• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

What kind of player do you think Wiseman is going to be?  He's more Deyonta Davis than Chris Bosh.  Don't fall for the okeydoke.

All I know is that he is long and can already rebound and block shots and can run like a deer.   Plus he average 19 ppg on remarkable efficiency at 19.  Davis averaged 7.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg in college.  Wiseman was the #1 recruit in the nation entering college.

32 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

All I know is that he is long and can already rebound and block shots and can run like a deer.   Plus he average 19 ppg on remarkable efficiency at 19.  Davis averaged 7.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg in college.  Wiseman was the #1 recruit in the nation entering college.

I don't know about y'all, but I cannot WAIT to see how this plays out over the next year or two with @Peoriabird and @kg01

Someone insert *Michael Jackson popcorn gif* for me please.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So was Nerlens Noel.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, Spud2nique said:

New CBS mock has us gettin Hali @Buzzard celebration 🎉 😂 not only that but in this thing he broke into the top 5 like you said he would I said he wouldn’t. 🐝 you made this CBS mock huh? 😂 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-james-wiseman-too-good-to-pass-up-at-no-1-tyrese-haliburton-jumps-into-top-five/amp/

Great to see! That's who I want the Hawks to take. But I can get down with anyone they choose as long as it's not Ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Carmine said:

Great to see! That's who I want the Hawks to take. But I can get down with anyone they choose as long as it's not Ball.

I wouldn't mind us being on the board with Ball available.  Auction the pick off to fleece the Knicks or Pistons or whoever else needs a point.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, Spud2nique said:

14 hours ago, kg01 said:

What kind of player do you think Wiseman is going to be?  He's more Deyonta Davis than Chris Bosh.  Don't fall for the okeydoke.

2020 NBA Mock Draft: James Wiseman too good to pass up at No. 1

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I wouldn't mind us being on the board with Ball available.  Auction the pick off to fleece the Knicks or Pistons or whoever else needs a point.

Yezzir! I still see Edwards firmly going #1, which makes the #2 spot prime real estate. I would gladly take their 2021 unprotected Mavs pick :).

Also, not to say Ball is a bad player, just a bad player for us.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, kg01 said:

Probably gonna be something like, "Well dang, kg was right about everything." - Peo

Since you pretty much hate everyone this year, I have a feeling you will right about 70% of the time.   A couple of these guys will pop but which ones...🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

2020 NBA Mock Draft: James Wiseman too good to pass up at No. 1

Meh.  Once I saw they used Gary Parrish to write one of their mocks, I wrote off CBSSports' NBA coverage. 

You gotta come with something better than that if you wanna go at the king01, bro. 😏

In all seriousness though, I like the 'idea' of Wiseman but I just don't fall for buy into the hype. 

The practical objection I've heard about him is that he's years away from contributing.  A guy like Ayton was able to contribute in year 1 and he's still a work in process.  Wiseman is years away from even being on Ayton's level.

Now one thing everyone forgets is that, when it comes to rookies, the #1 pick's deal actually represents "real" money (8-figures iiuc) by year 3/4.  So you can't just write it off as "oh, he's just on a rookie deal" if you take a guy at 1.  You need that guy contributing fairly early or it is a failure and a potential cap issue.

Pair that with the fact that the Hawks have heavily invested in the C position with guys on multi-year deals and taking a C becomes untenable from a financial standpoint.  Sorry but you can't have that high a percentage of your cap tied up in the center position in today's NBA.  Even if we're just talking Capela and what Wiseman's deal would be as a high pick.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Meh.  Once I saw they used Gary Parrish to write one of their mocks, I wrote off CBSSports' NBA coverage. 

You gotta come with something better than that if you wanna go at the king01, bro. 😏

In all seriousness though, I like the 'idea' of Wiseman but I just don't fall for buy into the hype.

The practical objection I've heard about him is that he's years away from contributing.  A guy like Ayton was able to contribute in year 1 and he's still a work in process.  Wiseman is years away from even being on Ayton's level.

Now one thing everyone forgets is that, when it comes to rookies, the #1 pick's deal actually represents "real" money (8-figures iiuc) by year 3/4.  So you can't just write it off as "oh, he's just on a rookie deal" if you take a guy at 1.  You need that guy contributing fairly early or it is a failure and a potential cap issue.

Pair that with the fact that the Hawks have heavily invested in the C position with guys on multi-year deals and taking a C becomes untenable from a financial standpoint.  Sorry but you can't have that high a percentage of your cap tied up in the center position in today's NBA.  Even if we're just talking Capela and what Wiseman's deal would be as a high pick.

Let's think about what you just said.  Wiseman will take time develop and we have centers on the team right now to man the position while he develops.  What's the problem with this approach? Secondly, any daft pick we take will require development and will be a part time rotational player at best.  But picking a wing player when you already have 3 under 23 years old is more questionable than picking an 19 year old center in the draft when you really only have 1 legit yet limited center under 27 who has foot problems.

26 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Let's think about what you just said.  Wiseman will take time develop and we have centers on the team right now to man the position while he develops.  What's the problem with this approach? Secondly, any daft pick we take will require development and will be a part time rotational player at best.  But picking a wing player when you already have 3 under 23 years old is more questionable than picking an 19 year old center in the draft when you really only have 1 legit yet limited center under 27 who has foot problems.

Let's think about what you just said.

I hear what you're saying but we're past the point of hope n' see drafting.  We're at the point where we need to start building our team.  If Wiseman is ever able to contribute, it'll be 3-4 years from now.  And that's a huge if.  We really don't have time to wait on a guy who really won't be playing for multiple years.

A wing can play now.  There's room for it despite the current roster makeup.  And each one is a possible trade chip since wings are commodities, to a certain degree.  Certainly more than a big man who won't have enough floor-time to show he can do anything.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

A wing can play now.

But realistically, How many minutes will he get if we sign a vet wing players if he is strictly a wing player.  I advocate Hayes because he is a great point guard who is big and athletic enough to guard 2's but a guy like Okoro will take time to develop is he does at all.

21 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

But realistically, How many minutes will he get if we sign a vet wing players if he is strictly a wing player.  I advocate Hayes because he is a great point guard who is big and athletic enough to guard 2's but a guy like Okoro will take time to develop is he does at all.

I think there's a lot of time to go around.  Think about how many minutes guys like Bembry, Cra(p)bbe/Turn(coat)er, Graham and other randos got.

Remember this is between the 2, 3, and 4 depending on matchups.

You raise a good point though regarding us signing a vet wing.  I could see that happening.  Any names come to mind, btw?

I like Hayes for the reasons you mention too.  Other than Wiseman, I'm cool with your initial top 5.

This discussion has been too civil, peo.  Where's the vitriol?  Quarantine life has changed you.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think there's a lot of time to go around.  Think about how many minutes guys like Bembry, Cra(p)bbe/Turn(coat)er, Graham and other randos got.

Remember this is between the 2, 3, and 4 depending on matchups.

You raise a good point though regarding us signing a vet wing.  I could see that happening.  Any names come to mind, btw?

I like Hayes for the reasons you mention too.  Other than Wiseman, I'm cool with your initial top 5.

This discussion has been too civil, peo.  Where's the vitriol?  Quarantine life has changed you.

I wouldn't mind signing Austin Rivers.

• Like 2