• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes, but data shows that rookie year performance is a better indicator of future success than age, or college experience.

I don't know what to tell you if you want to remove all context from the guys situation... no offseason training, near-zero team practices, recovering from injury, and then thrust into live NBA games for very limited minutes at a time... what do you expect lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

100%, I wish the G-league wasn't seen as a demotion or something for lottery picks.  He could use the game time and feedback and confidence that comes with playing more and getting comfortable.  I still think he's a good pick and will blossom into a great player -- he seems to have the work ethic and attitude which imo is like 80% of it.

Work ethic and attitude is not 80%. That's a nice sounding maxim and all, and those things do matter if course. But God given athletic talent, size and skill are first and foremost. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Work ethic and attitude is not 80%. That's a nice sounding maxim and all, and those things do matter if course. But God given athletic talent, size and skill are first and foremost. 

Yeah, for sure, but for lottery picks almost all of those guys already have the talent, size and skill, which is why they're lottery picks.

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't know what to tell you if you want to remove all context from the guys situation... no offseason training, near-zero team practices, recovering from injury, and then thrust into live NBA games for very limited minutes at a time... what do you expect lol

I hope you're right. But there is substantial data showing that rookies who struggle mightily their rookie year are more likely to be busts than suddenly figure it in out years later and become a star. Hopefully, OO will be the exception.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. He's played 16 games, hardly a 'rookie year'

2. Our very own Clint Capela played 12 games as a rookie. Good thing his rookie season wasn't a sign of things to come.

3. How'd Cam look his 1st 16 games? 

Other notable bigs that didn't have rookie seasons to remember: Rudy Gobert, Tyson Chandler, Nikola Vucevic

All I'm saying is - after 16 games, I have no determination on what he'll eventually be or not based on the Covid and injury circumstances he faced.

No doubt.  Can't believe we're even having this discussion and if there is no questioning he has the athletic ability.   Dude has a motor and strength and agility.   Just got to hone it.  

• Like 4

On 3/4/2021 at 4:40 PM, bleachkit said:

Looking like the next Shelden Williams so far. 

He's much more athletic than Shelden, but not as strong. It's his lack of strength that will be his detriment playing the 5.  Most of the centers in the NBA are bigger and taller than him, so he must be able to bang against them to get rebounds.

If he displays some more skills, especially a decent midrange jumper, we may have something here on offense.

• Like 1

With Okongwu listed at 6-8 . . . 235 lbs, you have to wonder WTF Schlenk was thinking, if he were looking for a center. 

Was Okongwu considered the best player available on the board?  Was he considered to be Collins' replacement at PF, if the Hawks didn't re-sign him? 

If so, cool.  But don't expect him to be a star as a center.  He's the traditional size of a PF.  Okongwu moves well out in open space and playing help defense around the rim.  And he goes up quick when he catches the ball around the rim.

27 minutes ago, Q45T said:

Haven’t seen enough of him to really judge his play but I can tell you now that he’s better than Adreian Payne... 🤢

Notable players picked AFTER Adreian Payne at #15

• #41 - Nikola Jokic
  • #25 - Clint Capela
  • #46 - Jordan Clarkson
  • #27 - Bogdan Bogdanovic
  • #38 - Spencer Dinwiddie
  • #19 - Gary Harris
  • #23 - Rodney Hood
  • #33 - Joe Harris
  • #39 - Jeremi Grant

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

I hope he turns out great.  He seems to have Josh Smith talent.  

I wanted someone else.  My man has already won rookie of the month, December/January and rookie of the month, February.  (Western Division)

I hope Agent OO17 becomes even better than that.  He may get a few minutes here and there this season but he should really shine next season if he gets to play summer league and pre season..

:sun:

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

1. He's played 16 games, hardly a 'rookie year'

2. Our very own Clint Capela played 12 games as a rookie. Good thing his rookie season wasn't a sign of things to come.

3. How'd Cam look his 1st 16 games? 

Other notable bigs that didn't have rookie seasons to remember: Rudy Gobert, Tyson Chandler, Nikola Vucevic

All I'm saying is - after 16 games, I have no determination on what he'll eventually be or not based on the Covid and injury circumstances he faced.

Cam sucks though lol.

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2021 at 5:54 PM, bleachkit said:

Yes, but data shows that rookie year performance is a better indicator of future success than age, or college experience.

Thoroughly debatable, but I'll grant it for one purpose: Okongwu looks just fine for a rookie big. He's contributing on defense in several ways (rebounds, steals, blocks), isn't turning the ball over at crazy rates, and is reasonably efficient. 

The foul rate is high, but it's a pretty good indication the game hasn't slowed down for him. If it does, he's going to be worth the selection at #6. 

Long-term, I'm most concerned about the lack of playmaking between OO, Collins, and Capela.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, bleachkit said:

I hope you're right. But there is substantial data showing that rookies who struggle mightily their rookie year are more likely to be busts than suddenly figure it in out years later and become a star. Hopefully, OO will be the exception.

Didn't Hunter struggle his rookie season?

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't Hunter struggle his rookie season?

Yeah he did.  Particularly with fouling.  It takes experience.   OO is 6'8" but i think his reach makes him able to rebound effectively against bigger guys.  Bruno is just slightly taller.

Plus i think we all still think in terms of NBA height numbers from 10-20 years ago which were all exaggerated.   Centers 6'8" to 6'10" isn't that unusual anymore.  They need to be strong more than anything.  

• Like 3

On 3/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Spud2nique said:

All NBA defense team Okongwu in 2-4 years Book it! 

3 blocks tonight! It’s coming, he’s just a rookie that picks his spots. He’s gonna be an anchor for us in due time. He’s a young beast, wait till he gets in shape. Yeeeee! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

We just might have the next Nerlens Noel. Im trying to get excited about that.

Or Big Ben. His measurements as a pro: 6'9" in shoes,  240 Lbs,  and a 7'2" wingspan.

• Like 4