• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want at #6?

NBASupes

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

SGA was significantly more of an athlete which is probably why he was so much better his freshman year than Haliburton.  I'm not sure how much I would compare them as prospects.  I think Haliburton will be a more mature playmaker than SGA was his rookie year (i.e., fewer mistakes) but won't be nearly as aggressive or be able to initiate nearly as much of his own offense as SGA can.  I see them as filling pretty different roles despite the similarity in being long, skinny and tall for the PG position.

No doubt, should've been more clear, strictly speaking in terms of build. OKC really came out on top with that trade.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Has there ever been a draft where at least one player has not been a 3-5 allstar? 

(I haven't looked, just asking)

Here is the first season I looked at:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2000.html

By glancing, I think you have 3 guys who made a single All-Star appearance each.

• Thanks 1

To throw our guy a bone, another podcast actually was high on Toppin.  Matt Babcock, former agent/current media draft guy (yes, he's related to our old GM so tifwiw), thinks MIN's best option is Toppin.  Says he's not concerned about the defense because all the other prospects have concerns there too.

😒

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Agreed, if he can't shoot I'm not sure how much better Okoro is than Bembry. Even though he's a better athlete and player, not being able to shoot really forces you to extraordinary at everything else.

I said the exact same thing weeks ago and watch you get likes while I got heat! 😎

• Haha 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I said the exact same thing weeks ago and watch you get likes while I got heat! 😎

You are definitely not alone in being scared to death of Okoro.  The potential is there but so much work needed on that jumper.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

You are definitely not alone in being scared to death of Okoro.  The potential is there but so much work needed on that jumper.

And its not just the shot that is worrisome about him. Its also the fact that he doesn't excel at anything in particular which doesn't project well in the NBA

• Premium Member

In one scenario, James Wiseman or Onyeka Okongwu could be on the board when the Hawks make their selection. Schlenk may see either one of them as the best player they can take, yet their fit on the roster may not be optimal for Atlanta to start contending.

The Hawks already have Collins, Clint Capela, Dewayne Dedmon and Bruno Fernando on the roster. Wiseman and Okongwu, fighting for minutes, would probably not have much of an impact on the team’s success during their early years. While it is great to have a plethora of capable and talented bigs on a roster, the Hawks may find more value by going in a different direction.

Prospects like Deni Avdija, Killian Hayes, Devin Vassell, Isaac Okoro and Tyrese Haliburton (these are just a few) project to be better fits on a Hawks team that is looking to fill talent between Young and Collins. The Hawks need other playmakers and defense at the guard and wing positions. All of those players will bring either secondary playmaking or tenacious defense.

As good as Young is on offense, and he is superb, he struggles defensively. The Hawks are have already targeted perimeter defense with the addition of Cam Reddish and De’Andre Hunter, and Atlanta will benefit from adding more capable defenders in the backcourt and in the wing rotation. This is at least part of the reason why players like Vassell and Okoro are tied to the team in pre-draft rumors.

Having a wing rotation that can defend is so important in a league that is dominated by forwards who can score. The Hawks were the 5th-worst defensive team statistically last season. Atlanta’s wing players were inexperienced in 2019-20, and adding more depth to that position may be what is best fit to improve the team.

Additionally, the squad struggled offensively when Young was on the bench. Seeking out a player with creation and playmaking ability should be high on Schlenk’s list of priorities.

Of course, nobody outside of the upper management of the team knows who the Hawks are targeting on their board, but there are many mock drafts out there suggesting Atlanta could scoop up a big man. As noted above, Okongwu or Wiseman may be the best player available when the Hawks are on the clock, but Schlenk will have to decide if they are the best candidates to help the Hawks win more games.

The players that Atlanta will be able to take at No. 6 will all be pretty close in terms of projection and value, and part of this is a fallout from the limitation of tape on a lot of the prospects. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus as to who the Hawks will target among the recent mock drafts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

They had an NBA mock draft on Twitter and Hawks traded to number #1. It went like like this, Hawks get #1 and Jarrett Culver, T-wolves get #6, #50, Kevin Heurter, Bembry, and a top 7 protected 2021 1st round pick. 

Um,  I don't know how I feel about this. I like Antman, but Kevin is more valuable right now to me.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

They had an NBA mock draft on Twitter and Hawks traded to number #1. It went like like this, Hawks get #1 and Jarrett Culver, T-wolves get #6, #50, Kevin Heurter, Bembry, and a top 7 protected 2021 1st round pick. 

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Um,  I don't know how I feel about this. I like Antman, but Kevin is more valuable right now to me.

I like you, don't know that I'm that enamored with Edwards. 

Let's do this instead:  they can keep Culver, we keep Huerter - call it a deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1