• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The official NBASupes 2021 NBA Draft thread

NBASupes

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Outside of John Collins and Onyeka Okongwu, Travis's picks have all been centered around players who could shoot, pass, and dribble.  I'm curious to see if that continues this year.  If it does, then I think the Hawks are likely looking at Chris Duarte from Oregon, Trey Murphy from Virginia, Tre Mann from Florida, and Jared Butler from Baylor.  If they are more focused on projecting improvement in those areas, then I think that brings Cam Thomas of LSU, Kai Jones of Texas and Jaden Springer of Tennessee into the mix.  

Well they are having Duarter and Springer in before the draft. Think it’s down to those 2 but I still like Butler a bit with that D and the outside stroke.

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Well they are having Duarter and Springer in before the draft. Think it’s down to those 2 but I still like Butler a bit with that D and the outside stroke.

Cam Thomas is getting some buzz as well, but between the three, he's the most singular oriented player.  Cam can really score, but he has no desire to defend or pass the ball at all.

• Thanks 1

A lot will depend on who the first 19 in front of us select.  Hawks have worked out enough potential picks that they have quiet a list of desirable players for both rounds.  We could trade - - up or down - - or stay.

Formerly, our wants and wishes were great big.  Now, with what we have, it is refined quiet a bit.  Other teams want what we already have.  "You know that you aren't good enough to have finished that high in the playoffs.  We have this real good player that you really need.  Just give us a couple of your starters and a draft pick or two and he's yours!"

Lou Williams may retire.  He may not.  He may be a Hawk for at least one more year.  That's fine.  Hawks may pick a PG at #20.  But, if that good defensive wing that can really score is there, we may pick him.  Not likely to happen, but what happens if Atlanta pulls off a big, blockbuster type trade?  The Squawk will go wild for a while, that's what would happen.

All things may be possible but not all things are probable.  Think on this....

:sun:

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

The things he does well translate to any level of basketball.

We'll have to move up in the 2nd to get him..He wont be there at #48 imo...We traded up for Bruno, so why not........lol

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Cam Thomas is getting some buzz as well, but between the three, he's the most singular oriented player.  Cam can really score, but he has no desire to defend or pass the ball at all.

We're not taking another player who has no desire to defend under Nate imo..Especially if theyre just a chucker..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Did we work out Zaire Williams? I havent kept up with everyone we brought in.....

5 minutes ago, terrell said:

Did we work out Zaire Williams? I havent kept up with everyone we brought in.....

Not sure I just heard the day before the draft that the last two prospects would be Duarte and Springer. I’m guessing we probably worked out Zaire. People are all over the place on him. 

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Outside of John Collins and Onyeka Okongwu, Travis's picks have all been centered around players who could shoot, pass, and dribble.  I'm curious to see if that continues this year.  If it does, then I think the Hawks are likely looking at Chris Duarte from Oregon, Trey Murphy from Virginia, Tre Mann from Florida, and Jared Butler from Baylor.  If they are more focused on projecting improvement in those areas, then I think that brings Cam Thomas of LSU, Kai Jones of Texas and Jaden Springer of Tennessee into the mix.  

I think you've put together a pretty accurate last as to who the Hawks are likely to zero in on. The only exception I believe is Trey Murphy, as he is generally regarded to be a poor dribbler who statistically has relied on being assisted for the vast majority of his baskets. And it is now looking like Duarte will be picked ahead of #20. So that leaves Mann, Butler, C. Thomas, K. Jones, and Springer as the likely suspects.

• Premium Member

Still believe we'll either take a PG as a long-term (not immediate) answer to groom behind Trae... or a PF as a long-term (not immediate) answer to groom behind Gallo.

Those are the two leading priorities.

I like Butler and to a lesser degree I like McBride. And I like multiple PFs... Kai Jones, Filip Petrusev and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl.

The other possibility is that Schlenk sits there awaiting a top 10 talent in free fall, which is altogether smart, but not predictable... particularly so in a draft where it appears that it's a crap shoot after the first 7-9 players depending on whose big board one happens to embrace... and assuming Schlenk's big board is comparable to whatever one you've chosen.

And. Still believe that it's altogether possible if not likely that we'll trade out of the first round completely, perhaps for 2nd round, perhaps for 2022 or beyond.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, parfait said:

I think you've put together a pretty accurate last as to who the Hawks are likely to zero in on. The only exception I believe is Trey Murphy, as he is generally regarded to be a poor dribbler who statistically has relied on being assisted for the vast majority of his baskets. And it is now looking like Duarte will be picked ahead of #20. So that leaves Mann, Butler, C. Thomas, K. Jones, and Springer as the likely suspects.

I forgot to add another SEC prospect to that list.  Alabama's Joshua Primo.  Now he's a guy that fits Travis's MO and also brings solid defensive ability to the table.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I forgot to add another SEC prospect to that list.  Alabama's Joshua Primo.  Now he's a guy that fits Travis's MO and also brings solid defensive ability to the table.  

Oh yes, I like Primo a lot too!

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Per the chart, trades seem to be more frequent every other year (with one exception when 2010 and 2011 both had a good number of trades).  So, by these indications, there should be around 10 trades.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

If we trade down 4 to 5 spots, he would be my target.

If we draft Cam Thomas then we would have 2 Cam’s. Having 2 Cam’s can be both a positive and a negative. One will have to role with a nickname. There can’t be a 3 on 1 break with Trae yelling CAM cuz they’d both look and be confused.

:indifferent:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

One will obviously be a Camborghini, the other can just be a Camry 

🤣

Nate played Lou...and he did it because Lou could fill up the bucket. Don't be so quick to make assumptions. 

Funny you or Walker mentioned Cam Thomas as I’ve been studying him for a bit. I didn’t know he was oak hill’s all time leader in points which is pretty huge. This dude can flat out score and on three levels, he seems to get to the line as well with a NBA body already which is great.

The part of his game that I didn’t love was his defense and his passing. Now granted we have a ton of defenders in Reddish, Hunter, Okongwu and others, should we care that he would be unable to defend on the second unit as much?

Reminds me of Jordan Clarkson in so much that he will be a bucket getter. At #20 you could do a lot worse. I love shooting for sure and he’s got that but I also like someone to be able to pass a bit too.

Thoughts on Cam?

• Like 1