• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The official NBASupes 2021 NBA Draft thread

NBASupes

• Premium Member

55 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

My International Exchange Rate game is weak, but...

~lw3

Smart.

Revenge of the Eurostashes.

"Gonna make me wait for my NBA debut? Okay, but there's risk to that now."

• Haha 1

I'm adding a new name to my list, as he is a guy who I've seen not only dropping to Atlanta but projected to Atlanta.

Keon Johnson, SG, Tennessee -- I'm not sold on his shooting, but this may be a situation similar to Cam Reddish in college where the system he plays in doesn't fit what he can do.  He's athletic as hell and has some remedial ball handling, though he can be a little loose with it.  If he shoots it, he's got a chance to be a legitimate two way player.  If he shoots it, he's a top 10 player in this draft.  Sam Vecenie has projected the Hawks to take him.

So, my list is definitely full of SEC flavor:

• Keon Johnson, SG, Tennessee
  • Jaden Springer, PG/SG, Tennessee
  • Tre Mann, PG/SG, Florida
  • Cam Thomas, SG, LSU
  • Joshua Primo, SG, Alabama

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm adding a new name to my list, as he is a guy who I've seen not only dropping to Atlanta but projected to Atlanta.

Keon Johnson, SG, Tennessee -- I'm not sold on his shooting, but this may be a situation similar to Cam Reddish in college where the system he plays in doesn't fit what he can do.  He's athletic as hell and has some remedial ball handling, though he can be a little loose with it.  If he shoots it, he's got a chance to be a legitimate two way player.  If he shoots it, he's a top 10 player in this draft.  Sam Vecenie has projected the Hawks to take him.

So, my list is definitely full of SEC flavor:

• Keon Johnson, SG, Tennessee
  • Jaden Springer, PG/SG, Tennessee
  • Tre Mann, PG/SG, Florida
  • Cam Thomas, SG, LSU
  • Joshua Primo, SG, Alabama

Are you not interested in Butler?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I am.  That was a list of the SEC guys.  I'm also interested in Butler, Murphy, and Duarte, but it seems like neither Murphy nor Duarte will be there based on the intel I have read.  

I have some interest in Zaire Williams as well.

Edited by KB21
  • Thanks 1

If the Hawks want to draft a guy with the highest upside, while not being concerned with playing him from day 1, they should go with Zaire Williams. Put him in the G-League for half a year to develop, and bring him up so he can learn behind guys like Hunter, Huerter, Bogi, etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

If the Hawks want to draft a guy with the highest upside, while not being concerned with playing him from day 1, they should go with Zaire Williams. Put him in the G-League for half a year to develop, and bring him up so he can learn behind guys like Hunter, Huerter, Bogi, etc.

All the draft nerds I've listened to say similar things about Williams.

On a similar note, I was surprised to hear a guy say the Primo kid could've gone back to school and been a lotto guy next year.  Think he's an elite guy that teams should take to GL him, profit later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

All the draft nerds I've listened to say similar things about Williams.

On a similar note, I was surprised to hear a guy say the Primo kid could've gone back to school and been a lotto guy next year.  Think he's an elite guy that teams should take to GL him, profit later.

Did you happen to catch your boy Fran on radio yesterday talking about Colbey Ross a senior guard from Pepperdine. They were saying he probably won’t get drafted being an undersized senior but they said he might get some invites to camp. They kind of compared him to a FVV. 

They also spoke about opportunities and Wes Matthews being a camp invitee years ago and getting a chance to play because CJ Miles got injured and how he basically carved his career from that opportunity.

Good stuff from Fran and the gang.

ps Does Fran strike you as a guy that wear that really musky cologne. :upsidedown:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Did you happen to catch your boy Fran on radio yesterday talking about Colbey Ross a senior guard from Pepperdine. They were saying he probably won’t get drafted being an undersized senior but they said he might get some invites to camp. They kind of compared him to a FVV. 

They also spoke about opportunities and Wes Matthews being a camp invitee years ago and getting a chance to play because CJ Miles got injured and how he basically carved his career from that opportunity.

Good stuff from Fran and the gang.

ps Does Fran strike you as a guy that wear that really musky cologne. :upsidedown:

Yep.  That's the conversation where the Pangos guy came up.

And, also yep, on the musky cologne for ol' Fran.  That guy probably smells like vintage 1976 in the discotech, but he knows his stuff.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, thecampster said:

To follow up on this, I'm very interested in Butler.  Unless Nate McMillan goes back to what he did before last year, and I would say he needs to continue to evolve his coaching, then Butler is a guy that fits what the Hawks look for to a T.  He's among the best in this draft at catch and shoot as well as pull up jumpers.  He's also a very good passer on the move and a strong ball handler.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Duarte gives me Draymond vibes. I know for a fact Draymond is telling management to swing #7, Wiggins, Wiseman for a player but draft this kid at #14. His confidence is high and his hustle is hard. The age thing matters less for us and I think less overall in the landscape of the league, I could be wrong. This kid might make an all rookie team right away.

i_39_0d_03_chris-duarte.png?w=190

For the inquiries about his age ― and, by extension, the negative connotations that accompany being the oldest first-round prospect of his class ― Chris Duarte has an emphatic answer. “I’m 24 years old and my response is, if you want to win right now, go ahead and take me,” Duarte said Tuesday. “If you want to win six or eight years later, goahead and draft an 18-year-old kid and develop him.”

