• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want at #6?

NBASupes

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Low steal rate, block rate as well as low rebounding rate. what metric shows this exceptional defense 

1.1 spg per36 is pretty good for a freshman wing that's a NBA prospect 

1.0 bpg per36 is excellent for a freshman wing that's a NBA prospect. 

His rebounding rate is lower than you expect for sure 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

1.1 spg per36 is pretty good for a freshman wing that's a NBA prospect 

1.0 bpg per36 is excellent for a freshman that's a NBA prospect. 

His rebounding rate is lower than you expect for sure 

That's what I'm saying...Pretty good at some things master of none!

• Premium Member

What league insiders are saying: Two teams repeatedly came up as active trade candidates: the Atlanta Hawks (No. 6) and Phoenix Suns (No. 10).

Both have young talent and ownership expects them to compete for the playoffs. Insiders could see both moving their pick if the right veteran player comes along. Each team is also projected to have cap space to help facilitate a deal, if necessary.

Who is the most underrated draft prospect?

The situation: Trying to get people to talk about players they like ahead of the draft is a difficult exercise. Teams are hesitant to give away any hints as to the undervalued players they like.

Still, we were able to come up with a few names that stood out across the board.

League insiders' picks:

• Duke's Cassius Stanley | No. 50 in the ESPN Top 100: "Some people have him in the second round," an Eastern Conference executive said. "But I think that's crazy. He's a super athlete, and I think he'll be good."

• TCU's Desmond Bane | No. 41: "His stock has been rising, but I like him," a Western Conference executive said. "He's going to scare people off because he's got a short wingspan, but he may be the best shooter in the draft."

• Washington's Jaden McDaniels | No. 24: "He can be hit or miss, but he's got a lot of talent," an Eastern Conference scout said. "Little wild [on the court], but underrated."

• Auburn's Isaac Okoro | No. 7: "He is maybe the most ready guy in the draft," a Western Conference scout said. "I think he could go to a team like Golden State or another good team and contribute right away."

Who is the most overrated draft prospect?

The situation: Polling execs and scouts for overrated prospects is much easier, with multiple players at the top of draft boards getting votes.

League insiders' picks:

Toppin was the most popular pick here. While insiders find him intriguing, they don't see the 22-year-old as a prospect who belongs at the top of the lottery.

"I think he's a good player and I like him and he had an unbelievable year, but this consensus top-five status he's obtained is weird to me," an Eastern Conference scout said.

"If Obi Toppin is gonna go in the top five, that's overrated," an Eastern Conference executive said.

"I don't know when I watch him that I'm convinced he can replicate what he's doing now in an NBA game," a Western Conference scout said. "I think he's a tweener."

• Anthony Edwards

"I'm worried about Edwards," an Eastern Conference executive said. "He'll probably average 20 per game, but has Zach LaVine written all over him. He's a talent, but I'm not 100 percent sold he should be the No. 1 pick and that he's going to be great."

• James Wiseman

"Wiseman is less skilled than Deandre Ayton," one executive said, "and not as good."

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Carmine said:

He has very good touch on his floaters, not concerned. Also not known to take bad shots, your FG% won't top 50% during your college career if your settling for those type of shots.

The issue is that if he's not going to be able to get to the rim and finish with these opportunities then he's only ever going to be a complementary player. Which for usis fine, we don't need him to be a starting PG. But I don't think he's a valuable player at #6, I'd like to think we could do better.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

The issue is that if he's not going to be able to get to the rim and finish with these opportunities then he's only ever going to be a complementary player. Which for usis fine, we don't need him to be a starting PG. But I don't think he's a valuable player at #6, I'd like to think we could do better.

I mean the guy is wiry so it's pretty apparent he's not a downhill threat. Fortunately, in spite of this he is still a good finisher when choosing to attack the basket, although he does need to be more aggressive. I'd make the argument that Haliburton is actually the most valuable player in his draft range, depending on where he lands. Accumulating talent is key for rebuilding teams, but scheme, chemistry, and development of your young talent can't be neglected. What do the Hawks need: Shooting, Defense, Playmaking, Ball-Handler, Leadership. What does Tyrese provide? All of the above. At some point, you gotta stop overthinking it and take the "glue" player that fits what you do and will maximize your talent. I think he can be a Hawks version of Ryan, make everyone around him better.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Carmine said:

I mean the guy is wiry so it's pretty apparent he's not a downhill threat. Fortunately, in spite of this he is still a good finisher when choosing to attack the basket, although he does need to be more aggressive. I'd make the argument that Haliburton is actually the most valuable player in his draft range, depending on where he lands. Accumulating talent is key for rebuilding teams, but scheme, chemistry, and development of your young talent can't be neglected. What do the Hawks need: Shooting, Defense, Playmaking, Ball-Handler, Leadership. What does Tyrese provide? All of the above. At some point, you gotta stop overthinking it and take the "glue" player that fits what you do and will maximize your talent. I think he can be a Hawks version of Ryan, make everyone around him better.

Perhaps I should get used to the fact that the top of this draft just isn't that good, but if we really lost 47 games just to draft Haliburton that'd be a let down to me. He's a good prospect, but the value of taking a backup PG is lower. 

Then again, if he gets to 180, the finishing concerns are probably mitigated. I don't know, I bounce between "this guy is a career backup" and "he can become as good or better than SGA" whenever I see Haliburton.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Perhaps I should get used to the fact that the top of this draft just isn't that good, but if we really lost 47 games just to draft Haliburton that'd be a let down to me. He's a good prospect, but the value of taking a backup PG is lower. 

Then again, if he gets to 180, the finishing concerns are probably mitigated. I don't know, I bounce between "this guy is a career backup" and "he can become as good or better than SGA" whenever I see Haliburton.

Isn't he 175lbs?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I agree It's not ideal, like many others I wanted #1 & Ant-Man. Time to see what the league's scouting departments are made of. Because of his off-ball capabilities, even though he'll be in a bench role, the minutes will be there for him and can play with starting lineup. I think if Tyrese reaches his potential, he can be 3-5x All-Star. If he goes to a team like pistons or the knicks who try to make him a lead guard, not so much. Reports are he's a gym-rat as well, unselfish player who will mesh well with our young core. No need to roll the dice here.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

No one in this draft will be a 3-5 time all star.

I agree.  And, because there are no great stars to draft, adding a new backup for Trae can be accomplished by adding Tyrese at #6.  I know.  You don't like him.  I do.  Hawks need a great #2 PG to complete our team.  Whether it's him or someone else, I hope we can fix this problem.

:smug:

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Carmine said:

Yes, he's a wet noodle. But we've seen similar prospects such as SGA who was like 5th percentile in terms of weight @ his position coming out kentucky have success.

SGA was significantly more of an athlete which is probably why he was so much better his freshman year than Haliburton.  I'm not sure how much I would compare them as prospects.  I think Haliburton will be a more mature playmaker than SGA was his rookie year (i.e., fewer mistakes) but won't be nearly as aggressive or be able to initiate nearly as much of his own offense as SGA can.  I see them as filling pretty different roles despite the similarity in being long, skinny and tall for the PG position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

No one in this draft will be a 3-5 time all star.

Fair enough, TBH I wouldn't be shocked if Avdija made multiple all-star appearances. I think Hali makes at least one before his career is done and even if he doesn't it will still be a good pick.

• Thanks 1