• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Do you still feel that way about all these guys after having seen them play NBA games? Just asking. 

Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, Okoro, Deni, Nesmith, Haliburton - yeah.  I like all of their upside better.

Hayes, I still like...but haven't seen enough with the injury and all.  I'd still go back and take him.  After Ball, he was the guy I was locked in on and slightly ahead of Haliburton.

Vassell...and Toppin?  I'm in the dark.  Both were on the fringe of my list, Toppin even more so for the same reasons I'm not excited about...what are we calling our guy? LOL  Is it Gwu?  Kong? OK? 0017?  OO?  Has he even earned a nickname yet? lol  His whole name is a nickname.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Wretch said:

what are we calling our guy? LOL  Is it Gwu?  Kong? OK? 0017?  OO?  Has he even earned a nickname yet? lol  His whole name is a nickname.

:laugh1: yes, all of the above.  I think in time one will stick.   Like Huerter and Red Velvet - never thought that one would stick.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

For what it's worth, maybe hopefully nothing...

I seem to recall the last time the Hawks drafted a somewhat undersized center at #6, or was it #5... it was in a draft that was widely considered lacking talent at the top... and our choice didn't turn many heads through his his rookie season... but then, he closed strong, ending the season with a 20-ish point 10-ish rebound game... and many were inspired/persuaded to believe.

tenor.gif

In fairness, King has springs for legs, where Shellhead's thighs were really better built for some NFL o-line. And he's quite a bit younger. And he has the great benefit of playing behind one of the league's best centers, so the pressure is squelched compared to what it was in 2006-07 for the other guy.

• Premium Member
On 5/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Bruno is also a victim of lack of development.  In his rookie year, Bruno showed some of the same flashes that Okongwu has shown.  Offensively, I'd say he slightly showed more versatility with his 5 three point makes and 49 assists.  Okongwu on offense, is simply being asked to rim run, which is great for his skill set and makes him more efficient that Bruno.  It is the right thing at this time, to be playing Okongwu ahead of Bruno.

Having said that, the Hawks not sending a team to the G-League bubble hurt Bruno, Knight, Mays, and probably Okongwu as well.  We will know that we have fully matured as a franchise, when our young players start going to the G-League, develop, and come back to the main roster as contributors.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/6/2021 at 8:09 PM, Final_quest said:

After seeing his backboard shaking gorilla dunks last night I am solidly in favor of Kong.  King KongWu if it's a formal occasion.  

I don't know if that nickname is gonna stick. Any correlation that has to do with black people and primates will go south even if there are positive intentions. 

Viewer discretion for the below.

Spoiler

5bb581652400003200566644.jpeg?ops=scalef

This one was very controversial.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Speaking for me... of Scot-Irish heritage, and degree of melanin commensurate with that... I'd appreciate hearing my more-melanin-infused friends here weigh-in with @aali34's comment, which I think is much more likely legit than not.

• Like 1

I don't think it's fair to compare Gwu to Shellhead... I think they're very different just coming out of college. 

Shellhead was a 4 year senior if I recall correctly, with those short ass arms and no athleticism. Duke's strong recruiting classes year after year made him look better than he was. When I read reports that we gave him the promised, I decided I wasn't even gonna watch the draft. That's the only draft I've not watched. I hated that pick so much. Way more than Marvin. 

GWU on the other hand -- young, athletic, oozing with defensive potential. Has length. I was fine with that pick. He's got room to grow. 

My .02

• Like 2
  • Haha 2