We working out Duarte and Springer right before the draft.

I've been calling for Duarte in the few posts I've made in the last few months.  If we have to take on another rookie, give me the older guy ready to contribute.  I like the shooting, defense and intangibles.  Just seems like an excellent dude.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, txsting said:

I've been calling for Duarte in the few posts I've made in the last few months.  If we have to take on another rookie, give me the older guy ready to contribute.  I like the shooting, defense and intangibles.  Just seems like an excellent dude.

Ya this dude is creeping up to the top for me. Him and Butler I find extremely intriguing.

1 hour ago, txsting said:

He wont make it past GS at #14 imo....

All of the Athletic's beat writers held a mock draft today and this is the result. In order to follow the "not a full article" guidelines I'm removing all of the pick breakdowns for the other 29 teams other than the Hawks, just leaving the player picked info. 

https://theathletic.com/2734924/2021/07/28/2021-nba-mock-draft-warriors-add-jonathan-kuminga-davion-mitchell-as-reporters-make-all-30-first-round-picks/

2021 NBA Mock Draft: Warriors add Jonathan Kuminga, Davion Mitchell as reporters make all 30 first-round picks

The Athletic NBA Staff Jul 28, 2021 58 

1. Detroit Pistons

Cade Cunningham | 6-foot-8, lead ballhandler | 19 years old, freshman | Oklahoma State

2. Houston Rockets

Jalen Green | 6-6 guard | 19 years old | G League Ignite

3. Cleveland Cavaliers

Evan Mobley | 7-0 center | 20 years old, freshman | USC

4. Toronto Raptors

Jalen Suggs | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, freshman | Gonzaga

5. Orlando Magic

Scottie Barnes | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Florida State

6. Oklahoma City Thunder

Moses Moody | 6-6 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Arkansas

7. Golden State Warriors

Jonathan Kuminga | 6-7 wing/forward | 18 years old | G League Ignite

8. Orlando Magic

James Bouknight | 6-5 wing | 20 years old, sophomore | Connecticut

9. Sacramento Kings

Alperen Sengun | 6-10 big | 19 years old, international | Besiktas

10. Memphis Grizzlies

Josh Giddey | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | Adelaide

11. Charlotte Hornets

Jalen Johnson | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Duke

12. San Antonio Spurs

Trey Murphy | 6-9 wing | 21 years old, junior | Virginia

13. Indiana Pacers

Corey Kispert | 6-7 wing | 22 years old, senior | Gonzaga

14. Golden State Warriors

Davion Mitchell | 6-3 guard | 22 years old, junior | Baylor

15. Washington Wizards

Franz Wagner | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, sophomore | Michigan

16. Oklahoma City Thunder (from Boston)

Usman Garuba | 6-8 big | 19 years old | Real Madrid

17. New Orleans Pelicans (from Memphis)

Chris Duarte | 6-6 guard | 24 years old, senior | Oregon

18. Oklahoma City Thunder (from Miami via the LA Clippers, Philadelphia, and Phoenix)

Jared Butler | 6-3 guard | 20 years old, junior | Baylor

19. New York Knicks

Kai Jones | 6-11 big | 20 years old, sophomore | Texas

20. Atlanta Hawks

Keon Johnson | 6-5 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Tennessee

There were a few candidates I considered for this pick: Johnson, Cam Thomas, Tre Mann, Chris Duarte and Jaden Springer. Those names seem to be the most realistic candidates if the Hawks stay at No. 20. Johnson is more of a defensive prospect right now rather than a scorer, which is fine. The Hawks have many scorers on the wing right now and could use more defensive talent, which is the kind of prospect Johnson is. 

He’s one of the best athletes in the draft, with a lot of untapped potential. If the Hawks want to swing for a pick with a lot of upside, it’s Johnson. If they’d rather have someone who is more polished and ready to make an immediate impact, it’s Duarte, if he’s still on the board.  

Watch out for Thomas here, though, if he’s still available. The Hawks love players who can shoot off the dribble and off the catch, and he’s one of the best at it in this draft. 

– Chris Kirschner

21. New York (from Dallas)

Tre Mann | 6-4 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Florida

22. Los Angeles Lakers

Ziaire Williams | 6-9 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Stanford

23. Houston Rockets (from Portland)

Miles McBride | 6-2 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | West Virginia

24. Houston Rockets (from Milwaukee)

Ayo Dosunmu | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Illinois

25. Los Angeles Clippers

Jaden Springer | 6-4 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Tennessee

26. Denver Nuggets

Joshua Primo | 6-6 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Alabama

27. Brooklyn Nets

Day’Ron Sharpe | 6-11 Center | 19 years old, freshman | North Carolina

28. Philadelphia 76ers

Cam Thomas | 6-5 Guard | 19 years old, freshman | LSU

29. Phoenix Suns

Sharife Cooper | 6-1 guard | 20 years old, freshman | Auburn

30. Utah Jazz

Quentin Grimes | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Houston

Edited by RandomFan
  • Thanks 1

I'd love for us to move up to #18, in order to get ahead of the Knicks.  We can give OKC their 2022 FRP back (which will undoubtedly turn into two seconds).  Or maybe less (#20 and #48 this year?).