• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Dear Ask Supes:

With so many teams making deals and so many rumors bouncing around, is it possible that the Atlanta Hawks are as good coming into this next season as we here on the Squawk believe?  Or, are we as poor as some "experts" say?

We believe that we were good and advanced to "tied for 3rd" in last season's playoffs.  We believe we are even better right now.  Others believe we were simply lucky. 

All the eastern teams yelling. "We're better!  We've improved a lot!"  Hawks are quietly going about their business.  Out west, The King is building a team of veterans, hoping for another ring.  Players hoping for just one more chance.  Their big question, "Can we keep everyone healthy?"

Are we good enough to go for the gold?  Are we so bad we will be lucky to make the playoffs?  Side note:  Those rumors keep appearing - - Reddish in the mix to get Ben Simmons a new home.  Why us?

🥰

All I got is Atlanta is great with what they got. Everyone on the same page knowing what their role is. That's about it. I know from previous convo Atlanta is not interested in Simmons anymore. I also know Reddish since he changed agents, he's in a good place with the FO. 

If we are any moves, it won't be till before ASB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, I would imagine we go deep into the season with that 15th roster spot still unfilled, for multiple reasons. We are so deep right now there is no need to fill that spot for what would likely be a bench warmer. 

First, for injury protection if we happen to have bad luck and lose multiple players at the same position we have an open spot to backfill some of those minutes. 

Second, near or after the trade deadline in case of injury/need more production from a spot when one of the ring chasing buyout candidates gets released later in the season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

if we happen to have bad luck and lose multiple players at the same position we have an open spot to backfill some of those minutes. 

58 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

in case of injury/need more production from a spot when one of the ring chasing buyout candidates gets released

A non-guaranteed deal, of course, resolves either of those concerns.

And if the season began today, the 5th big is Jalen Johnson... who, it's agreed, will get almost no time in that role, whereas he will get significant time in CP, of course.

Then there's this direct quote...

2021-09-05_21-58-00.png

So, there's more than decent reason to believe there will be a 15th man... probably a big... who will be signed at some point before the season starts, and probably before training camp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sturt said:

A non-guaranteed deal, of course, resolves either of those concerns.

And if the season began today, the 5th big is Jalen Johnson...

Hunter can play PF as well. And most of Solo's minutes last year came at the 4. So worst case scenario is Jalen could be the 6th or 7th big in rotation - for 3 or 4 months until Big O is back. 

And yeah, a non-guaranteed deal would resolve either of those concerns. But it leaves the major concern that what quality of a player would we be getting that would accept a deal like that? Almost assuredly someone that wouldn't surpass even a Jalen Johnson in the rotation. 

• Like 1

Jalen Johnson showed me enough that he is more than up to the task of being the "5th" big if we need him to be right now. We are 2 deep at every spot, there aren't many 3rd stringers in the NBA I would take over JJ. That includes Solo or Hunter playing out of position. 

Nate is going to have a hard enough time finding minutes for the top 10 rotation guys, I'm not concerned about the garbage/emergency minutes that JJ may get. Don't forget, Gallo's contract is expendable, so we are a lot closer to JJ being JC's primary backup than you think. Don't short sell the kid just because he is a rookie. His talent is eye popping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Don't short sell the kid just because he is a rookie. His talent is eye popping.

It truly is. We’ve had some great drafts since Schlenk has been here but from a value perspective, this may have been his biggest hit. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 8:45 PM, sturt said:

Not going anywhere.

Spurs traded for him. He's not going anywhere either.

But either Eubanks or Aminu likely are out, barring another trade--and Thad Young keeps showing up in bloggers' theories.

LAC gave up on him. And his summer league performance, or lack thereof, has some thinking CLE will as well.

Aminu and Tristan Thompson are veterans who some believe are destined for buyout. A buyout situation is ideal for what Schlenk wants to do since the player is already getting paid what he expected to be paid, and a non-guaranteed minimum deal would seem to be acceptable.

Your boy from 5 years ago got released. You want him or has the ship sailed? You were clamoring hard for him as I recall. Spot behind Wright?  He would have a shot at being the best 3rd string PG in the league I’d imagine.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264014/Clippers-Waive-Yogi-Ferrell

ps He isn’t the son of our Duane is he? 🤔 

Kevin Duane Ferrell Jr. 

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

it leaves the major concern that what quality of a player would we be getting that would accept a deal like that?

Answer: Probably Solo-like quality.

But better than having an empty seat.

And by your own words (and we agree), that's someone who will rarely get on the floor, so again, that's not ideal for the 1st round pick's development.

One more thing... major concern? It's a non-guaranteed deal. The team can cut if some other better option arises.

Newest thought, same as the old thought... just tweaked a little....

Schlenk would seem to be playing the long game, literally, and waiting to see how a Simmons (or any other deal) might shake things up, seeing if something really unanticipated falls into his lap. And as I've said before, no higher-quality vet is going to take our non-guaranteed minimum contract... unless, that is, he's been bought out, and thus making the same amount of money no matter what.

