• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

Teams are starting to sign players for camp deals.  Maybe by the end of the week Atlanta adds the last 2 players for camp.  Hopefully 1 of those will be another Big who can compete with Hamilton for that last roster spot.  Johnny seems decent enough to hold down the 3rd string center position till Okungwu gets ready.  Would love to have He & Hartenstein battle for that non-guaranteed deal.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Teams are starting to sign players for camp deals.  Maybe by the end of the week Atlanta adds the last 2 players for camp.  Hopefully 1 of those will be another Big who can compete with Hamilton for that last roster spot.  Johnny seems decent enough to hold down the 3rd string center position till Okungwu gets ready.  Would love to have He & Hartenstein battle for that non-guaranteed deal.  

Hamilton is not getting an NBA deal unless he absolutely blows everyone's mind during training camp. I just can't imagine TS burning that last spot (even on a non-guaranteed contract) on a 27-year-old who couldn't even crack the rotation in Turkey or start in the Montenegran league last year. I can't imagine it'll be much different for other guys who we invite to training camp. I think they're playing for a shot at getting a longer look down in College Park at this point. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, AHF said:
On 9/7/2021 at 5:31 PM, kg01 said:

Bos fans keep saying they're set up to trade for a star.  I dont see that at all so I posed the question to see if I'm missing something.

They’ve been saying that for a decade and they were right about being lined up to do it at one point.  But Danny chose to keep his cards and passed on the big moves and so now those days have passed unless they want to trade star for star

Actually, they did trade for a star - Kyrie - but unfortunately the outcome was not what they hoped for. But I agree, Ainge had a treasure trove of assets and overplayed his hand - trying to win every trade by a landslide. By the time he realized it, it was too late and all he had was mediocre picks and unproven young talent to dangle.

Edited by lynred

1 hour ago, niremetal said:

Hamilton is not getting an NBA deal unless he absolutely blows everyone's mind during training camp. I just can't imagine TS burning that last spot (even on a non-guaranteed contract) on a 27-year-old who couldn't even crack the rotation in Turkey or start in the Montenegran league last year. I can't imagine it'll be much different for other guys who we invite to training camp. I think they're playing for a shot at getting a longer look down in College Park at this point. 

I don't think Hamilton needs to blow everyone's mind to get an NBA deal, just be able to rebound and play some solid defense.  I doubt he is looking for a G League deal since he played there in 18/19 season.   If he is that bad, then Shlenk needs to bring in another "big" because Capela & Dieng alone will not suffice until OO gets back.  We never know when Capella might get injured or have to miss some games.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, lynred said:

Actually, they did trade for a star - Kyrie - but unfortunately the outcome was not what they hoped for. But I agree, Ainge had a treasure trove of assets and overplayed his hand - trying to win every trade by a landslide. By the time he realized it, it was too late and all he had was mediocre picks and unproven young talent to dangle.

Kyrie is an elite supporting member of a team.  He has never been a star first option.  My guess is that he never will be.  (He’ll either be the #1 on an inconsequential team or continue in roles like today as the #3 option on the Nets putting up great efficient scoring numbers while defenses gear up to stop Durant and Harden and leave him as the beneficiary of that diminished attention). But I think your comment is fair since they hoped they were trading for a star when they did the deal.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

I don't think Hamilton needs to blow everyone's mind to get an NBA deal, just be able to rebound and play some solid defense.  I doubt he is looking for a G League deal since he played there in 18/19 season.   If he is that bad, then Shlenk needs to bring in another "big" because Capela & Dieng alone will not suffice until OO gets back.  We never know when Capella might get injured or have to miss some games.

Sorry, but guys don't just go from Montenegran League rejects to NBA rosters without something that triggers a pretty radical change in their valuation.

What Hamilton is "looking for" doesn't matter as much as what teams are willing to give him. No one is offering him a roster spot, so he's not in a position to turn his nose at a G-League offer if he wants to stay stateside. 

Capela and Dieng will be just fine for 3 months. Collins can slide over to the 5 as needed, like he did last year. Even Gallo can play the 5 in a pinch. Small ball is a better option than being forced to play a scrub. If one of the two true centers gets hurt for an extended period, we can cross that bridge when we come to it and probably find someone better than Hamilton on the waiver wire.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Capela and Dieng will be just fine for 4 months. Collins can slide over to the 5 as needed, like he did last year.

Yep.

