• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching!

Peoriabird

14 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Did a quick check of the box scores just to make sure my memory was accurate.  In all 3 games Nate coached he had Capela in the game late with each game still within reach for either team. None of them were necessarily one possession games, but they were all within reach.  Hawks go 2-1 and play well in each game except for guys missing good shots in Boston L.

And yet LP continues to make the same call to take Capela out and put Gallo in late in games. It's cost them more than once.  I just don't get it.  Gallo is not even a top offensive weapon at this point.  Clint rebounds, blocks shots, and shoots a higher % than Gallo.  Even if teams foul Clint and he misses a FT, his defense is good enough to stop a score on the other end.  

it's just plain old dumb. Those type of decisions get you beat more times than not. Ask Coach Pop what happened when he benched Tim Duncan down the stretch of game 6 in the 2013 finals

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:16 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I could have missed it, but I've not seen anyone question LP's work ethic.  I'm sure Nate meant it as a compliment but it doesn't really address the criticisms of LP.  And besides, hard working doesn't equate to competent or productive.  In fact, I'd argue the fact that he's so hard working and still suffers well below average results is an indictment on his coaching acumen. Talent level in year's past is certainly a valid consideration as are injuries this year, but  I'd argue he's still not getting the most out of the players he has available. And when you don't do that AND you continue making the same coaching decisions that turn out poorly, game after game, one begins to question your ability to adjust your mindset for the betterment of the team.  

I actually like LP as he seems like a good dude, but I think he's highly suspect in the coaching department - which is kinda a big deal since he's a coach and all.  Even if you subscribe to the notion that there's valid reasons for the record, at some point players stop responding to you because the message that isn't working gets old.  Sometimes teams are just stuck in a rut and need new leadership.  I tend to think that's where the Hawks are now.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

It is indefensible to pull CC under the circumstances last night.  I’ve said LP has been sinking this season.  TS has to think very hard about making a change over the AS break.

I'm thinking AS Break as well.  It just makes the most sense.  Make the change to Nate and see how the 2nd half turns out.  Give the team a fresh start.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is indefensible to pull CC under the circumstances last night.  I’ve said LP has been sinking this season.  TS has to think very hard about making a change over the AS break.

He was terrible last year too, but we all gave him a pass since he's still young and "learning", but now I'm personally done waiting for him to stop making rookie mistakes. He has single handedly cost us about three games this year and that's the difference between making the playoffs and missing them. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, AHF said:

That dumb azz peoriabird was right after all!  Hmmmmm.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I just don't believe they will let him go mid season.  Right or wrong.   

Then they better be prepared to waste the entire season.  Even IF the team gets healthy and plays better under LP, what's the point of allowing the underperforming (relative to players available) to continue?  It doesn't do the team any favors and only prolongs the inevitable. 

IMO, as soon as Schlenk and Ressler know a change needs to be made, they need to make it at the first logical time to do so.  That would mean all-star break to me.  If they are still unsure of whether a change needs to be made then I can see waiting until the end of year, but I can't imagine they would be uncertain at this point.  The evidence is mounting game by game. 

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think LP's entire staff ( including Nate ) is failing him.

LOL!  This sounds exactly like the Quinn scenario.  Fire the coordinators because they are the problem not the head coach!  LOL!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm telling you guys.  This all started when he tinkered with the lineup and took Bruno out of the rotation and tried to appease all of his new toys.  Guys playing out of position.  Soft as cotton balls guys being asked to play "tough".  Bigs have to play in this league, even if it means more skilled and talented players sit.  Because when push comes to shove, the bigs determine how great your defense is.

Watching that last possession last night, we had Trae - Huerter - Snell - Solo - and Gallinari out on the floor.  Even if you think that's the best offensive lineup you can put out on the floor at that time, only Huerter and Snell was making shots.  You needed someone on the floor on the defensive end, if case the Hawks DID miss the shot.  That lineup is quite possibly the worst defensive lineup we could've put on the floor.

When the Cavs didn't call timeout after Trae's miss, it removed the possibility of LP inserting Capela back into the game.  But that's the reason why the Cavs didn't call timeout . . . because Capela wasn't in the game.

