• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I despise generic ho-hum meh plain unis at an NBA level unless you're one of those few teams who actually won a championship wearing one of them. That fact is what raises the look from generic ho-hum meh plain to "classic." Otherwise, calling your generic ho-hum meh plain unis "classic" is just a fraud.

In 2020, we've decided to forego any previous uniform element that could be uniquely associated with the Atlanta Hawks, and attempt to pretend that we won a championship in the 1970s.

LWR_Recording.png

Danny Roundfield was great, but we never even sniffed championship. Steve Hawes and Fast Eddie Johnson were really good, but we weren't sniffing then, either.

EDIT: Something about your uni ought to be uniquely your own city's and/or your own franchise's.

In the NBA, at least.

To settle for generic ho-hum meh plain blah is to... well... settle. It's okay at a high school level. It's acceptable at a college or G-league level.

But it should matter to you at the highest level to wear something that NBA fans immediately recognize independent of having to read the words on the jersey.

But last night, seeing the team in those black unis, I noticed something that galled me just a little more than I was already galled... that big yellow stripe running down each side is a different shade of yeller than the orangish-yeller that otherwise is part of the mix. Uh. Yuck.

LWR_Recording.png

These unis can't disappear fast enough

EDIT: ... to that world where generic ho-hum meh plain is actually something they get excited about... and no doubt, where black and white TV is the rage.

Working theory... the next uni is already designed and ready for production as soon as it's allowed (5 years?), and this is just the set-up so that people are absolutely starved for something else.

"New" doesn't mean better. It just means "new." And in this case, it's just a revision of the Roundfields.

So it's old.

Did I mention it's "blah?" Yeah. Add blah.

And, as said, given the clashing hot-mess yellers... "yuck."

EDIT #2: Have noticed, no one has ever disputed any of the reasoning. They just prefer to ignore any of that, and conclude they like 'em anyway.

*smh*

Edited by sturt
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I despise generic ho-hum meh plain unis at an NBA level unless you're one of those few teams who actually won a championship wearing one of them. That fact is what raises the look from generic ho-hum meh plain to "classic." Otherwise, calling your generic ho-hum meh plain unis "classic" is just a fraud.

In 2020, we've decided to forego any previous uniform element that could be uniquely associated with the Atlanta Hawks, and attempt to pretend that we won a championship in the 1970s.

LWR_Recording.png

Danny Roundfield was great, but we never even sniffed championship. Steve Hawes and Fast Eddie Johnson were really good, but we weren't sniffing then, either.

But last night, seeing the team in those black unis, I noticed something that galled me just a little more than I was already galled... that big yellow stripe running down each side is a different shade of yeller than the orangish-yeller that otherwise is part of the mix. Uh. Yuck.

LWR_Recording.png

These unis can't disappear fast enough.

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

You done lost your mind. Those unis are 🔥 

I'm not the biggest fan of the black unis but I'm also red/green colorblind so the different shades of yellow don't stand out to me (and frankly are hard for me to differentiate from volt green).

DON'T GET TOO LOW WHEN YOUR TEAM SUFFERS A LOSS!

DON'T GET TOO HIGH WHEN YOUR TEAM WINS A GAME!

There is a rumor that the Hawks got a player with the #6 draft pick this fall.  Whether this is true or not, no one knows.  He is injured, they say.  No one seems to have seen him.  No film.  No pictures.  He is listed as Onyeka Okongwu.  Agent 0017 !

Hawk fans are sky high after the Bulls game.  Everything went as planned.  Shots went in on a regular basis and Atlanta played some defense.  Returning to Memphis where, in pre season, just a few days ago, the Hawks were made to look like a poor G League team. 

Sure would be nice to come home with a perfect 2-0 record.

:sun: 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

First Capela, Now Gallo(left foot contusion) ...SMH...Sigh.

Does Bruno start?

I don't want to ever hear the phrase too much front court depth on the Hawks again!  Or you can't have too many wings but you can have too many big men so STFU Brad Rowland!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

First Capela, Now Gallo(left foot contusion) ...SMH...Sigh.

Does Bruno start?

We knew Gallo was injury prone going in. I'm just surprised he got hurt this soon after looking fine last game. Bruno needs to take advantage of this opportunity. No more playing scared. He's too strong and athletic to be what he's been so far and I don't know how many chances he's going to get before he ends up buried at the end of the bench.

• Like 2

Geez man, cmon. They need to stop babying these guys. Little nics and nacs are going to happen, contusion is medical jargon for a bruise. That's it. A bruised foot because he fell down making that layup or somebody stepped on his foot. He is fine. 

Covid times has taught us tomorrow isnt promised. I wished we would err on the side of urgency for once and not sit half the team just to play it safe.

• Like 1

Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

Geez man, cmon. They need to stop babying these guys. Little nics and nacs are going to happen, contusion is medical jargon for a bruise. That's it. A bruised foot because he fell down making that layup or somebody stepped on his foot. He is fine. 

Covid times has taught us tomorrow isnt promised. I wished we would err on the side of urgency for once and not sit half the team just to play it safe.

This medical team is and has always been extremely safe but we need Capela at least for this game. Bruno being our only big outside of JC feels so last year 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This medical team is and has always been extremely safe but we need Capela at least for this game. Bruno being our only big outside of JC feels so last year 

I think we are a little too cautious with injuries. Sometimes you gotta tough it out and play ball. 

11 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I'm with you 100%! I'm surprised to hear this opinion though.

• Premium Member

The cynical side of me really wonders if we're using nagging injuries right now as a way to try out different sets of rotation players.  Obviously we could do that with everyone dressed out so idk why this would be the case but it feels suspicious.... I have not seen any of our guys suffer an injury on the court and all of these seems completely subjective day to day rulings from the medical staff.  Like why is Gallo suddenly injured?  Capela has history but looked 100% in the 4 preseason games and I didn't see him limping or anything like that...