• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are some deadline deals that you think can help this team now and into the future?

ATLHawks3

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Terrell...You are sounding so short sighted...That was just one game...You do realize that right?  There are games where John mises only 1 or 2 shots and there are games where Gallo makes 1 or 2 shots.  You do follow the Hawks right?

Its not just about making shots....Gallo is much more of a threat on offense than JC. 

Gallo just as good as Collins defensively too imo... It's just that when Nate plays him and JC together his defense looks worse cause he slow.

He lacks foot speed and lateral quickess at his age, but He's a smart defender, he just doesnt have any athleticism...(see that charge he took late to seal the game)

He'll be fine if we keep CC or OO on the floor with him at ALL TIMES..

I actually hope we keep Gallo for the rest of the year.. He has balls, he's seasoned, makes the correct plays , and can shoot over people... I'd rather trade Collins and/or Bogi contracts if we make any deals before the deadline...

But Gallo stock is probably soaring right now. And that expiring contractis enticing..

He's played well for the last few games...

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, terrell said:

Its not just about making shots....Gallo is much more of a threat on offense than JC. 

Gallo just as good as Collins defensively too imo...

Personally, I'd rather play the player who actually makes the shot rather than threaten to make the shot.  Also what metric are you using to determine that Gallo is a better defender than John

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Chris Haynes talking about Trae putting pressure on management to bring in someone who will allow him to play more off-ball:

Starts around the 22nd minute.  Says JC knows he's likely the guy heading out if such a player is brought in.

Made me feel uneasy listening to him "report" on Trae during the game.  He's a well-connected mouthpiece that feeds info directly from players.  Not sure if it's good or bad that Trae's apparently on his roster of sources.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Personally, I'd rather play the player who will actually makes the shot rather than threaten to make the shot.  Also what metric are you using to determine that Gallo is a better defender than John

Gallo is a career 38% 3 pt shooter on high usage.. He's also 92% FT shooter who knows how to draw fouls...

And I didnt say his defense was better...Thats a false statement............ lol...

His 1 on 1 defense has always been pretty good though .. 

And he's pretty talkative on that end which helps..

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Gallo is a career 38% 3 pt shooter on high usage.. He's also 92% FT shooter who knows how to draw fouls...

And I didnt say his defense was better...Thats a false statement............ lol...

His 1 on 1 defense has always been pretty good though .. 

And he's pretty talkative on that end which helps..

ok what metric did you use to determine that he is just as good as John on defense?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mrhonline said:

and Moose

For the record, I had a State Farm Arena Moose sighting in my off-season amateur GM master plan, but honestly, thought the real GM got a steal in getting Dieng at the price he did.

Still do.

Dieng is more of a bad ass that you need in post season, throwing his weight around, playing enforcer as necessary, giving some fouls... yet also is capable of producing some numbers. So, I wouldn't have been disappointed with Moose, but have to give Dieng the nod.

And zooming out, still believe this roster will amaze once it can be legitimately said the first 10 guys are all legitimately healthy at the same time.

2 hours ago, mrhonline said:

Would love Kenrich .... But he's not gonna come cheap.

Yeah, tend to think that the GM is going to hold his cards until February 10, and will only roll the dice on a Kenrich kind-of-trade if this team gets on a roll these next 3 weeks... which I would define as winning 9 of the 11 remaining before the deadline.

But geez, CC and BogBog, we need you to get well.

• Premium Member

Here's my question...

If all of OKC players are so good, why do they suck?

I hear you guys say... 

"OKC will never trade Giddy." 

"It will take a lot to get Dort."

"Kenrich ain't going to come Cheap."

And SGA is probably Allstar talent. 

So.. if they are that great... Why is OKC  14-29 and 1 game out of last place in the West??

Now.. Here's what I know.  Their GM is Presti.   Presti does one thing well.  He accumulates talent.  Best Drafter ever.  But Presti is not so much of a team builder because for all the great players that he has drafted... He has traded most of them for more picks.   Look at his history.   He traded James Harden for Lamb and a pick.  He traded Gallo to us for a 2nd round pick.  He traded Jerami Grant for a first round pick.   That pick was Immanuel Quickley.. he traded him for a set of 2nd round picks. 

Presti will deal. 

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

I should know better than to respond, but just in case you are sincerely asking:

"Because their best players are still really young and aren't superstars."

I don't know if age moves the needle that much.  Memphis is just as young and they are one of the best teams in the west. 

I think that there are two things that Hawks fans do... that are contradictory:

1.  They think that we have the best draft picks in the world.   IF we drafted a player then they are great.  Too many instances of this.

2.  They value other teams non-stars as superstars.

It's funny to watch.

One moment, we're talking about how Bruno will be a star in this league giving time.

The next we're talking about Kenrich as if he will be a HoFer before it's all over. 

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, sturt said:

Not flashy. Just gets the job done. High defensive BBIQ might be his only clearly superior talent.

From the SLC paper beat writer (below)... indication that OKC is still in the draft pick collection biz.

So, if in 3 weeks we've done something close to 10 wins out of the last 12 games heading into 2/10 (deadline), I'd be willing to engage Presti on something that effectively nets out to a value on Williams at something in the 25-30 range. Could get complicated how that would actually translate because it probably would need to involve something more than simply Williams and one of our FRPs.

2022-01-19_12-23-11.png

2022-01-19_12-33-38.png

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

I should know better than to respond, but just in case you are sincerely asking:

"Because their best players are still really young and aren't superstars."

Nope - the easy and ONLY answer - The Tank Is On!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

EVERY TEAM is asking for First round pick(s) and young players.  We'll see what they actually get.  

I remember Detroit asking for the same for Drummond who was on an expiring contract - he was traded for a 2nd.  Some squawkers wanted to give up Reddish and the #16 pick, smh.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Point well-taken.

And news alert... being told that the settled science appears to be that beat writers are fallible.

But I do grant them an edge over my own guesses as to what player x costs, anyhow.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

EVERY TEAM is asking for First round pick(s) and young players.  We'll see what they actually get.  

I remember Detroit asking for the same for Drummond who was on an expiring contract - he was traded for a 2nd.  Some squawkers wanted to give up Reddish and the #16 pick, smh.

And I should add - all first round picks aren't equal - a top tier playoff team will willingly give up a first that's in the 22+ range vs a team that's on the playoff fringe or not at all.  Our OKC pick will likely be 2 2nd two years from now, the Charlotte pick is around #19,  Our pick is currently #9.

I also like to take into account the player contracts when dealing picks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Question:

Who is the best player or combination of players we can get for Gallo ($20.4 million) plus the Charlotte 1st (protected 1-18 in 2022)?

21-22 33 ATL NBA PF 34 1 23.1 3.3 7.8 .419 1.6 4.0 .401 1.6 3.8 .438 .523 2.2 2.4 .925 0.5 3.6 4.2 1.4 0.4 0.2 0.6 1.4 10.3

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Question:

Who is the best player or combination of players we can get for Gallo ($20.4 million) plus the Charlotte 1st (protected 1-18 in 2022)?

21-22 33 ATL NBA PF 34 1 23.1 3.3 7.8 .419 1.6 4.0 .401 1.6 3.8 .438 .523 2.2 2.4 .925 0.5 3.6 4.2 1.4 0.4 0.2 0.6 1.4 10.3

Eric Gordon and DJ Augustin?  shouldn't have to send the 1st tbh.    but then we are thin at PF.