• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Perpetual Preseason Watch

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

You got to Accentuate the Positive! Eliminate the Negative! And Latch On to the Affirmative! So... we're ending camp early.

~llc00lp

yeah that's a nonsense sentence but i don't blame them too much.   this is all jacked up anyway.   

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Pat Riley or Greg Popoivich wouldn't have checked out early. This is not pushing our team culture in the right direction. I'm sure most here will say "whatever, it's just 4 days", so let the rationalizations and excuses begin.

Let's just hope there isn't an overreaction to this news.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Pat Riley or Greg Popoivich wouldn't have checked out early. This is not pushing our team culture in the right direction. I'm sure most here will say "whatever, it's just 4 days", so let the rationalizations and excuses begin.

I'm not happy with this at all.  Make every second count.

• Like 4

Yeah, like who knows when they will be allowed to practice again together. Have they not learned anything from assuming tomorrow is promised? We wouldnt be in this mess if we prioritized winning today, not tomorrow.

Even if its just a bunch of film study and campfire activities, take advantage of the time given 

• Like 1

• Moderators

According to Harry the Hawk... whoops... I've already said too much! Instead, here's Sarah...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-end-minicamp-early/SVFS3NEEMJETXKYSFKBF6WELCM/

According to a person familiar with the situation, ending a few days early always has been the plan, with a focus on injury maintenance and prevention and keeping players engaged throughout the voluntary workouts.

The “injury maintenance” refers to not wanting to overdo it with Clint Capela, Skal Labissiere and Kevin Huerter. Capela is healthy but this was the first time he had played 5-on-5 with the team since getting over a nagging heel injury, same with Labissiere but this is his first time scrimmaging since getting over a left knee chondral injury. Huerter had sprained his left ankle during workouts a month ago and was limited during minicamp, but he said Monday he doesn’t think it will be a big issue moving forward.

~lw3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

According to Harry the Hawk... whoops... I've already said too much! Instead, here's Sarah...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-end-minicamp-early/SVFS3NEEMJETXKYSFKBF6WELCM/

~lw3

I'm not a huge believer in the "less is more" approach to body maintenance. There is a careful balance between rest and rust, but checking out early when the other delete 8 teams are using their time is not a good look. Oh well, back to the mock drafts.

24 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm not a huge believer in the "less is more" approach to body maintenance. There is a careful balance between rest and rust, but checking out early when the other delete 8 teams are using their time is not a good look. Oh well, back to the mock drafts.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure they have analytics that tell them how much to push the players.  Not saying I'm happy with them ending earlier, but can't do sh** about it so I'm not going to complain about it. 

• Premium Member

From the outside, it’s easy to express bewilderment as to why the Hawks would end their camp early, especially if you’ve kept up with the stories on this site for the past few months about how adamant they were about getting practice time. But Atlanta wasn’t the only team to end camp early. Cleveland and New York decided to call it quits before the two weeks were over.(also GSW)

The reason for ending camp early, according to one of the Hawks, was players were starting to feel a little worn out after not playing together for six months. Clint Capela and Skal Labissiere hadn’t played in nearly nine months due to rehabbing their injuries. Kevin Huerter rolled his ankle a month ago and was a bit limited in practice.

It already was a tough task to develop any strong evaluations because the players and coaches only had two weeks of time together. That’s why there was very little focus on implementing any X’s and O’s work during the nine days. Plus, there’s still uncertainty of when next season is going to begin, so exhausting yourself and risking injury isn’t worth it right now. According to the players, by ending camp early Pierce was rewarding everyone’s work in what was voluntary practice time.

“Honestly, just getting back on the court together after six months — that really is such a long layoff,” one Hawks player said. “Just to play against somebody in a five-on-five setting was huge. We haven’t done that at all. So, yeah, there was sloppiness, but just to get everyone in the gym is important. Off the court, it was great. We did a lot of bubble activities, we were almost forced to hang out with each other with no other distractions, so that was great. Getting Clint in the mix, going over film, watching the playoff games was also nice.

“It just got you back into a basketball mindset and broke up the norm. From an outsider, it’s like, ‘Yeah how much actual stuff did they get done to help them for the regular season?’ Maybe not much, but we started to implement a culture, got everyone together and were able to do more than just individual work. So it was worth it.”

• Like 2