• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Great game from OO last night.

The key for him is experience. He was obviously overwhelmed at the speed of the game and a step slow coming off injury. The more comfortable he gets, the better he's going to look. Everything he did well at USC translates to the NBA. He blocks shots, rebounds, and has good touch around the rim. He actually has a really high motor, but him over thinking and hesitating too much trying not to make mistakes hid that. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hawkman said:

The key for him is experience. He was obviously overwhelmed at the speed of the game and a step slow coming off injury. The more comfortable he gets, the better he's going to look. Everything he did well at USC translates to the NBA. He blocks shots, rebounds, and has good touch around the rim. He actually has a really high motor, but him over thinking and hesitating too much trying not to make mistakes hid that. 

And Lloyd not giving him early playing time. Luckily for us, his confidence never wavers. Just needs time on the floor. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I'm embarrassed,

I mean I really am, that our people have grabbed on to a Hall of Famer nickname and have applied it to a rookie.

I was never a fan of any Big O team, but Hall of Famers are sacred.

When you disrespect a Hall of Famer as I've seen our coach and our GM do--I thought it was just limited to the social media flunkee putting up tweets--this is not okay.

I really don't get it, because certainly McM and Schlenk are smart guys, and honorable guys. I'm sure they mean no offense. But then.... how smart can a person be if they fail to make that connection and recognize almost instantly like most of us seem to, and make a decision of conscience to use something else?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm embarrassed,

I mean I really am, that our people have grabbed on to a Hall of Famer nickname and have applied it to a rookie.

When you disrespect a Hall of Famer as I've seen our coach and our GM do--I thought it was just limited to the social media flunkee putting up tweets--this is not okay.

I really don't get it, because certainly McM and Schlenk are smart guys, and honorable guys. I'm sure they mean no offense. But then.... how smart can a person be if they fail to make that connection and recognize almost instantly like most of us seem to, and make a decision of conscience to use something else?

If he becomes good then he can get his own nickname, but right now he's not relevant enough for it to matter.

5 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm embarrassed,

I don't think this matters, like not even a little bit, to anyone but you. Just saying man, I think you are blowing this WAY out of proportion. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I don't think this matters, like not even a little bit, to anyone but you. Just saying man, I think you are blowing this WAY out of proportion. 

We talked about it in a previous thread but I agree this should be off limits.  Don’t call DeAndre Jordan “Air Jordan.”  Don’t call someone “Magic” or “Dr J” or “the Dream” or etc.  Come up with your own nickname so you aren’t like an LCC company trading on the brand name with your inferior knockoff.  

It isn’t that big of a thing at the end of the day but it is bad form, imo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

We talked about it in a previous thread but I agree this should be off limits.  Don’t call DeAndre Jordan “Air Jordan.”  Don’t call someone “Magic” or “Dr J” or “the Dream” or etc.  Come up with your own nickname so you aren’t like an LCC company trading on the brand name with your inferior knockoff.  

It isn’t that big of a thing at the end of the day but it is bad form, imo.

But is Gwu calling himself that or are other people? Pretty sure it's the latter. So we can't blame this on Gwu.

And in that sense, a guy like Nate McMillan who has been a long time player and then a long time coach in the NBA, if HE doesn't have a problem with it, along with the other people in the organization, then I'm not seeing where we fans have much ground to stand on and complain about it. 

But then again, I could care less if someone else was called air jordan, the dream, etc... I guess I can just add this to the long list of things people complain about that don't bother me in the slightest.

🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

But is Gwu calling himself that or are other people? Pretty sure it's the latter. So we can't blame this on Gwu.

And in that sense, a guy like Nate McMillan who has been a long time player and then a long time coach in the NBA, if HE doesn't have a problem with it, along with the other people in the organization, then I'm not seeing where we fans have much ground to stand on and complain about it. 

But then again, I could care less if someone else was called air jordan, the dream, etc... I guess I can just add this to the long list of things people complain about that don't bother me in the slightest.

🤷‍♂️ 

I’m not targeting OO.  I’m saying anyone using that label other than the Big O is like some new rapper calling themselves Snoop Dogg.  You didn’t make that name what it is.  Bad form.

Starting to see what TS and @Spud2nique have been seeing in him now. Helps to have Lou handling the ball when 00 is on the floor of course. Assists and points in bunches by the PnR with those two moving forward.   

• Like 4

OO starting to get more comfortable and has a more defined role with Nate in charge. Why I never took those "did we make the right pick" post seriously. Meanwhile in GS, fans already having buyer's remorse. We got the best big in the draft.

• Like 2