• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The official NBASupes 2021 NBA Draft thread

NBASupes

15 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I wouldn't do that trade because you're going to have to pay Bamba after this year. He ain't worth a first round pick.

The concept is sound though.  And what's that dude done to command any kind of money on his 2nd deal?  Shiiii, has his rookie option even been picked up?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

He won't get anywhere near a max and may be a good young big to have on a good deal for three or four years. He hasn't shown much production and has been injured. 

So you'd pay Bamba at the expense of losing some of the other pieces in our core in a couple years? I can see a guy like him thinking he'll be worth a 4/$60 million contract based on how well he played down the stretch for the Magic.

It's not worth it to me. It's better to bet on cheaper talent that'll be on their rookie deal when most of core guys are up for extensions.

8 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

So you'd pay Bamba at the expense of losing some of the other pieces in our core in a couple years? I can see a guy like him thinking he'll be worth a 4/$60 million contract based on how well he played down the stretch for the Magic.

It's not worth it to me. It's better to bet on cheaper talent that'll be on their rookie deal when most of core guys are up for extensions.

He can want 4/$60 million, but that doesn't mean that's his market.  His market isn't that at all and he'll still be a backup here were I don't see him turning into a young Demarcus Cousins out there.  He wouldn't stop the Hawks from resigning anyone.  At this point he'd be lucky to get above the minimum. 

Edit: I'm not trading 20 for Bamba either. Just saying if they work out some trade for him I wouldn't be upset. Don't know what that would intel though. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I'm only trading #20 if it's in a package for a star that fits our timeline. And right now, no real superstars are available that fit that description. So keep the pick.

That's how I feel about our existing players.  It's not how I feel about the 20 pick.  I wouldn't mind trading that thing for a useful player.

Full disclosure though, I don't see much difference between pick 13-50, really.  Fit will determine the player's progression, imho.  Not many players in this draft that I'd lose sleep over missing out on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That's how I feel about our existing players.  It's not how I feel about the 20 pick.  I wouldn't mind trading that thing for a useful player.

Full disclosure though, I don't see much difference between pick 13-50, really.  Fit will determine the player's progression, imho.  Not many players in this draft that I'd lose sleep over missing out on.

Specially in this draft. They keep saying it’s a good draft but I feel it’s a weaker kne and lots of parity. Yup first round and second could be a minimal difference as far as the skill they bring to a team like us. 

I agree it’s a perfect 2nd round pick steal year for us. Let’s release our inner Spurs drafting here.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Specially in this draft. They keep saying it’s a good draft but I feel it’s a weaker kne and lots of parity. Yup first round and second could be a minimal difference as far as the skill they bring to a team like us. 

I agree it’s a perfect 2nd round pick steal year for us. Let’s release our inner Spurs drafting here.

To me, this is a good deep draft. From about 10 - 35 you have plenty of players with upside but with some flaws that will take time to iron out. There are for going to be some really good players found later in this draft. Good being solid starter material.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like this draft but I am still not sold on Capela being the center of the future and I still see Okongwu as a 4 due to his lack of paint protection which is needed around Trae. 

For 20/Dunn, I wouldn't mind WCJ or Bamba. Both should cost about 5-10 million per on their 2nd deal depending on performance. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I like this draft but I am still not sold on Capela being the center of the future and I still see Okongwu as a 4 due to his lack of paint protection which is needed around Trae. 

For 20/Dunn, I wouldn't mind WCJ or Bamba. Both should cost about 5-10 million per on their 2nd deal depending on performance. 

Isn't Wendell kind of Okongwu-like in terms of size and lack of paint-pro though?  At least Bamba has size.  I think he needs a change of scenery.  I think Wendell is just what he is.

16 minutes ago, marco102 said:

To me, this is a good deep draft. From about 10 - 35 you have plenty of players with upside but with some flaws that will take time to iron out. There are for going to be some really good players found later in this draft. Good being solid starter material.

Booooo.  This is exactly what I said just with a slightly rosier slant. 😎

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

@NBASupes

Keep an eye on this guy.

If he offers any defensive upside,  he would be perfect to pair with OO.