Here's my most pie-in-the-sky wish of those who are even barely in that universe of possible buy-outs (though I emphasize "sky" b/c for multiple reasons, I don't see it happening)...

Derrick Favors anyone?

Once the Simmons dust settles, and Schlenk can see clearly the options on the table, I look for someone like this guy to be available, and signed up...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

Isaiah Hartenstein?

Can't rule him out, but I've seen enough teams rumored to have interest that it seems more likely that Schlenk would have to get into a bidding war... and when you're determined to sign someone to a non-guaranteed deal, you're automatically at a severe disadvantage, right?

One thing that has happened since that TS quote above... Mays signed. So, if I'm not mistaken, he's got a smidge more room under the tax threshold to operate with (~$3m-ish?), since that appears to be a concern until this roster proves itself a top contender.

Question for our ... insiders ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47uh6fc4vpkur2mstwce

.. and outsiders .. 'cause maybe I'm dumb.

Let's assume WAS signs Beal for the sup'r max .. then he up and forces a trade to play with his "lil' bro" in Loston.

If you're WAS, what in the heyul would you want from Loston if they take Tatum/Brown off the table?

I don't care how many late 1sts or 2nds or even 3rds they glom on, there ain't no decent deal between these two teams that's not terrible for Washington.

Am I wrong?

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Question for our ... insiders ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47uh6fc4vpkur2mstwce

.. and outsiders .. 'cause maybe I'm dumb.

Let's assume WAS signs Beal for the sup'r max .. then he up and forces a trade to play with his "lil' bro" in Loston.

If you're WAS, what in the heyul would you want from Loston if they take Tatum/Brown off the table?

I don't care how many late 1sts or 2nds or even 3rds they glom on, there ain't no decent deal between these two teams that's not terrible for Washington.

Am I wrong?

I don't know how to answer your question. I don't think he can force his way to Boston unless WAS covets what BOS which isn't much of anything if Brown/Tatum aren't on the table. This is more of a personal question more than anything. 

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't know how to answer your question. I don't think he can force his way to Boston unless WAS covets what BOS which isn't much of anything if Brown/Tatum aren't on the table. This is more of a personal question more than anything. 

Bos fans keep saying they're set up to trade for a star.  I dont see that at all so I posed the question to see if I'm missing something.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, sturt said:

Answer: Probably Solo-like quality.

But better than having an empty seat.

And by your own words (and we agree), that's someone who will rarely get on the floor, so again, that's not ideal for the 1st round pick's development.

One more thing... major concern? It's a non-guaranteed deal. The team can cut if some other better option arises.

Newest thought, same as the old thought... just tweaked a little....

Schlenk would seem to be playing the long game, literally, and waiting to see how a Simmons (or any other deal) might shake things up, seeing if something really unanticipated falls into his lap. And as I've said before, no higher-quality vet is going to take our non-guaranteed minimum contract... unless, that is, he's been bought out, and thus making the same amount of money no matter what.

Here's my most pie-in-the-sky wish of those who are even barely in that universe of possible buy-outs (though I emphasize "sky" b/c for multiple reasons, I don't see it happening)...

Derrick Favors anyone?

Once the Simmons dust settles, and Schlenk can see clearly the options on the table, I look for someone like this guy to be available, and signed up...

Free agent C/F Harry Giles is signing a non-guaranteed deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, sources tell

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, terrell said:

non-guaranteed deal

Damn. So, he was a valid option then... not one of those demanding a guaranteed deal. But truth be told, there's still too many teams out there that have some minutes to offer someone like him, whereas we really are limited, of course.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Bos fans keep saying they're set up to trade for a star.  I dont see that at all so I posed the question to see if I'm missing something.

They’ve been saying that for a decade and they were right about being lined up to do it at one point.  But Danny chose to keep his cards and passed on the big moves and so now those days have passed unless they want to trade star for star.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, AHF said:

They’ve been saying that for a decade and they were right about being lined up to do it at one point.  But Danny chose to keep his cards and passed on the big moves and so now those days have passed unless they want to trade star for star.  

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
On 9/4/2021 at 10:45 PM, sturt said:

Aminu and Tristan Thompson are veterans who some believe are destined for buyout. A buyout situation is ideal for what Schlenk wants to do since the player is already getting paid what he expected to be paid, and a non-guaranteed minimum deal would seem to be acceptable.

2021-09-08_15-22-33.png

I prefer Aminu just b/c Tristan to me has too much off-court drama going on, too much potential for silly distractions. And I prefer Aminu just because it makes a nice story when guys with ATL ties "come home," particularly as their careers wind down. But under the scenario that the big is more of a 5 than a 4, it insulates JC from having to absorb some minutes there (thus, I was really rooting for that Giles thing to work out after all, but oh well).