And just an observation, compelled by no one in particular.... the only thing that surprises me more than that Travis Schlenk has so reliably admitted to wanting to do what he, in fact, eventually did... is that there continues to be fans who don't really seem to pick up on that, and who either don't pay attention to his words, or who hear/read them but disregard them as-if not actually revealing.

In this case, he has told us what he wants to do with that last standard contract slot. (ICYMI... see previous page of this thread for screenshot).

14 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Sorry, but guys don't just go from Montenegran League rejects to NBA rosters without something that triggers a pretty radical change in their valuation.

What Hamilton is "looking for" doesn't matter as much as what teams are willing to give him. No one is offering him a roster spot, so he's not in a position to turn his nose at a G-League offer if he wants to stay stateside. 

Capela and Dieng will be just fine for 3 months. Collins can slide over to the 5 as needed, like he did last year. Even Gallo can play the 5 in a pinch. Small ball is a better option than being forced to play a scrub. If one of the two true centers gets hurt for an extended period, we can cross that bridge when we come to it and probably find someone better than Hamilton on the waiver wire.

Why not bring in someone decent now if they are available?  It doesn't have to be Hamilton it could be someone else, Hartenstein etc.  I just don't like being thin at a position, but that's just my opinion on it.

29 minutes ago, niremetal said:

And Jalen Johnson as a small ball 5 as a last resort....lol

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

Why not bring in someone decent now if they are available?  It doesn't have to be Hamilton it could be someone else, Hartenstein etc.  I just don't like being thin at a position, but that's just my opinion on it.

Definitely a reasonable position. But my take (and presumably TS's, since he seems in no rush to fill that last spot) is that there's no real difference between the guys left on the market now and the guys we'd be able to scoop up in a few weeks or months, if we get hit with a frontcourt injury. Better to keep the flexibility than tie up a roster spot with a guy who, if we ever had to actually play him in situations that mattered, we'd be in trouble.

• Thanks 2

Question:  Who signed Johnny Hamilton?  I believe it was Travis.

We praise Travis for the job he has done with the Hawks roster.  And, He deserves all these good words.  Yet, here we are.  Jumping up and down, declaring that, when he signed this player, that he didn't know what he was doing.  We all know that there were so many much better options.

Bull feathers.  He was released from his overseas team so that he could come to the USA and try for a deal with some NBA team.  I like this story better than the one saying he was kicked off, don't you.

So, if he is a complete flop, we can all blame Travis.  What if he's not a flop?  What if he becomes an OK player and sticks around?  After all, he wasn't signed to become a star.  Not even a starter.  All of us wanted a big man.  He's a big man.  Lets wait and see what we have before we go off the deep end.

Finally, the question becomes:  "Does Travis know what he is doing?"

:smug:

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, niremetal said:

keep the flexibility

12 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

bring in someone decent now if they are available

Yes. To both. Problem solved...

2021-09-09_08-01-55.png

That Travis Schlenk is genius.

And working theory here, fwiw, is that he's not joined the rush to fill what's left of his roster allotment because he has the luxury of waiting to see what fallout there might be from the impending Ben Simmons trade... patience being a virtue. And too, he's waiting to let some vets get cut like Tristan Thompson and Al Farouq Aminu and.... who knows... there's routinely some surprise cut that no one saw coming.

Just genius.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Johnny Hamilton's current (E10) contract essentially commits him to play for College Park and to show up for training camp. If we want to actually play him in ATL, it's my understanding we actually have to sign him to an actual big league contract of some kind--either standard or two-way. There are only the 15 plus 2 that a team can put on the floor.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, sturt said:

And too, he's waiting to let some vets get cut like Tristan Thompson and Al Farouq Aminu and.... who knows... there's routinely some surprise cut that no one saw coming.

Whoa.

Didn't realize the deadline is tomorrow.

Guess some things will come into focus shortly, or not at all, then.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/09/saturday-is-deadline-for-teams-to-stretch-2021-22-salaries.html

• Like 1

Interesting trivia:  With all the three point shooting that is going on in today's NBA, who has hit the most threes for the Hawks?

Mookie Blaylock, known more for his defense, in his seven years as a Hawk, he averaged 2 a game and has 1050 for the record.  Who would have thought that..........

:hi:

• Like 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Interesting trivia:  With all the three point shooting that is going on in today's NBA, who has hit the most threes for the Hawks?

Mookie Blaylock, known more for his defense, in his seven years as a Hawk, he averaged 2 a game and has 1050 for the record.  Who would have thought that..........

:hi:

That is interesting.  There is a very good chance that Trae breaks that record before he is a FA.