I hate when bigmen highlights focus on guard stuff like shooting.  That's a nice add-on to your game but I'd rather see a bunch-a dudes with pads in the lane and you foamin' at the mouth grabbin' a tip-in or something.  Or straight drillin' some baby hooks with either hand.  Or showin' off some smoooov footwork on defense.

Them spot-up'sll be like 6% of what the team needs from you, although it's nice to see you doin' it against no-cones.

Ah, don't be mad marco-polo.  Who would I be if I weren't the 'down on the draft' guy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, BangHolman said:

This feels like a draft where if you could flip the pick for a player you like on a rookie contract from another team, you could do it. Like the THJ trade we made in 2015.

Yep

1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I wouldn't do that trade because you're going to have to pay Bamba after this year. He ain't worth a first round pick.

Yep

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

He won't get anywhere near a max and may be a good young big to have on a good deal for three or four years. He hasn't shown much production and has been injured. 

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I've been an advocate of trading #20 for a young player on a long term deal (rookie or otherwise in the $10 mil range)

I don't like trading it for RFAs, they perform well enough all it takes is another team to offer more than we are willing to pay and they'll be gone. I'd only offer the OKC 2022 1st for RFAs.

For #20, I'd take a guy like Zubac 2yrs @$7mil per.

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep

Yep

I've been an advocate of trading #20 for a young player on a long term deal (rookie or otherwise in the $10 mil range)

I don't like trading it for RFAs, they perform well enough all it takes is another team to offer more than we are willing to pay and they'll be gone. I'd only offer the OKC 2022 1st for RFAs.

Zubac ain't got no potential to be a starter defensively around Trae nor is he worth 20th overall. You gotta have potential. WCJ or Bamba have some potential. 

Edited by NBASupes

41 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Isn't Wendell kind of Okongwu-like in terms of size and lack of paint-pro though?  At least Bamba has size.  I think he needs a change of scenery.  I think Wendell is just what he is.

Booooo.  This is exactly what I said just with a slightly rosier slant. 😎

I hate when bigmen highlights focus on guard stuff like shooting.  That's a nice add-on to your game but I'd rather see a bunch-a dudes with pads in the lane and you foamin' at the mouth grabbin' a tip-in or something.  Or straight drillin' some baby hooks with either hand.  Or showin' off some smoooov footwork on defense.

Them spot-up'sll be like 6% of what the team needs from you, although it's nice to see you doin' it against no-cones.

Ah, don't be mad marco-polo.  Who would I be if I weren't the 'down on the draft' guy?

Haha I don't get mad, but these young kids are coming with legitimate shooting potential.  It doesn't mean it'll translate though. 

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bamba

Bamba seems to be lacking something I covet, heart 💜… :mellow: If you have a body like his and talent like his, there’s really no excuse to be this far behind the game unless your not putting in the work. Dude has size and all the tools, what’s his deal? He’s like a damn Hasheem Thabeet man, if you’re gonna have god given attributes please use them and don’t slide on by and coast. That’s my whole thing with Mo. Does this guy want to be better?

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Zubac ain't got no potential to be a starter defensively around Trae nor is he worth 20th overall. You gotta have potential. WCJ or Bamba have some potential. 

We are talking about trading pick #20 for a backup Center. When we trading #16 what did you see as Clint's potential? At some point we need to look at guys past the proverbial 'potential' and look for guys that can give you 'production' that can give you wins.

56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep

Yep

Better.

Maybe Bamba needs a change of scenery.  Perhaps he just needs to be somewhere that people believe in him.  Hawks, as a team, believe in each other.  Wouldn't want to break the bank or anything, but, if he comes cheap enough, go for it!

Other places I keep reading about other teams wanting Gallinari.  Trouble is, we want him too and it's going to require major stuff to get us to move him.  

Also, seems that several clubs want John Collins if we would just turn him loose and let them sign him.  Nope.  We didn't take any stupid pills.  Another very costly move to get him.  Probably not even then.

One draft thread I saw had the Hawks taking Jaden Springer, guard, at #20.  I still want us to sneak in and steal Tyrese Haliburton from the Kings.  That, instead of drafting a guard.

:smug:

• Like 1