• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Seems like both 2-way guys will need to start the year dressed and on the bench. And given the flux (as far as I'm aware) of any G-league season, maybe it's going to be more a question of how often they're in street clothes than whether they'll be on the bench.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So much for our depth giving us an advantage. The Hawks are really thin at Center right now. At least Bruno gets a shot tomorrow. It's now or never big fella. As for Capela, he had no business playing with a sore Achilles tendon. Trust me, a full rupture will make you wish you'd listened to your body. Either take the time to rest and stretch or pop it and spend the next month or two in a walking boot after surgery. 

• Premium Member

Somehow Schlenk's teams always end up the same...tons of wings with no big man or point guard depth.  Is this just bad luck or poor roster construction? To me its poor roster construction. I just don't know why every time the Hawks have good center depth, Schlenk makes a move to eliminate it.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Capela injury looks like it's going to be an issue all season. 

Bruno better grow up real quick!

I really hope not but I fear that you are correct.  The only solution is we need to start blowing teams out and let OO gets some garbage time minutes for game experience

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I really hope not but I fear that you are correct.  The only solution is we need to start blowing teams out and let OO gets some garbage time minutes for game experience

Once big guys start having foot/ankle issues, it usually goes downhill. Not saying that's what will happen to Capela, but he we are start of the season and he's injured yet again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Once big guys start having foot/ankle issues, it usually goes downhill. Not saying that's what will happen to Capela, but he we are start of the season and he's injured yet again.

Where do you guys get your injury news?  I struggle finding the most up to date status on our guys, and it's especially difficult now that it's so common to just list an injury when we want to rest guys or they're not ready for game time (rookies) yet.  Did he reinjure the foot in preseason games? 

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Where do you guys get your injury news?  I struggle finding the most up to date status on our guys, and it's especially difficult now that it's so common to just list an injury when we want to rest guys or they're not ready for game time (rookies) yet.  Did he reinjure the foot in preseason games? 

The team posts limited info on injuries and availability before games. @JayBirdHawk usually posts the latest updates.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Somehow Schlenk's teams always end up the same...tons of wings with no big man or point guard depth.  Is this just bad luck or poor roster construction? To me its poor roster construction. I just don't know why every time the Hawks have good center depth, Schlenk makes a move to eliminate it.

I don't think we should have made the Snell/Dedmon deal. At the very least, he was an actual bench center capable of spot starting.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I think Trae, Rondo and Dunn is great PG depth.

Capela, OO and JC is fine C depth but once you layer in the fact that Capela has been hurt and OO was hurt when we drafted him then I think people can rightly ask why we would flip Dedmon for Snell.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Capela, OO and JC is fine C depth but once you layer in the fact that Capela has been hurt and OO was hurt when we drafted him then I think people can rightly ask why we would flip Dedmon for Snell.

Dunn was injured when signed...Rondo is out and even Goodwin is out. Once again no back up point guard.  Should never happen but it happens all of the time with Schlenk!  Capela out, OO injured when drafted.  We have to start out 3rd string center and put John and Gallo in at center.  Happens all of the time so is it a coincident?  Why does this not happen all of the time to other teams?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Because we didn't know we were getting Bogdan.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Follow Sarah K Spencer on Twitter, also the Hawks and Chris Kirschner and Peachtrehoops

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Because we didn't know we were getting Bogdan.  

Even if we didn't get Bogdan, we still had a pretty good wing rotation in Cam, Dunn, Huerter, Hunter and Solo.  Not sure what other wing FAs we targeted but if Capela doesn't get healthy we are in trouble.  It's not the end of the world, but with 20/20 hindsight it doesn't look great and wasn't particularly thrilling without that hindsight.  Maybe it is just my overall bias as someone who viewed Dedmon as a significant value as far as vet leadership and team structure. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Even if we didn't get Bogdan, we still had a pretty good wing rotation in Cam, Dunn, Huerter, Hunter and Solo.  Not sure what other wing FAs we targeted but if Capela doesn't get healthy we are in trouble.  It's not the end of the world, but with 20/20 hindsight it doesn't look great and wasn't particularly thrilling without that hindsight.  Maybe it is just my overall bias as someone who viewed Dedmon as a significant value as far as vet leadership and team structure. 

Solo was the last guy added right?  At the time we traded for Snell we didn't have Bogdan and Solo and i'm not sure about Dunn but Dunn is really a PG who can't shoot.   Their goal was to upgrade shooting at the wing so if we don't land Bogdan then we would have been in trouble in terms of wing guys who can knock down the 3 especially if one or more of Cam/Heurter/Hunter are out which is looking really likely so far.    I think they threw a lot of lines out and probably caught more than they expected but that's much better than the opposite.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Solo was the last guy added right?  At the time we traded for Snell we didn't have Bogdan and Solo and i'm not sure about Dunn but Dunn is really a PG who can't shoot.   Their goal was to upgrade shooting at the wing so if we don't land Bogdan then we would have been in trouble in terms of wing guys who can knock down the 3 especially if one or more of Cam/Heurter/Hunter are out which is looking really likely so far.    I think they threw a lot of lines out and probably caught more than they expected but that's much better than the opposite.

The Dedmon/Snell trade occurred prior to FAcy.

Lots of hurting to open the season.  Hawks have 2 players on 2 way contracts.  I expect to see both dressed out and, chances are, both will see action tonight.

Still, all in all, I like what we have on the floor tonight better than our opening roster last season.  

:hi: