• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Extension for John Collins

JTB

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here is a strong argument for why a team would trade for him:  They want him and don't think he would sign with them.  

When they trade for him they get the right to match any contract.  That control has real value.  There is a big difference between trading for a RFA and trading for an UFA in the last year of their contract if you view them as a long-term piece.

Also, if my CBA knowledge is correct, you get the players bird rights if you acquire them through a trade but not though FA, so the team will be able to go over the cap to resign him this coming offseason. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, JeffS17 said:

Also, if my CBA knowledge is correct, you get the players bird rights if you acquire them through a trade but not though FA, so the team will be able to go over the cap to resign him this coming offseason. 

That is correct.

They:

*  Have bird rights and can exceed the cap in a way they couldn't by signing him as a FA.

*  Ensure that Atlanta wont match their offer sheet.

*  Can match the offer from any other team if he prefers a different team or market.

Lots of reasons to trade for him if the Hawks decide to dangle him out there.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

Please pick an actual player who is as good or better than him.

I'm tired of reading BS like Jabari Parker comparisons and then hearing backtracking about how it isn't a direct comparison.  If it isn't a direct comparison, then pick someone who is at least as good as he is so you aren't flat out insulting people with these comparisons that are garbage on a direct basis.  Make the indirect point with someone as good or better.

There use to be a time when @AHF would defend @NBASupes hatred of John Collins.  I guess those days are long gone?

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, sturt said:

Hmmm... question answered.

By way of explanation... and just for the sake of establishing it's at least more realistic than some Giannis pipe dreams had been...

- In a scenario where Kawhi and LAC evolve to have an increasingly abrasive relationship where it become clear he would not be choosing to return, the obvious play is to consider trade deadline options.

- In terms of cap space, ATL could send out Collins, Snell, and about $12m more in salary, and that would suffice.

- In terms of fit, it would be almost imperative from an ATL standpoint that either Kong or Bruno would have established himself as a viable PF option, or perhaps that DHunt would have. From an LAC standpoint, I'd think it would be an exceptional acquisition for their long-term plans.

NOT advocating for this necessarily, btw... rather, just outlining what could conceivably develop.

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

yes lol every new thread collins gets downgraded a player tier by supes, so im going to start upgrading him one tier every thread.  Supes will have him struggling for a 2 way contract soon and I will be predicting him as the undisputed GOAT

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I can see it now: at the deadline the Hawks trade JC for a lottery protected 2021 Draft pick and some middling player with the 'potential' lable or next offseason when a team makes him an offer and the Hawks decline to match we'll end up with the talented TPE...good luck with that. 

I take no objection to the Hawks letting him get to RFAcy (as was a strong advocate when I didn't think we'd use all of our capspace this offseason) ....there are just several ways this can play out, and knowing Atlanta sports luck,  it makes me uneasy.

19 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I think this is on the money... feels very likely Collins has been seen as a trade piece for about a year now.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were actively shopping him in packages for an all-star.  I don't hate that either because Trae/Cam/Hunter/Capela is a nice core to build around and hopefully Heurter can improve a lot as well.  We spent money to start winning this offseason but the contracts like up nicely for when we will need to pay our young guys.  The more I think about it the more I will be surprised if Collins is still on this team in 2 years.

Capela is a huge disappointment as far as I'm concerned.  I thought he was supposed to be a great defender and shot blocker.  He blocked a couple of shots in the last preseason game, but that's about it.  People went around him at will.  He's not much on offense either.  I would hope no one considers him a part of our "core."

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Onyeka Okongwu of USC drafted No. 6 by the Atlanta Hawks – The Athletic

He's jacked for sure. 

He don't have his grown man strength yet.  He's going to get pushed all around the court.   Why don't you ask this guy about his first year as a pro:

Why Maryland basketball's Bruno Fernando has the potential to be a force in  the NBA - Testudo Times

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

Capela is a huge disappointment as far as I'm concerned.  I thought he was supposed to be a great defender and shot blocker.  He blocked a couple of shots in the last preseason game, but that's about it.  People went around him at will.  He's not much on offense either.  I would hope no one considers him a part of our "core."

He pretty much neutralized JV whenever they were matched up. You can't ask for much more than that. And remember Capela hadn't played NBA basketball in almost a full year.

• Thanks 2