• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Backup PG

sillent

Obviously it comes down to how he plays but I think he could potentially earn his way up to backup point guard. I think he will get a lot of time in the G league. 

I’d still say we are very much running for TJ McConnell and Schlenk will be on his doorstep at 12 am est on Sunday August 2nd.

• Like 1

Coop will see plenty of time in College Park. He’ll also see time at #2 PG before the season is over. Where dem Avatar bets? 🧐 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

Coop will see plenty of time in College Park. He’ll also see time at #2 PG before the season is over. Where dem Avatar bets? 🧐 

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Mmm...I'm thinking about it.

If we sign a guy like TJ McConnell in FAcy you will lose that bet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If we sign a guy like TJ McConnell in FAcy you will lose that bet.

Probably  😬

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, hazer said:

Barring injury and FA signing, I think Dunn locks down the backup spot.

Lets revisit later. I’ll take the bet..

Edited by EazyRoc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, hazer said:

Who’s taking my avatar bet that Coop will be our backup PG before the end of this upcoming season?

I don't know what an avatar bet is, but I'll take it. If you're saying Cooper will be our #2 before the season is up...no way that's happening.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, niremetal said:

I don't know what an avatar bet is, but I'll take it. If you're saying Cooper will be our #2 before the season is up...no way that's happening.

See that pic you have of Trae in your profile - he gets to pick what yours will be if you lose, usually for 30 days or so.  It's usually a 'funny pic'  Example KB21 hated tanking, after he lost a bet and Hawks made the playoffs, AHF gave him a 'Love the Tank' pic

4 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Oof, I don't think it happens either, but you might want to consider a few things before making that bet. 

First, injuries to Trae or whoever we bring in for #2 PG could easily turn that on its head in a heartbeat. 

Second, we don't know who the #2 PG is we are bringing in. It could be that we strike out on all of our targets and end up with someone like Lou again. In that case I could easily see Sharife taking over by the end of the season. 

Third, if Sharife fixes his outside shot at any point before or during the season, then you are not keeping him off the floor for long. If that happens then we are looking at a bona-fide stud and future starter. 

But like I said, you are probably right, I just wouldn't be so convinced it couldn't happen. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Oof, I don't think it happens either, but you might want to consider a few things before making that bet. 

First, injuries to Trae or whoever we bring in for #2 PG could easily turn that on its head in a heartbeat. 

Second, we don't know who the #2 PG is we are bringing in. It could be that we strike out on all of our targets and end up with someone like Lou again. In that case I could easily see Sharife taking over by the end of the season. 

Third, if Sharife fixes his outside shot at any point before or during the season, then you are not keeping him off the floor for long. If that happens then we are looking at a bona-fide stud and future starter. 

But like I said, you are probably right, I just wouldn't be so convinced it couldn't happen. 

The caveat should be barring an injury to Trae.  All bets off if that happens.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

@niremetal is well qualified to negotiate the parameters of any bet.  Some bets are just simple "does X happen" while some have qualifiers like "bet is a push if player Y misses 20+ games."  Alex Len's injury a few years ago cost me one such bet sadly.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

To me, "#2" means he actually is #2 PG on the depth chart, not that he plays #2 PG minutes due to injuries.

If we were in development mode, I could see the other things being a concern. But unless Trae gets hurt and we end up tanking the season, I don't see Nate giving our rookie second rounder the first crack at serious minutes behind Trae.

While everyone is thinking about the question, "Who is #2?" ask yourself, what it this rookie plays so good that he takes over the #2 slot?  How good is he now?  How good can he become?

What do we expect from our #2 PG?  Sure, there are many things SC must learn to do as a Hawk.  Things to consider - He will play a lot like our current PG, don't you think?  He will have a great example to follow.  Our head coach once had some experience playing guard, I believe.  Having his help couldn't hurt.

Opinions are like noses and everyone has one.  No two are exactly alike.  Thoughts on SC range from being a full time PG on our G League team to becoming our #2 PG.  Either one is possible.  Think on all these things before you place your bets.  And, don't forget trades and free agency before the season begins.  This could have a great influence on all this.

😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, niremetal said:

To me, "#2" means he actually is #2 PG on the depth chart, not that he plays #2 PG minutes due to injuries.

If we were in development mode, I could see the other things being a concern. But unless Trae gets hurt and we end up tanking the season, I don't see Nate giving our rookie second rounder the first crack at serious minutes behind Trae.

🤷‍♂️

Then take the bet. 

One question though: how many minutes do you think that is? You and I are both of the opinion that Bogi and Kevin are going to eat into the backup PG minutes and be allowed to run the team in stretches. Especially during the regular season when we can experiment with how effective each can be in those roles for when the playoffs get here. So how many minutes are we talking about here? It could be as little as 8 to 10.

I'm really curious to see who we are going to target in free agency. I do understand we need a vet PG on the roster this year just in case Trae were to miss significant time. But now I'm really curious if we still look for a high quality backup on a multiple year deal in the wake of the Cooper pick, or if we lean towards aging vet on a short term deal to bridge the gap. 

I think I'd still lean towards the solid multi- year backup because we can always trade that contract later if we need to. I guess it depends on how we want to allocate our money though. 

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1