• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do have to say, I still find him intriguing. I think he is a smart gamble.  If he doesn't pan out, he is a second round pick so who cares.  But if he does pan out, then he has the upside to be a huge get at that pick.  The "now I know he's an All-Star" stuff is premature, but I'd be pumped if he were on our roster and showed that well.

Tell me how taking a flyer on Bol Bol isn't worth it the risk in the 2nd round? Second round is the land of stash and dash internationals, half of whom never see an NBA court, or the mediocre college combo guard that adds no value to the team. 

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do have to say, I still find him intriguing. I think he is a smart gamble.  If he doesn't pan out, he is a second round pick so who cares.  But if he does pan out, then he has the upside to be a huge get at that pick.  The "now I know he's an All-Star" stuff is premature, but I'd be pumped if he were on our roster and showed that well even in an exhibition.  

And I'd put this one in more of a "pre-season game" category than a "summer league" category since all these guys are rostered NBA players and not the sub-NBA-players-trying-to-make-a-splash that permeates much of summer play.

The Nuggets keep doing this lately. Taking gambles on guys who have high potentials but hurt a bit by injury. Bol Bol and MPJ and I thought there was another guy. It’s a smart way to build using 2nd round picks imo. MPJ was a first round but still huge value where they got him.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

The Nuggets keep doing this lately. Taking gambles on guys who have high potentials but hurt a bit by injury. Bol Bol and MPJ and I thought there was another guy. It’s a smart way to build using 2nd round picks imo. MPJ was a first round but still huge value where they got him.

In a re-draft, MPJ would go significantly higher.  There is a good chance that happens with Bol Bol as well.  Upside for not just higher but much higher.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Tell me how taking a flyer on Bol Bol isn't worth it the risk in the 2nd round? Second round is the land of stash and dash internationals, half of whom never see an NBA court, or the mediocre college combo guard that adds no value to the team. 

We could end up badly regretting this:

It all started with the Miami Heat as the Hawks shipped off pick No. 44 (which turned into Bol Bol and was sent to the Denver Nuggets) for a 2024 second round pick and cash considerations. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

I have him at 6th or 7th in the 2018 redraft. Not sure where I’d put Bol just yet but definitely round 1.

Who you got above him?

I've got these guys as in the discussion (with some being no-brainers).

Ayton

Doncic

Trae

JJJ

SGA

Mitchell Robinson

Wendell Carter

Mikal Bridges

Bagley

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

Who you got above him?

I've got these guys as in the discussion (with some being no-brainers).

Ayton

Doncic

Trae

JJJ

SGA

Mitchell Robinson

Wendell Carter

Mikal Bridges

Bagley

I have:

Ayton

Doncic

Trae

JJJ

SGA

Mitchell Rob

Wendell Carter

Bagley (his injuries are starting to scare me now but talent is there, toss up here)

I guess he’d go 8th in my redo. I do like both Bridges boys but Porter has more stardom ability while they have defined roles.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, Spud2nique said:

I have him at 6th or 7th in the 2018 redraft. Not sure where I’d put Bol just yet but definitely round 1.

Don't fall into the trap, spud.

Bol is a guy who flashes and entices.  But, when you look at what actually happened in the bulk of the game, you see that he's actually pretty trash.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Don't fall into the trap, spud.

Bol is a guy who flashes and entices.  But, when you look at what actually happened in the bulk of the game, you see that he's actually pretty trash.

No like I said it was an all star looking game with no D. But at the very least Bol was able to lift his own confidence up a bit by showing out some. Not saying he’s gonna be an all star or anything but with his measurements he has a chance to be a factor in a rotation if he continues to work.

• Premium Member

This is some interesting news!  We have oodles of capspace to buy a 1st rounder if we choose. 2nd rounders cost a max of $3 million. Not sure how much 1st rounders cost. 

If we buy a pick in the 18-23 range, who are the players to look at in this range?

As they face what some expect to be tens of millions per franchise in losses next season, some teams might have to slash payroll, perhaps trading players or electing not to aggressively pursue free agents. Others might offload draft picks.

"I suspect first-round picks will be for sale in this draft," one team executive said. "We haven't really seen that in a decade." The last first-round pick to be sold was in 2013 by the Denver Nuggets (the Utah Jazz selected Rudy Gobert at 27th).

The possible losses have teams looking at other ways to generate money, from the sale of assets, including real estate, or tapping credit facilities. One NBA team, the Minnesota Timberwolves, is already publicly for sale.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29544380/nba-owners-current-financial-turmoil-portends-future-payroll-problems

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Penny wise, pound foolish to sell picks.

This is Schlenk's biggest problem!  He could have had so much depth by just using his 2nd round draft picks.  He appears to never learn from past mistakes in this regard.

BR new mock

4. Atlanta Hawks: James Wiseman (Memphis, C, Freshman)

4 OF 13

c7140df837f61cd22898e29b9ca48482_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top
Karen Pulfer Focht/Associated Press

The Atlanta Hawks might not care about filling needs if James Wiseman is still on the board. Opinions vary from scout to scout on his game and fit, but at No. 4, it's easy to picture Atlanta being too enticed by his 7'1" size, 7'6" wingspan and athleticism to settle on a perceived lower-upside player such as Deni Avdija, Tyrese Haliburton or Isaac Okoro.

And the Hawks' acquisition of Clint Capela, who has been injured, is limited offensively and has a tradable contract, shouldn't factor into the team's draft decision.

Wiseman would play behind Capela early on, but in Year 2 or 3, the Hawks could see more scoring ability around the block and mid-range touch from their 2020 first-rounder. In the meantime, he'll still give Trae Young a monster finishing/lob target and extra shot-blocking on defense.

• Like 4