• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Delon Wright for a wing trade threads

NBASupes

• Moderators

Delon has been very good the last few years.  Unfortunately, he has been really disappointing so far this season.  He is posting career lows in a ton of areas.  I keep thinking that it can't continue over the long haul and still lean that way but it has been rough so far.

image.png

Still betting on regression to the mean (which would be a very good thing).

• Like 4

WOW!  Some of our posters kill me.  When you want to sell something do you always try to find fault with it and then point out to everyone what you believe is wrong with the product?

Apparently, many believe we would have to pay someone to take Wright off our hands.  Really?  Has he been that bad?  If the Hawks were winning no one would really notice but, come on, it's not all his fault that Atlanta doesn't win every game.

I notice that our G League duo are back again.  Will either one get a minute or two?  Guess it depends on the score.  If it does, I hope we're up big time and not so far behind we can't possibly win.  0017 is getting some playing time and will probably be back soon!

GO ATL HAWKS!

Please.  No yellow unis!

:smug:

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

Pardon me if I'm slow to embrace the conclusion of someone who earlier this year concluded this about Trae...

Here's what we all know.

At the start of the season, McM envisioned Delon in a backcourt with Kvon and Cam.

We're at the 30 game mark. Those three have now been together on the court for a grand total of less than 55 minutes.

Grand. Total. Fifty. Five.

That's not even barely close to a number that allows me to justify pulling the plug on the anticipation of production like what I/we know Delon has been to his teams the last 5-ish years.

Two more words. Small. Sample.

Two more words still. Slow. Down.

In my best Sammy Hagar voice..................

I can't de-rive... fifty fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.

23 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Delon for Josh Jackson

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y2y93sb4

Delon and TLC with a 1st rounder for T.J. Warren

Delon and TLC for Terrance Ross

Delon for Culver

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yynfrsws

Delon and TLC plus two 2nds for RoCo

What do you think is the best deal for Delon?

As a salary filler. Delon + Gallo is $29 million. That would bring back up to a $35 million player (ish). 

For example (and I'm not advocating for nor do I have any knowledge) but http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5mlmaph works (with obvious pick compensation). I'm of the belief that any team with Ben/Trae on the floor together would be deadly. Trapping Trae at the top leaves Simmons to getting the pass and creating with a 1v1 or zero v 1 matchup.  Simmons plays the point when Trae is on the bench.  Don't laugh this off quite yet. IMHO, that trade is by far the best value Atlanta could get back. Ben on the floor Trae could also play off ball like Curry.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He just doesn't fit. We are a PnR based offense where controlling tempo is critical and he just doesn't fit. Delon is versatile but he's not a true PG or even a hybrid. He's a combo guard that's limited to the PG position. For our style of play, he doesn't fit.

I'm glad you added this part. I don't think Delon is a poor player, but he's definitely struggling on offense. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AHF said:

Delon has been very good the last few years.  Unfortunately, he has been really disappointing so far this season.  He is posting career lows in a ton of areas.  I keep thinking that it can't continue over the long haul and still lean that way but it has been rough so far.

image.png

Still betting on regression to the mean (which would be a very good thing).

He had one game where he was really aggressive and then went right back to being extremely gun shy on offense. He literally looked afraid to score last game. He was hurting the team and I was glad when Nate pulled him early. 

14 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Here's stats for the P&R ball handler for the Hawks:

image.png

Mediocre numbers from Delon. (Trae leads the league in these possessions, by the way).

He's a good player but like Dallas, he will never fit a heliocentric offense

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

As a salary filler. Delon + Gallo is $29 million. That would bring back up to a $35 million player (ish). 

For example (and I'm not advocating for nor do I have any knowledge) but http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5mlmaph works (with obvious pick compensation). I'm of the belief that any team with Ben/Trae on the floor together would be deadly. Trapping Trae at the top leaves Simmons to getting the pass and creating with a 1v1 or zero v 1 matchup.  Simmons plays the point when Trae is on the bench.  Don't laugh this off quite yet. IMHO, that trade is by far the best value Atlanta could get back. Ben on the floor Trae could also play off ball like Curry.

I'd be happier with Simmons than most of the stuff that gets floated here.  It still doesn't work though as we have Capela on the roster and that relegates JC to sitting in the corner every possession to have even an inkling of spacing.  Our roster options are pretty narrow with Capela who cannot shoot outside of 0 feet and Trae who is undersized and needs to be hidden on defense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I'd be happier with Simmons than most of the stuff that gets floated here.  It still doesn't work though as we have Capela on the roster and that relegates JC to sitting in the corner every possession to have even an inkling of spacing.  Our roster options are pretty narrow with Capela who cannot shoot outside of 0 feet and Trae who is undersized and needs to be hidden on defense.

Philly would want Collins+ in any trade for Ben Simmons since we can't trade Capela until the offseason.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Philly would want Collins+ in any trade for Ben Simmons since we can't trade Capela until the offseason.

Oh, I didn't realize we were only talking trades for this deadline, but I suppose that makes sense.  I think it'd be doing a pretty big disservice to our roster and the guys we have to make large moves before the deadline.  We are done with the brutal part of the schedule -- let's see how we do the next 2 months and especially when OO gets back (in addition to our wings of course)

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

He's a good player but like Dallas, he will never fit a heliocentric offense

How are the Hawks so heliocentric when Trae is resting on the bench? 

I could see it maybe when Lou is out there with him, but that doesn't have to be the case. 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

My presumption... and I welcome correction... is that he was suggesting that when Delon is on the floor, the offense is handicapped because it is so framed on a scoring PG that it cannot function well w/o that.

It's actually not that far from my own assertion in the off-season that, indeed, the team functions best to the degree that the best of the skill sets of the 2nd string mimics closely that of the starters.

I would agree that there are more vivid mirror images of Trae than Delon, but at the same time, I've seen... many of us have seen, thanks to the blessing of YouTube... Delon take a lead and be a force on other teams as he did last year in SAC and DET.

As @AHF indicated above, this current status is a regression from his mean by quite a bit, and routinely, players with his track record will tend to balance out... and the way you balance out underperformance not merely by performing at the mean level, but by overperforming. Iow, there's a statistically good chance that once Delon begins to get comfortable, he not only gets comfortable, his numbers surge beyond what's been his average.

And welcome to my echo chamber... 55 minutes with your primary wingmates just isn't a lot of time over the course of 5 games... let alone 10... let alone 20... let alone 30. There's clear and compelling reason why Delon isn't comfortable out there yet.

Not a doubt in my mind 30 games in, that Delon Wright will be a colossal asset come playoff time when defense tends to be that much more a premium asset.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I could see it maybe when Lou is out there with him, but that doesn't have to be the case. 

We don't really run an offense and haven't since Bud. A lot of the stuff with do is PnR heavy, tempo controlling, and we rely heavy from the offensive creators to create for others. This is not the easiest systems for guys. Just like Lou failed in Bud's system, this system is difficult for someone like Delon because it puts too much on his place instead of just playing ball. The issue is, Delon while versatile lacks positional versatility so if he can't play PG, he can't really play at all. His impact is best at PG. 

Someone like Trae needs this system, if he played under Bud, he would be limited by it and would hate it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1