That play was amazing.   Trae was worried about Garland behind him in the corner, but saw the ball going to the brotha that I had never heard of before.  ( Lamar Stevens was +12 for the game, with 8 points, by the way ).  And Huerter ended up on Jared Allen.  How TF that happened, I don't know.  And Gallinari's soft ass doesn't even challenge the dunk, looking around like the girl on the meme.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Little-Girl-Coloring-What-Reaction-Gif.gif

Capela +17

Gallanari -10

I think LP's entire staff ( including Nate ) is failing him.  Either that, or LP doesn't listen to his assistants.  Someone has to be able to tell the guy if this particular rotation is a bad move.

Well Nate played Capela at the end of all three games when he was in charge so I have a hard time believing he's agreeing with LPs decision to play Gallo over Clint.  I'm guessing he's just not making waves and biding his time cuz he sees the writing on the wall. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

When the Cavs didn't call timeout after Trae's miss, it removed the possibility of LP inserting Capela back into the game.  But that's the reason why the Cavs didn't call timeout . . . because Capela wasn't in the game.

Yep.  Trae went too soon, we were outcoached.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yep.  Trae went too soon, we were outcoached.

If the goal was to take a late shot, then you really don't need Gallo's offense on the floor because Trae is going to create.

If the goal is to take a shot with time on the clock, you need defense on the floor.  Gallo / Solo D = :barf:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Gallo is terrible, this is beyond a slump, we are nearly half way through the season. I guess they feel compelled to play him because of his contract. He misses shots and he's a scare crow on defense. Also, in crunch time you need a rim protector, and you need a guy can get an offensive rebound on a missed shot or a put back on a missed shot. Particularly with Collins out. Also CLP's explanation about fouls is not credible as teams cant intentionally foul away from the ball in the last two minutes. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Then they better be prepared to waste the entire season.  Even IF the team gets healthy and plays better under LP, what's the point of allowing the underperforming (relative to players available) to continue?  It doesn't do the team any favors and only prolongs the inevitable. 

IMO, as soon as Schlenk and Ressler know a change needs to be made, they need to make it at the first logical time to do so.  That would mean all-star break to me.  If they are still unsure of whether a change needs to be made then I can see waiting until the end of year, but I can't imagine they would be uncertain at this point.  The evidence is mounting game by game. 

Back to my "why does LP take Capela out at the end of games" soapbox:  I don't think that Cleveland dunk would have happened if Capela was still in the game.  Gallinari plays absolutely no defense, and really looks lost on defense (or he is afraid or just doesn't care about playing defense.)

As for Schlenk, he shouldn't get a pass either.  Gallinari was a terrible signing; $20+ million a year for a shooter who forgot how to shoot, and who thinks defense is a fairy tale that really doesn't exist.  The contract for Bogi is terrible too.  $18+ million a year for a wing who is not significantly better than some of the wings we already had.  I give Schlenk props for making the trade to get Capela. 

Some of our past GMs were great at trading or signing free agents, but were terrible at drafting.  Schlenk is okay at drafting, sometimes makes a good trade, but NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER should he be allowed to sign free agents.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

Back to my "why does LP take Capela out at the end of games" soapbox:  I don't think that Cleveland dunk would have happened if Capela was still in the game.  Gallinari plays absolutely no defense, and really looks lost on defense (or he is afraid or just doesn't care about playing defense.)

As for Schlenk, he shouldn't get a pass either.  Gallinari was a terrible signing; $20+ million a year for a shooter who forgot how to shoot, and who thinks defense is a fairy tale that really doesn't exist.  The contract for Bogi is terrible too.  $18+ million a year for a wing who is not significantly better than some of the wings we already had.  I give Schlenk props for making the trade to get Capela. 

Some of our past GMs were great at trading or signing free agents, but were terrible at drafting.  Schlenk is okay at drafting, sometimes makes a good trade, but NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER should he be allowed to sign free agents.

Danny Ferry was masterful with free agents and trades for vets. Milsap, DMC, Korver, Bazemore, Thabo, got all those guys on the cheap or through low cost trades.

• Like 1