• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

hace 11 horas, TheNorthCydeRises dijo:

So who are the key vet big men the Hawks are going to bring in, if Skal and Bruno are the 14th and 15th man?

Because right now, all we have is Capela, Collins, and Dedmon ( whose value is diminishing quickly ) ahead of Skal and Bruno.  Unless the plan is to still play Hunter at the 4 even more ( in the now vacated Vince Carter role ).

Our "key vets" may have to be shooters / scorers, whether it be on the front court or the wing.

So to me, one of those key vets will have to be a big that can shoot and score, if Bruno and Skal get moved to the end of the bench.

• Millsap
  • Ibaka
  • Marcus Morris
  • Markief Morris
  • Jerami Grant
  • Dario Saric
  • Melo
  •  

If we are going to spend significant money on those players I would rather make a run for Christian Wood and sign him, up and coming player, can score and defend and play the PF and C positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High5 said:

You also wanted RJ Hunter over Devin Booker. 👀

(sorry I had to - I respect that you put your opinions out there)

This is true, I had to go back and check on it. I always thought I was high on Booker but seems like I didn't get high on him till the very end of the process like I did with Herro and P.J. Washington. 

Hunter was one of those guys who had the metrics for that time, the skill and he was a good player. Didn't translate to the NBA at all like Jenkins. 

Booker was a 6th man who was inconsistent at everything but shooting open threes. He was the 7th or 8th best player on those Wildcats team. 

I simply didn't see it and boy did I miss initially but he did move up on my board a lot like at the end. Even said so in the thread. I said it before, I have a tough time with UK prospects and always have.

LeVert was one I caught early on. 

• Like 2

People need to know, we tend to learn from our mistakes. We also have A LOT more data and tape in 2018-2020 than 2013-2015. Back then, PER was the holy grail. We got so many now that we look at so many things we didn't have available in 2015. Also, that was an era where UK was loaded. We didn't know Towns could shoot it like this unless you actually had private access. I didn't know Booker had anywhere near this amount of skill. He has generational skill. I didn't see that at UK, he was mainly a volume shooter like Affoalo but better at shooting. His defense was horrendous as well. I think we need to know these things. 

Some colleges fully showcase the best of their players, some don't especially the really talented ones with the young prospects. If I saw what I seen in Booker in the NBA, I would have never had him drafted outside of the top 3. Same if I seen Okafor in the NBA and how poorly he translated, I would have never drafted him in the 1st round. That's why scouting is hard. You gotta judge how they will translate to a game that's much harder for some, more than others. 

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

People need to know, we tend to learn from our mistakes. We also have A LOT more data and tape in 2018-2020 than 2013-2015. Back then, PER was the holy grail. We got so many now that we look at so many things we didn't have available in 2015. Also, that was an era where UK was loaded. We didn't know Towns could shoot it like this unless you actually had private access. I didn't know Booker had anywhere near this amount of skill. He has generational skill. I didn't see that at UK, he was mainly a volume shooter like Affoalo but better at shooting. His defense was horrendous as well. I think we need to know these things. 

Some colleges fully showcase the best of their players, some don't especially the really talented ones with the young prospects. If I saw what I seen in Booker in the NBA, I would have never had him drafted outside of the top 3. Same if I seen Okafor in the NBA and how poorly he translated, I would have never drafted him in the 1st round. That's why scouting is hard. You gotta judge how they will translate to a game that's much harder for some, more than others. 

Vernon Carey Jr. would be in my top 5 in 2015. He's not even in my 1st round on my new board that I am going to release soon. I've learned from my previous mistakes. We all have. R.J. Hunter and John Jenkins is why I think size is CRITICAL as well as athleticism from NBA pre-reqs at the SG position. Tyrese Haliburton is a prime example of a player who where he lands to me is everything. Lands in the wrong place, he's in some BS. 

2018, Marvin Bagley was #1 on my big board. In 2020, I realized that he had no business ahead of Trae and Luka. I can make a case for him over Ayton, JJJ, and Bamba if healthy but not over Luka and Trae. It was a massive mistake to pass on those two during the draft. Trae was baby Marbury and Luka was Tyreke Doncic till they weren't. Their level of skill, basketball ability, playmaking, ball-handling, and foul-drawing, range, and finishing were miles ahead of those two and while the talent level is similar if not the same, the BBIQ, ability, skill, playmaking, and ability to draw fouls put them in a tier of their own as prospects. That's why those people who love Ball, I agree with them. He can be special but he has a lot of adjustments to make to the NBA like Trae did. 

