• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Extension for John Collins

JTB

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

That's not really the point. 

The question is, "Do the Hawks want to pay him that?"  Looking at their off-season moves and future obligations, I don't get the impression they want to.

I'm trying to say this objectively and without being alarmist, but I'm not really having much luck, so I'll be more direct ---

They may just let him go.  That's an eventuality I don't think some of you are prepared for, but you need to at least consider it.

I can see it now: at the deadline the Hawks trade JC for a lottery protected 2021 Draft pick and some middling player with the 'potential' lable or next offseason when a team makes him an offer and the Hawks decline to match we'll end up with the talented TPE...good luck with that. 

I take no objection to the Hawks letting him get to RFAcy (as was a strong advocate when I didn't think we'd use all of our capspace this offseason) ....there are just several ways this can play out, and knowing Atlanta sports luck,  it makes me uneasy.

• Premium Member

One of John's best traits has always been that he's self-aware. That PED issue has come back to bite him and I'm certain that it's been communicated to him that the FO is not convinced at the sample sizes they've seen. If he's dissapointed he should also be dissapointed in himself that he fumbled last season.

Him and Trae definitely know that outside Atlanta they are viewed as stat stuffers on a bad team. This is his chance to prove otherwise.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I can see it now: at the deadline the Hawks trade JC for a lottery protected 2021 Draft pick and some middling player with the 'potential' lable or next offseason when a team makes him an offer and the Hawks decline to match we'll end up with the talented TPE...good luck with that. 

I take no objection to the Hawks letting him get to RFAcy (as was a strong advocate when I didn't think we'd use all of our capspace this offseason) ....there are just several ways this can play out, and knowing Atlanta sports luck,  it makes me uneasy.

Here's the thing about trading John. Wouldn't a team just wait for RFA? It's hard to see a trade happening. 

2 minutes ago, aali34 said:

One of John's best traits has always been that he's self-aware. That PED issue has come back to bite him and I'm certain that it's been communicated to him that the FO is not convinced at the sample sizes they've seen. If he's dissapointed he should also be dissapointed in himself that he fumbled last season.

Him and Trae definitely know that outside Atlanta they are viewed as stat stuffers on a bad team. This is his chance to prove otherwise.

Talent is hard to come by in this league. Elite stat stuffers get elite contracts. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

Here's the thing about trading John. Wouldn't a team just wait for RFA? It's hard to see a trade happening. 

Depends on the team doesn't it.  A team has to have the requisite capspace in order to make a RFAcy offer.  If you don't have capspace and want to trade for him his salary for this season is miniscule and then that team can exceed the cap to sign him as their own RFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Talent is hard to come by in this league. Elite stat stuffers get elite contracts. 

I agree, I personally wanted him extended. I'm just rationalizing the reason as to why not.

I guess they want him to prove he's not a Wiggins archetype?

Just now, aali34 said:

I agree, I personally wanted him extended. I'm just rationalizing the reason as to why not.

I guess they want him to prove he's not a Wiggins archetype?

Wiggins got a monster deal. It's easy to say as a fan "he's not worth a max, let him walk." Teams can't just let talent walk, and no team wants to be known as being cheap either.

• Premium Member

Wiggins got a monster deal. It's easy to say as a fan "he's not worth a max, let him walk." Teams can't just let talent walk, and no team wants to be known as being cheap either.

Wiggins was not worth it at all though. Especially at the expense of Jimmy. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The Hawks have had practice with both Horford and Milsap :ninja:

25 minutes ago, aali34 said:

I would say a lack of self awareness is why he's in this situation. 

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Hawks have had practice with both Horford and Milsap :ninja:

Well GMs are in a tough spot. They don't know for sure if a guy will stay or not. And let's say they do agree to trade their star on the last year of their deal, everyone will say "you traded an all star for that?" Getting outbid in free agency is less embarrassing than agreeing to a lack luster trade.

22 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I am 100% convinced he's Josh Smith. His perception on this site is FAR from the reality. He's not that damn good. He's clearly overpaid at 4/80, at what he wants, he must think he's Siakam or better which he actually thinks which is hilarious