• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Breaking news: Lakers on the verge of being a play-in team.

In other, totally unrelated, breaking news: Lebron thinks the play-in tournament is a terrible idea.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47v5hmpchg3zq5zdmls2

Speaking of LeBron...just give the man the trophy - the Oscar trophy that is.:laugh1:

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sheesh, that's a lotta likeable(sic) dudes.  Who's the 'bazemore' on the list though?

'Member he was like top 5 in T's his last year starting for us?  I keep remembering thinking, "Dude you suck, why TF are you getting T's at that level?"

My money's on Brooks.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Sheesh, that's a lotta likeable(sic) dudes.  Who's the 'bazemore' on the list though?

'Member he was like top 5 in T's his last year starting for us?  I keep remembering thinking, "Dude you suck, why TF are you getting T's at that level?"

My money's on Brooks.

yep. him.

Also John Wall has missed so many games and he's high on the list.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

yep. him.

Also John Wall has missed so many games and he's high on the list.

And how (not) fun must it be to watch that Zards team with Westbrook and Bertans(huh, who are you?) complaining.  And I'm sure Beal isn't too far down the list either.

Tonight's games that are relevant to us

Hornets vs Pistons, Charlotte likely wins

Phoenix vs Cavs, Im looking to see if Cavs can make them work and use their starters for a full game ahead of playing us tomorrow. If they blowout the Cavs, then they get to rest and the B2B advantage becomes weaker.

Bucks v Nets, obvious reasons

Mavs vs Heat, let me see, I hate Luka, but I really need the Heat to fall back. 

Side note:

Washington is making a strong push to catch and pass Indy and potentially Charlotte. Look out for them, if they make the 7/8 game, they are sending somebody home. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

The end of this season is going to be crazy.   One of Knicks/Hawks/Heat/Celtics will be in the play in tourny.   We need to make sure it's not us.  If it's the Celtics it'll just be another nail in the play in experiment coffin.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

The end of this season is going to be crazy.   One of Knicks/Hawks/Heat/Celtics will be in the play in tourny.   We need to make sure it's not us.  If it's the Celtics it'll just be another nail in the play in experiment coffin.  

I know everyone is up in arms regarding the play-in games, but I have not been this interested in the end of the season where games matter in a long time.  Teams trying to be in the top 6, teams trying to avoid the 7 and 8 spots, teams trying to be in spots 9 and 10, teams not sitting stars to rest since seedings are still up for grabs (even for the top teams in each conference). Stars whining about the playin. I am interested in what other teams are doing, rooting for certain teams to win to give the Hawks an advantage and feeling dirty about it 😆.  Seeds 4-10 all up in the air in the East, Seeds 5-10 in the West all up for grabs.

I'm loving it all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The part I'm loving is all the players/coaches complaining.  I've been saying for years that stuff like this will be the fruit of the player empowerment era.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.  You can't have record-$etting deals (tv deals for governors, salary for players) but perform less.  That makes no sense.  Eventually you have to pay the piper (i.e. the fans).

If players/teams had been professional and come out to compete for all 82 games, there would be no need for the play-in stuff.  Organizations punting on half, or more, of their seasons make the product unwatchable.  Play-in minimizes that to a tremendous degree.  And I think more is coming.

I'm all for players having a voice and exercising power to maximize their employment opportunities, their money, etc.   And I understand teams providing room for it.

But you have to balance that off with an understanding that basketball is the 'main thing' and if that goes away then you're basically just that dude in the grocery store where everybody goes, "Dang that dude's tall."

** And, to be clear, I'm talking about basketball-related stuff taking away from the product.  I'm not speaking to the social justice stuff as that's something completely different.

• Like 3

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The part I'm loving is all the players/coaches complaining.  I've been saying for years that stuff like this will be the fruit of the player empowerment era.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.  You can't have record-$etting deals (tv deals for governors, salary for players) but perform less.  That makes no sense.  Eventually you have to pay the piper (i.e. the fans).

If players/teams had been professional and come out to compete for all 82 games, there would be no need for the play-in stuff.  Organizations punting on half, or more, of their seasons make the product unwatchable.  Play-in minimizes that to a tremendous degree.  And I think more is coming.

I'm all for players having a voice and exercising power to maximize their employment opportunities, their money, etc.   And I understand teams providing room for it.

But you have to balance that off with an understanding that basketball is the 'main thing' and if that goes away then you're basically just that dude in the grocery store where everybody goes, "Dang that dude's tall."

** And, to be clear, I'm talking about basketball-related stuff taking away from the product.  I'm not speaking to the social justice stuff as that's something completely different.

I haven't looked it up but does finishing 9/10 but then making the 8 seed affect your draft or lottery position?  If so then we may end up with teams in the play in that don't even try to win.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, macdaddy said:

The idea of both Luka and Lebron failing to make the real playoffs is hilarious and exciting.   It will also get the play in tournament killed off real quick like.

I think they are both going to sneak in. But they might be first round exits. We might be a first round exit as well. 

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I haven't looked it up but does finishing 9/10 but then making the 8 seed affect your draft or lottery position?  If so then we may end up with teams in the play in that don't even try to win.

Yup, the team will get the best nonlottery pick if they are the worst of the playoff teams. 

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I think they are both going to sneak in. But they might be first round exits. We might be a first round exit as well. 

We might win it all.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I don't know the answer and, since I'm a snobby fan of a team that no longer worries about the lottery, I'm not looking it up. 🤓

I think the shame of being a tank-play-in team should be enough to avoid the problem of laying down like that.