Bamba went from an awful player to below average at Texas with potential to be an unicorn. Two years in ORL and all he's did was gain weight (220 to 252). He hasn't improved one iota. Ayton been gradually improving. Same for JJJ. But Trae and Luka. A good player who produced as a rookie and Luka, a very good player who produced as a rookie. Generational skill and playmaking from both. 

If you aren't getting better at this shit yearly, you need to bounce but I know I've improved. In 2009, I think, I had Thabeet at #2 over James Harden (3), Rubio (4), and Steph Curry(6). Like I said, we all made mistakes in the past. 

People also got to remember. The league changes. There was a time when Greg Monroe was a top 10 center. There was a time when Roy Hibbert was a top 10 center. The league changes. There was a time, get an easy basket was an extremely valuable thing before the analytic era. There was a time protecting the paint was everything and being able to defend the post. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, High5 said:

You also wanted RJ Hunter over Devin Booker. 👀

(sorry I had to - I respect that you put your opinions out there)

I went back and reviewed my notes, R.J. dropped down big time by the time of the draft. On my notes around the draft. Oubre was the one I wanted the most available around 15. 

I hope ya'll look at my posts closer to the draft then months before. In 2018, I had Trae at 24 in March, by June, I wanted him after Luka at #3. Let's please quote my posts from around June when it comes to drafts please. Ya'll like to cherry pick opinions around March where shit isn't as fluid. I don't have the workout details or nothing from people I trust to give me that this person could work in the NBA. I got info on R.J. that he wasn't looking like he's going to translate all that well into the NBA in June, even before Summer League took place and adjusted my board for that. I knew Booker was high on my board. I was wondering where you saw I said that but I found the posts where I did but from March. I need the workout details. Some guys just translate and some don't be the workouts help. That's why they are so critical. 

Edited by NBASupes

2 hours ago, High5 said:

I didn't know that comment was going to inspire a 4 post response lol. Relax, we all miss the mark sometimes. Some just more than others. 👀

I would love to see your charts. It's really is to have misses when you put yourself out there. That goes for anyone. It's really easy to have none when you don't. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I would love to see your charts. It's really is to have misses when you put yourself out there. That goes for anyone. It's really easy to have none when you don't. 

The only way you don't have misses in predicting prospects is if you don't actually make predictions.  That is like saying you are an NBA player who doesn't miss shot attempts.  Too much uncertainty and luck involved in the process to be perfect without having a DeLorean in the mix.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That's why I said I respect that you put your opinions and predictions out there. I don't watch college basketball and I barely paid attention to the draft until we got back into the lottery mix 2 years ago. I didn't want anything to do with Trae so I missed the mark on the guy who could go down as our franchise's best player. 

Also, let me say, I wasn't holding onto that RJ Hunter/Devin Booker thing. You mentioned wanting LeVert and it just made me curious what people on here said about him at draft time since he wasn't really on my radar until last season. Then while looking at one of those threads I saw your comments on the other prospects (it was May not March btw). Just thought it was funny. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, High5 said:

That's why I said I respect that you put your opinions and predictions out there. I don't watch college basketball and I barely paid attention to the draft until we got back into the lottery mix 2 years ago. I didn't want anything to do with Trae so I missed the mark on the guy who could go down as our franchise's best player. 

Also, let me say, I wasn't holding onto that RJ Hunter/Devin Booker thing. You mentioned wanting LeVert and it just made me curious what people on here said about him at draft time since he wasn't really on my radar until last season. Then while looking at one of those threads I saw your comments on the other prospects (it was May not March btw). Just thought it was funny. 

I was surprised I was higher on R.J. at one point over Booker but I had to remember. Booker was literally the 7th best player on Kentucky's roster that season even if he was one of the most talented. I didn't see the skills I saw in the NBA and I moved him up when I saw his workouts footage. That squad hid the real KAT from us as well. 

3 hours ago, AHF said:

The only way you don't have misses in predicting prospects is if you don't actually make predictions.  That is like saying you are an NBA player who doesn't miss shot attempts.  Too much uncertainty and luck involved in the process to be perfect without having a DeLorean in the mix.

That's generally my strategy. 

Unless it comes to my cats.

#BBN

• Like 2
  • Haha 1