft Wiseman I'm fine to have a vet center on a $20M contract to be a potential starter / impact backup.  We paid Jeremy Lin $13M to be the backup PG behind Trae and I'd expect Wiseman to contribute less as a rookie than Trae did.

• Like 3